Children of the Gods: The Princess and the Dragon

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Cool! The DR and magic resistance should help (hopefully) with the squishyness, at least in the beginning.
Questions about the outsider class: What weapons and armor are they proficient in? Also, can the "special ability" gained at each level be substituted for a feat, or perhaps a class feature of the same level (for example, the monk's wisdom improvement to AC at level 1)?
I'm trying to get a feel for this option.
Thanks again and cheers!

SG

No, the outsider options are limited to monster features. Class stuff feats have to be gained from the appropriate classes or overall character levels. Also, they are not proficient in any weapons or armor (you'll have to pick those up from a feat or a level in a regular class).

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Ok, here is the first stab at my character. As I mentioned before, it's been a while since I played 3.5, so apologies if I made mistakes.
I'm still hesitating between monk and rogue as the 1st level class, so this is a work in progress.
I'm trying to use the crazy high dex with combat reflexes and with a spiked chain (non-proficient, for the moment) to make a squishy dex-based melee character that can still pack a punch (or punches, with flurry of blows ;-) and be playable until I can get past the LA. I'm thinking that while invisible, combat reflexes could come in very handily, especially while flying and a 10 ft reach. Since flight maneuverability is "good", the character can hover, so he could wait invisible as enemies maneuver by, hit them with the spiked chain using combat reflexes (6 times/round!) from above, and if they get too close, flurry them with kicks (or use stunning fist).
I may end up lowering the strength to increase the intelligence to get more skill points (the reason why I'm tempted by rogue); I'm not sure. I'm thinking that this will be more of a support character/party scout, so I'm thinking that skill points are important.

Anyways, feedback is much appreciated and please feel free to suggest background hooks!

Cheers,

SG

[sblock=character]
Name: Leaf
Class: Monk 1
Race: Pixie
Size: S
Alignment: LG
Deity: Ehlonna

Str: 12 (+1) [base 16, -4 pixie: 10 points]
Dex: 22 (+6) [base 14, +8 pixie: 6 points]
Con: 14 (+2) [base 14: 6 points]
Int: 14 (+2) [base 8, +6 pixie: 0 points]
Wis: 18 (+4) [base 14, +4 pixie: 6 points]
Cha: 18 (+4) [base 12, +6 pixie: 4 points]

Level: 1
BAB: +0

Reach : 5ft, 10ft with spiked chain

Speed: land: 20, fly: 60 (Good)
Init: +6
HP: 10
Spell resistance: 16 [15 + class level]
Damage reduction: 10/cold iron

Code:
[b]Total [/b] Base Armor  Shld  Dex  Size  Nat  unnamed  insight  Deflection Dodge[/B]
[b]AC:  23[/b]      10    +0    +0   +6   +1    +1     +0       +4         +0     +1

[B]Touch:[/B] 22               
[B]Flatfooted:[/B] 16

Code:
	Base    Mod     misc    [B]Total[/B]
Fort:...+2......+2......+0.........+4				
Ref:....+2......+6......+0.........+8				
Will:...+2......+4......+0.........+6

Weapon: unarmed strike
Attack: +7 hit, 1d4+1 damage OR +5/+5 to hit, 1d4+1/1d4+1 damage (flurry of blows) [+0 BAB, +6 dex (weapon finesse), +1 small, -2/-2 flurry]

Weapon: spiked chain, 10ft reach
Attack: +3 hit, 1d6+1 damage [+0 BAB, +6 dex (weapon finesse), +1 small, -4 non proficient]

Attack, Ranged: shuriken
Attack: +7 to hit, 2 damage OR +5/+5 hit, 2/2 damage (flury of blows), range: 10ft, P

Attack, Ranged: sling
Attack: +7 to hit, 1d3+1 damage , range: 50ft, B

Languages: Common, sylvan, Elf, Gnome

Class Progression:
Monk 1

Racial features:
A pixie character exchanges its 1 HD of fey for its first class level.

Pixie characters possess the following racial traits.

