What, exactly, is the job title of someone who makes PnP RPG's?

System Ufera

First Post
Hello! As part of an assignment in a class I'm taking, I'm supposed to make a presentation on a career of my choice. Now, I'm not sure if this would be an "acceptable" career for the presentation (I was given a small booklet containing career names and their DOT numbers, categorized by personality type), but I was wondering what the job title of a PnP RPG designer would be. Ideally, I would want a job title for something similar to what I'm doing myself, with my own game - I'm pretty much designing the whole game by scratch, designing the content and doing all the typing myself (though with suggestions here and there from friends) and such. Now, I'm not very educated in the whole "business" aspect of designing a game, so it could be that I'm asking a stupid question, but I'm going to have to learn about it all eventually anyway, and if I can get the assignment done in the process, then that'll be even better. I might have more questions as this thread goes on, but for now, I want to know where to start looking.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Whatever you want it to be! Developer? Designer? Writer? Author? Publisher? Which appeals most?

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
I would say "game designer" is the title for what you're speaking of. It doesn't matter what medium the game is using, whether a dice game, card game, board game, tabletop RPG game, PnP game, console electronic game, flash game, phone app game - they are all games, and must be designed to exist.

Remove ads