Awakening Apocalypse - Chapter 2: The End of the Beginning

Mosier

First Post
The runners hastily make their way through the hallway and down a half-flight of stairs to the Basement-1 level. They're about to burst through a door that will lead to a commonly-used work area for CTI employees on this level. In less than a minute they'll be at the security office door, but there's no way to avoid it now. They're going to be spotted by CTI workers. The only question is whether the team will be immediately recognized as intruders.

Heartbreak overhears radio traffic.
"Team 1 to control."
"Go for control."
"I'm at the stairway landing. Everything seems fine. Maybe it was just a power bump that just hit this one circuit?"
"Copy, all clear."

Physical security doesn't seem concerned yet. Flipper, on the other hand, is tracking Heartbreak like a bloodhound.

-Heartbreak attempts to place another mark on the security radio hub - success
-Flipper searches for an intruder in the CTI host - success (1 hit). Flipper is now certain there is an icon running silently in the network (other than Flipper himself, of course)
-Heartbreak attempts to place one more mark on the security radio hub - success (Heartbreak now has 3 marks on the radio hub)
-Flipper searches for Heartbreak - failure! Heartbreak and Flipper both score 3 hits on their opposed roll.
-Heartbreak searches for Flipper - failure! Heartbreak scores 2 hits, and Flipper scores 3

Note: Flipper had the advantage of hot-sim immersion during the previous rolls.

The team opens the door to a hub area on the basement-1 level. A couple of CTI employees are in the area, and seem surprised to see the door open suddenly. Most of them just simply go around the runners, giving them a wide berth, but one man in a business suit approaches. He's wearing a name tag that says "Kevin," and has the air of a recently promoted low-level manager, with only a fraction of the power he wishes he had.

"You're in a restricted area! I need to see your employee cards, now."

Beyond "Kevin" is the security office. It looks like the security teams are all deployed elsewhere, and getting past this wage slave in a suit is the last obstacle to the Runners' destination.

TillForPie

First Post
Skinny glances aside left and right at the others. They make an odd-looking team: The cancer patient, Sergeant Cliche, Elrond with ink, and Miss Hipster Deluxe. Hell, half of them are openly armed. Taking a step forward, Skinny shows Kevin his employee cards.

"Hands on your f--king head!" Both silenced Ares pistols are trained on the manager's face in an instant and suddenly Skinny is alive, weakness temporarily giving way to violent animation. Hopefully the other runners try to cover the other employees in the room but Skinny isn't too concerned either way.

OOC: I suppose I'm trying to make an intimidation check. If Kevin is cooperative Skinny'll start driving him back at gunpoint toward the security office, pistol whipping him if it seems like it'd help speed things along. If Kevin isn't cooperative (especially if he tries to run or resist physically, unlikely as the latter seems) Skinny doesn't hesitate opening fire.

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Casper doesn't waste time talking. There's a tic tic whirr as her taser pistol pops into her hand from under her sleeve and it makes a soft coughing noise as it drives a taser dart towards the suit.

(OOC - Egad, must find my dice pools...sorry I was slow to post, been mondo busy, but I am on this!)

(Okay! Pre-adept Casper has 11 dice in her skill. She rolls 1 success on her attack roll (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4811749/), which sucks so she will spend 1 point of Edge to reroll her fails...giving her 1 more succes. Wow. Just wow. http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4811750/ So 2 successes. If Kevin doesn't avoid that with his defense, he'll take 7 plus any 'extra' succeses in Stun damage. Probably not enough to knock him out unless someone else does some work on him.)

(There goes my street cred. :mad: )

Last edited:

Rubberneck

First Post
Saint watches as the previously half dead guy burst alive with energy and thinks to himself the guy actually lives for this s**t. With the suit subdued he goes after the other two employees.

"Don't do anything stupid and you'll be just fine. Put your hands up and don't make a f****n sound!"

As long as they surrender without making noise the first one to scream catches a bullet.

Last edited:

TillForPie

First Post
OOC note: With the taser likely failing to subdue Kevin (I think? Just basing that on Shayuri's roll) Skinny will respond with lethal force to anything other than complete capitulation on Kevin's part. He lets Saint handle the others. Skinny's base pool with his pistols is 14 - not sure how firing two weapons would modify that?

Last edited:

Rubberneck

First Post
(OOC :: In regards to the dual weapon thing if I remember right it splits the dice in half basically between the weapons and then adds or subtracts dice depending. Not 100% on that though.)

Shayuri

First Post
(Using multiple attacks splits your attack pool, yes. You'd be rolling 7d6 for each attack. And remember, lethal damage won't stack with Stun, so you might be better off doing nonlethal if you can...unless you're sure of the kill)

TillForPie

First Post
(Wait, so dual wielding weapons gives no bonus at all to Skinny's potential damage output? Filling a guy up with bullets from two guns does no more damage than from one? I should read the new book more thoroughly but it's kind of a beast. And no, Skinny didn't bring nonlethal gear with him. I /feel/ like killing a civilian at point blank range would be easy but I guess I'm not sure. It was pretty trivial for my character who was also something of a murder machine in another of Mosier's Shadowrun games but that was the previous edition.)

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
(OOC - Well, it does, because you get to potentially do damage twice. :) So if your pistols do 7P damage, and you hit two times for 1 success each, then he's soaking 14 damage with two Body rolls, and that could easily kill him. Conversely, shooting once means you have 14 dice, which means you probably get another 2 or 3 successes, but that's still just 9 or 10 damage he's soaking...which is survivable on a good roll for him.)

Remove ads