-4 Strength, +8 Dexterity, +6 Intelligence, +4 Wisdom, +6 Charisma.
Small size. +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, -4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits ¾ those of Medium characters.
A pixie’s base land speed is 20 feet. It also has a fly speed of 60 feet (good).
Low-light vision.
Skills: Pixies have a +2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks.
Racial Feats: A pixie receives Dodge and Weapon Finesse as bonus feats.
+1 natural armor bonus.
Special Attacks : Spell-like abilities.
Greater Invisibility (Su)
A pixie remains invisible even when it attacks. This ability is constant, but the pixie can suppress or resume it as a free action.
Spell-Like Abilities
1/day—lesser confusion (DC 14), dancing lights, detect chaos, detect good, detect evil, detect law, detect thoughts (DC 15), dispel magic, entangle (DC 14), permanent image (DC 19; visual and auditory elements only). Caster level 8th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.
Special Qualities (see above): Damage reduction 10/cold iron, greater invisibility, spell resistance equal to 15 + class levels.
Automatic Languages: Common, Sylvan. Bonus Languages: Elven, Gnome, Halfling.
Favored Class: Sorcerer.
Level adjustment +4

Class Features, Monk:
Unarmed strike: 1d4
Flurry of blows
Evasion

Feats:
combat reflexes (level 1 feat)
Dodge (Pixie bonus feat)
Weapon Finesse (Pixie bonus feat)

Improved Unarmed Strike (monk 1)
Stunning fist (monk 1)

Code:
[B]Skill Points:[/B] 24 ( monk 1), *are class skills

Skills               Total     Ranks    Mod     Misc  
Balance* (dex)         +6        +0      +6      
Bluff (cha)            +4        +0      +4          
Climb* (str)           +1        +0      +1      
Concentration* (con)   +2        +0      +2  
Craft* (wis)           +4        +0      +4
Diplomacy* (cha)       +7        +3      +4
Disguise (cha)         +4        +0      +4      
Escape artist* (dex)   +6        +0      +6
Hide* (dex)            +10       +0      +6	+4 small
Intimidate (cha)       +4        +0      +4      
Jump* (str)            +1        +0      +1      
Know. arcana* (int)    +2        +0      +2
Know. religion* (int)  +2        +0      +2
Listen* (wis)         +10        +4      +4	+2 racial
Move silently* (dex)  +10        +4      +6  
Perform* (cha)         +4        +0      +4  
Profession* (wis)      +4        +0      +4    
Sense Motive* (wis)    +8        +4      +4      
Search (int)           +4        +0      +2	+2 racial
Spot* (wis)           +10        +4      +4	+2 racial  					
Swim* (str)            +2        +1      +1
Tumble* (dex)         +10        +4      +6

Height: 3'6"
Weight: 30lb
Eyes: blue
Hair: Black
Skin: Tanned

Background
Leaf's coming had been fortold, and it awoke after lignting split the venerable oak tree. It came into being fully aware, knowing whom it was and what it was.
The elven cleric was with the old human monk, and they took him to Ehlonna's schrine deep in the forest where it would be safe, and learn about the world.
Leaf has recently learned that one of his god-born kin will be offered as a sacrifice to a vile dragon. This must not happen.

Equipment
Clothes
4 suriken
1 spiked chain
1 knife
1 sling
20 bullets
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Hm. Interesting. Pixie with a spiked chain. Except, you don't start with proficiency in Spiked Chains, I believe, yes?

Correct. Weapon finesse and the high dex modifier compensate for the -4 non proficiency penalty. I'm still playing around with the concept though, and may en up playing a 1st level pixie rogue with a rapier. I just like the weapon finesse + monk`s unarmed attack + 10ft reach of the spiked chain. The characters are children of gods, so I don`t see anything wrong with making a character that will have 1hd for 4 levels have a bit more oomph!
Cheers,

SG

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Oh, and part of me is tempted, when the time comes, to dragon disciple this little critter for even more oomph! We're playing children of gods, aren`t we?
;-)

SG

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
No. I specifically mentioned in the first post that the max ECL (Level Adjustment + Racial Hit Dice) was 5.

That makes a lot of sense! I forgot about the difference between La and ECL, and besides, I wasn't going to re-do my character, even for a monstrously powerful alternative! ;-) Thanks for the clarification!

Remove ads