A DnDChick Blast from the Past!

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
Thoul
Medium-size Monstrous Humanoid
Hit Dice:
3d8+12 (25 hp)
Initiative: +6 (Dex, Improved Initiative)
Speed: 40 ft.
AC: 14 (+2 Dex, +2 natural)
Attacks: 2 claws +5 melee
Damge: Claw 1d3+2 plus paralysis
Face/Reach: 5 ft. by 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Paralysis
Special Qualities: Fast healing (1), darkvision, scent
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +3
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 14, Con 18, Int 9, Wis 11, Cha 10
Skills: Hide +8, Listen +5, Move Silently +8, Spot +5
Feats: Improved Initiative
Climate/Terrain: Any land and underground
Organization: Solitary, squad (2-5), or troupe (3-12 thouls plus 1d6 hobgoblins of 1st - 3rd level plus 1 hobgoblin “king” or 6th level or higher)
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always chaotic evil
Advancement: By character class

Arcane experimentation by hobgoblin loremasters ages ago produced the bizarre race known as the thouls—magical hybrids combining a hobgoblin with certain aspects of a ghoul and a troll. It is assumed that the hobgoblins wanted to create a race of bodyguards that had the power and regenerative properties of a troll as well as the paralyzing touch of a ghoul. What they got instead was a pitiful, pained creature that, although quite capable of filling the role of bodyguard, was nowhere near as powerful as the hobgoblin kings had hoped.

From a distance of greater than 10 feet a thoul closely resembles a hobgoblin; it takes a Spot check (DC 15) or previous experience with hobgoblins to tell the difference. A thoul’s skin is slightly greener and lumpier than that of a hobgoblin, and its nose is long and hooked—no doubt these features are holdovers from its trollish aspects. Also reminiscent of the troll anatomy is the thoul’s ability to rapidly heal damage. The thoul’s healing is not nearly as powerful as that of a full-blooded troll, perhaps because the regenerative property constantly has to deal with the rot and putrescence of its more ghoulish aspects. Thouls have a slight odor of decay, reminiscent of a ghoul.

Combat
Although thouls can fight with melee weapons, most of them avoid doing to in order to make use of their paralyzing claws.

Paralysis (Su): Any living creature struck by a thoul must make a Fortitude save (DC 15) or be paralyzed for 1d3+1 minutes.

Fast Healing (Su): Thouls heal 1 hit point of damage per round.

Thoul Society
The secret to the creation of a thoul has been lost to history. Little has been seen or heard from the thouls for some time and indeed this race was thought to have died out long ago. Some rumor that the strange creatures were unable to reproduce and propagate, while others suggest that the hobgoblins realized the error of their ways and embarked on their own secret campaign to destroy them. The rumors of the extinction of the thoul are false, however, and in recent years more and more of them have been crawling up from the depths of caves and dungeons. It would appear that thouls can reproduce after all, and have been doing so in some secluded retreat far from all other races. Thouls have once again started to appear in the company of powerful hobgoblin warlords. The mistakes of the past are so quickly forgotten.

Much to the dismay of villagers and adventurers alike, the thouls are back.

Thoul Characters
The favored class of a thoul is fighter. Most thoul leaders are fighters or barbarians. The instinct for battle is so strong that most thouls rarely become any class that is not capable of combat.

This oldie but goodie was in D&D Basic.

Last edited:

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
Thanks! A lot of people have been asking for this one, and I just got the original version of it this morning. I figured I had better convert it and post it right away! :)

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
Clay_More said:
Were they CE in the original version as well? Just a question, as it stands out against the normal Hobgoblin LE.

That it does, but in Basic D&D, there were no "Good" or "Evil" alignments. Characters and monsters were just Lawful, Neutral, or Chaotic. The BD&D stat block had the Thoul as Chaotic, so I just made them chaotic evil.

Maybe their penchant for chaos is why the hobgoblin kinds found them unsuitable to continue employing?

Clay_More

First Post
Alas, I had forgotten. I actually played BD&D, but its been soo long and I dont touch the books anymore. It does though make sense, since the Hobgoblins obviously decided to stop using them at some point or another.

My players will soon be rockin' it OLD SCHOOL style, yo!

I'm definitely going to have my party face one of these soon, it'll be fun to hand over a note that says the aforementioned. :D

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases