Dark Pyramid of Sorcerer’s Isle

Kroad

First Post
3 out of 5 rating for Dark Pyramid of Sorcerer’s Isle

Played at winter fantasy with my group of 3 friends and two others. I was really looking forward to what I hoped to be a super fun scenario given he 8 hour time slot, but this was definitely a mixed bag. We had a great GM and a good, well-balanced group so the stage was set for a fun experience. My main issues were with pacing and storyline.

With regards to pacing, the first few encounters and last few encounters were very fun, but my friends and I felt that it bogged down in the middle with multiple "gimmicky" type combats where the creatures had one or more features (resistances, abilities, etc.) that made things a chore. With better luck and/ or different preparation it may go smoothly for other parties but it took us quite a bit of time. In terms of story, the scenario felt very disconnected from the actual events of the season which is too bad given that an 8-hour slot feels like it should really be something meaningful. This is more of a personal disappointment and others may be perfectly content enjoying it for the basic dungeon crawl that it is.

The finale here was a bit of a surprise, and involved some of my favorite monsters. We handled it pretty easily, but there is the potential for something very humorous/ bad to happen.

Overall I would say that this is worth playing, but I hope for more from future 8-hour events.

Last edited:

greekramos

Villager
4 out of 5 rating for Dark Pyramid of Sorcerer’s Isle

A few of the Adventurer's League games I've played got so bogged down in roleplaying of minor encounters with NPC's that we had to rush through the final act so we could finish on time. This adventure was slotted for 8 hours and kept a brisk pace throughout. It's a fairly straightforward dungeon delve with enough twists, turns, traps, and NPC's to keep things interesting. The combat was rather brutal, but we persevered and accomplished our mission. A quick synopsis: your party is called to a race to Sorceror's Isle which is at the center of a zone of strange, mutated flora and fauna. Find a way in before others do, and find out what's going on and how to stop it.This was one of the better AL adventures I've played and would heartily recommend it: lots of action, a fast pace, and a memorable location.

Remove ads