D&D 5E The Last Stand

Herr der Qual

First Post
I was listening to 40:1 by Sabaton (good song) and it got me thinking about the soldiers who stand against impossible odds, entering combat knowing they will die, but feeling that it is worth it. This gave me a couple of ideas, one a campaign with an impossible battle end scenario a truly heroic last stand, that will give the rest of the world a chance to survive the onslaught they blunted, or a campaign that starts with one, the party are the only ones from the stand that survive their wounds, but start in captivity, they must find their freedom and then work behind enemy lines to save the lands that were taken by the onslaught they couldn't hold back... Any ideas or people interested in those scenarios I'd love to hear from.

Lastly, I was thinking of putting together a one night, one run, 5 - 15 people bring their best characters we log onto something like Fantasy Grounds and I throw challenging encounter after encounter at you, think the movie 300.

Just thinking about some fun ways to retire a character, I run a homebrew world and every PC that plays in it remains in it as an NPC for any further games I run, those who die are remembered in some way, the amount of glory attached to them by how high of level and the nobility of their death, so letting a party die, in defense of the land the next time that group played a campaign of mine they would see the effects of their previous campaign, squares devoted to them, statues, bards singing of their deeds, I think that would make a nice touch.

Cernor

Explorer
When I read through the end of RoT it seemed like a "last stand" kind of fight. If [sblock] Tiamat is summoned to the Material Plane, your last stand has the freedom of the world (or at least the Sword Coast) at stake.[/sblock]

If not, you still have an epic battle going on (which you don't get to see because you're a bit distracted).

Waaayyyyy back in 2E, I began an Ancient Egypt-style campaign. The plan was to end the campaign with the end of the world; it was the turning of a cycle, and there was nothing that could be done to stop it. What the PCs could do, however, was determine if the next world was fundamentally good (if they won) or evil (if the villains won).

Alas, it fell apart for RL reasons after just a few games, so I never got to see how such an ending would play out. (FWIW, this was a group I knew very well and gamed with a lot, so I was willing to make some campaigns a bit experimental in nature.)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases