How does a rogue fight the Undead?

coyote6

Adventurer
As long as we're giving advice 10 months later, use the 3.5e Weapon Finesse, so it'll affect those light maces, too. :)

Or, SPOILER for Necromancer Games' Vampires & Liches:

Persuade the GM to let you get the hollow blade -- a magic shortsword that lets one critically hit & sneak attack undead.

Last edited:

pawsplay

Hero
Since you have levels in Fighter and Ranger, all you really need is a +1 ghost touch bane vs. undead greatclub. Combine with Spring Attack. Voila. Failing that, make use of your Dex to use lots of holy water as a splash weapon. You can also taunt the non-mindless undead to keep them busy while the rest of the party does their thing.

Another interesting option is to get someone to cast death ward on you so you can wrestle the undead to the ground.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
coyote6 said:
As long as we're giving advice 10 months later...
Yes, I was surprised to see this thread pop back up. The campaign actually ended a few months ago. :p

Still, there's a lot of good advice here for rogues who need to deal with undead like I did. I only wish
that I had known about that Hollow Blade when we were playing. Yowza!

Darklone

Get the Feat Find the Secrets from the Kalamars Players Guide. Prerequisites: Imp critical with that weapon and some other stuff.

Allows you to sneak attack and crit constructs OR undeads OR elementals OR...

Shazman

Banned
Banned
If you're lucky enough to have chosen undead as your favored enemy, then improved favored enemy (+3 damage to all favored enemies) from the Complete Warrior would be very helpful.

Bleys

First Post
Epametheus said:
Though there isn't an actual proper undead-bane enchantment in the DMG...

In both the 3E and 3.5E SRD (I don't have the DMG page numbers ;)) there's a weapon enhancement called Bane, and one of the types for Bane is undead... unless you're referring to something else ;)

(Just trying to be helpful, that's all :D)

Wraith Form

Explorer
Shard O'Glase said:
Use your skills to help the party avoid the fights with undead.
As others have indicated, this is really a very wise option to think about.

It's what Bilbo would do. And you do want to be cool like Bilbo, don't you?!?

bret said:
Could you post the feat text?

Depending on how it is worded, it might actually allow a Rogue to get Sneak Attack damage on the Undead.

Supernatural blow (general)
Prereq: BAB +7, favored enemy immuned to critical hits
Description: Whenever your attack roll against this favored enemy would otherwise be a critical hit, you inflict +1d6 points of extra damage per damage die that your weapon would do on a critical hit. In addition, your favored enemy damage bonus applies to this creature type normally.

(Does this mean that when you hit with a falchion or a spiked chain, you deliver +2d6 points of damage? :p)

It's not that good a feat, IMO. A light pick could deliver +3d6 points of damage on a critical hit. A handaxe, +2d6. You still need to roll a critical hit and to confirm it.

What you could do is get light maces enchanted with the Spell Storing ability. In the long run, it'd probably be better just to use cure wands, when I think about it...

AR

Epametheus

First Post
Bleys said:
In both the 3E and 3.5E SRD (I don't have the DMG page numbers ;)) there's a weapon enhancement called Bane, and one of the types for Bane is undead... unless you're referring to something else ;)

(Just trying to be helpful, that's all :D)

Hmmm. I coulda sworn that Undead was conpiciously absent from the Bane list, probably due to the existence of the Disrupting enchantment.

If Undead doesn't actually have to be house-ruled onto the list, then that's even better.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases