Pool of Radiance Resurgent

Kroad

First Post
4 out of 5 rating for Pool of Radiance Resurgent

Played at winter fantasy with 3 friends. Unfortunately it was only the 4 of us at the table, so we were very short-handed and likely significantly below the "optimal" level. In addition, it was unclear if the GM adjusted the difficulty given our levels (6) as the fights were quite hard and we basically had to use every resource we had to survive.

The scenario itself is a bit more "open" than most of the others we have played thusfar which was a nice change of pace. We took a very unusual approach (at least it surprised the GM), that seemed like a good idea at the time but needless to say did not work out very well in the end as we wound up having to fight basically 4 encounters worth of creatures all at once. We "finished" the adventure in a fighting retreat that culminated in my horn of blasting exploding (simultaneously quite funny and a bit of a bummer). At least we made it out alive and had a good time in the process.

Fights aside, we were a bit confused what our ultimate goal was in this scenario, and the ending was a bit anticlimactic. Some of this might have been due to the GM who was a bit on the "dry" side, but I expected something more relevant to the season given the Pool of Radiance tie-in. While there was a bit of a pucker-factor wondering if we were going to survive, we all felt that it didn't really matter if we succeeded or failed in our mission. Time will tell I guess.

Overall this is another one worth playing, and a nice change of pace compared to some of the more formulaic offerings.

Last edited:

DiscerningDM

First Post
4 out of 5 rating for Pool of Radiance Resurgent

Played this once and have DM'd it once. This adventure makes great use of the setting and had a very enjoyable overland travel section, and many opportunities for clever and smart play being better than just charging through. Expect this to take a full 4-hour slot.

Remove ads