Shadowrun: For Us It Was a Tuesday [OOC]

Unsung

First Post
Think I'll go with the rigger, and that way I don't *think* I'll be stepping on anyone's toes. I think I can lay hands on the main rulebook, so I can try and read up on the subject and try and look like I know what I'm doing. And if I don't, then that'll just be part of the character.

Shayuri said:
I did play Secret World as well. Fascinating concept for a game, and I really like what they did with some of the investigation missions.

Sadly, the MMORPG format sank it in the end for me. They couldn't break away from the now-prerequisite narrative interruptions of 'raids' and 'LFG' and so on.

If it had been a single player or co-op multiplayer game, it would have been phenomenal.

About the same opinion for me. I mostly played it as a huge fan of Ragnar Tornquist, and all that personality does shine through.

I just can't slog through the combat. I don't really see why MMOs, or even MMORPGs for that matter, all have to rely on this extremely slow, cooldown-based, menu bar combat system. I know there are practical concerns-- any action-based MMO is going to run into latency problems. But just focus on exploring, in that case, or like you said, take the 'massive' out of the MORPG. Small groups in tighter instances. A more interactive version of Left 4 Dead, Gears of War, or for that matter, Secret of Mana.

Shayuri

First Post
MMORPGs have become a genre unto themselves, and the formula for success is dictated by previous successes. Release one that doesn't have certain ingredients, and your client base becomes very 'niche,' and hard to profit from.

In fairness, it can be done. EVE Online is a good example of a very unconventional MMORPG. But it's also very niche, and very insular, and it will never be the next World of Warcraft that every investor wants their dog in the race to become. :)

galenbd

First Post
I apologize for my absence. I was without power for the last 24 hours. I'll try to get some focus on this game sometime today.

Unsung

First Post
I phrased that badly. I mean, I do get why companies make games based on that formula-- and gated content, addiction modeling, so on and so on. I even get that there are people who want to play that kind of game. I suppose I even get that cooldown menu bar combat is a legacy of RTS (and by extension Diabloclone and Infinity Engine-style games at the time). It just seems like such a giant waste of potential.

I know how risky triple-A development is these days. The market is saturated and a risk can sink the company. But if nobody has topped WoW yet, it's because it's not about the game anymore. Rather, it's the community itself. Just look at Lineage in South Korea. I think sticking too close to the formula is actually damaging to retention, which is where the real profits of MMO development are supposed to come from.

...bleah. Sad state of affairs.

galenbd

First Post
I appreciate the sentiment. We did all right overnight all piled under blankets in the same room. I do appreciate the power being back on however.

Shayuri

First Post
I think the entire MMORPG thing is an unstable precursor to a different form of online entertainment. A sort of...embryonic form for something that will be considerably more satisfying when it reaches maturity.

At least, that's what I hope.

Galenbd, glad you're okay!

Unsung

First Post
Fingers crossed, DT. There's so much ice on the hilly streets of Halifax that it's a hell of a thing trying to get anywhere.

So yeah, Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow this year. I checked.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
This has been a very cold, snowy winter for sure. The few times we were in danger of losing power I was legitimately scared. Happy the powers back on for you galen and hope everyone else stays safe!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases