D&D 5E [D&D 5e] Planescape - In Through the Out Door

Shayuri

First Post
Shard nods at the armored woman and jabs her spear back into the common room, where the battle at the portal rages.

"In there!" she calls. "Monsters attacking through one of the cracks!"

She brings up the rear of the procession up the stairs, preparing to strike a blow against any of the creatures who try to harry or delay them.

(OOC - Readying an action to cast a spell against the first critter to attack a PC)

[section]Picayune didn't bother with the stairs. He phased through the ceiling, directly into the room above. He then headed through the wall, trying to get a sense for where the hallway might be in the upper storey. Once he found the hallway, he counted rooms until he found Bix's, then phased right through the wall into Bix's chamber.[/section]
OOC: No clue if Picayune has enough movement to do all that. He already moved from the table over to Graydon this round. I'll let you adjudicate how much of the above Picayune can do in Round 1. I still want to do all of it, so any leftover bits can wait until Picayune's turn for Round 2.

Unsung

First Post
OOC: It's a new round, so you would have your full movement back for this turn.

The floorboards fairly swarm with fleeing rats, living and dead. As Picayune passes through the dusty planks, for one brief moment, as one, those still living all turn to stare at him...

...then, a moment later, they're just rats again, hurrying on their way from the deepening brawl below.

[sblock=Picayune - Insight DC 10]
Belatedly, Picayune realizes that whatever the state of his spectral body, the white glove is physical, however magical. He can't take it with him if he phases straight up through the floor.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Unsung

First Post
The guardswoman flattens herself against the wall to let the party past. "Go! We've got a full battalion on their way here from the Barracks!" She raises her voice over the sound of splintering tables from the next room. "This doesn't seem a full-scale invasion-- the 'loths won't risk Her Serenity's shadow falling on 'em-- so you should be safer out-of-doors until this all blows over. Look for the red," she says, tapping her sparkling scarlet breastplate.

Lili and her stalwart pseudodraconic steed are first to reach the top of the steps. They look down a mudstreaked hallway. Two figures are there already, catching their breath. The lizardman in the tricorn hat is recognizable as one of the first to come through the portal to Torch. He's wide-eyed and babbling uncontrollably, being consoled by a genasi who seems almost entirely transparent.

They aren't alone for long, however. With a sudden oppressive darkening and stretching of space itself in front of the party, another of the four-armed insect monsters suddenly appears out of thin air, lofting a pincer-tipped polearm at the Torch refugees with a fearsome downward stabbing motion.

OOC: The mezzoloth just teleported into the hall directly in front of the party. This new mezzoloth appears largely untouched. It is about 10 feet away from the top of the stairs, but the hall is narrow, so it's mostly blocking it. Bix's room would be on the other side of the creature and his intended victims. The hall is lined with many doors, each about 5 or 10 feet apart-- many of them have been left ajar in the occupants' hurry to leave. In the other direction, behind the mezzoloth, it takes a corner. Judging by the noise, there might be an exit to the street, but Barstle specifically told you to find Bix and follow him into the courtyard.

What do you do?

Last edited:

Pembinasa

First Post
Graydon couldn't spare a thought for Shandrizar's surprisingly good suggestion just yet, being too busy helping and chivvying Rusty up the stairs; from the look of things, their hosts had things contained well enough for the moment. Once they were at the stairs, the young wizard could let Shandrizar back out; there was no telling how many times he'd need to return to that pocket, so better to keep him from getting bored with it for as long as possible...

Which is when the big bug showed up in front. Oh, to the Break with that thing! "Everyone, incoming! AXUNGIA!" A flickering of his hand and a word of Power, and the bug-thing's hind legs were sinking into a copious layer of thick, slippery grease- even as it swung its polearm down.

Graydon really regretted choosing his day's spells based on what would help him escape from random muggers, but it's yet another exercise in versatility, right?

Last edited:

[section]Picayune tugged off the white glove, and cast it to the floor. "Ain't no fashion worth dyin' for. Thing's been strugglin' to get free, anyhow." Unencumbered, the effigy burst upward through the ceiling, hunting for Bix.[/section]
OOC: Let me know if Picayune comes out on the opposite side of the mezzoloth. Is he alone behind the mezzoloth? Or is he with the group, facing the mezzoloth?

Unsung

First Post
The glove tugs itself off and floats off into the bar. Picayune doesn't see where it goes.

The effigy rises through the floor into what appears to be a small, messy room. Shirts and pants hang from a coatrack, with a torn painting pressed between the coatrack, the wall, and a pair of boots. A narrow bed, unmade, is crammed in between two bookshelves and an armoire. The latter has what appear to be large claw marks gouged into the reddish wood. The former is mostly empty, lined with empty bottles and other detritus, daggers, half-eaten food items, a small spread of silver and copper coins, an ocarina made of carved bone, and two thin-looking books. On the back wall are several empty hooks, suggesting a level of organization not present elsewhere in the room.

Outside the door (locked, with the key still in it), Picayune can hear voices raised in fear, and the hissing of one of the giant bug-creatures.

Quickleaf

Legend
Telepathically, to Graydon:

Might I suggest, Conjurer, that this would be a superlative time for a Lightning Bolt or at the very least Mordenkainen's Sword. By the by, we once found Mordenkainen chasing a polymorphed yugoloth from his bedchamber wearing nothing but his wizarding hat. That's a memory that doesn't fade easy. I always suspected Mordenkainen's sword was meant to compensate for something...

Ah, I'm rambling. I'm rambling, aren't I? Dark spaces make me nervous. Actually, so do fiends. When I'm nervous, I tend to to ramble. Don't worry, it's a problem I am well versed in handling! A simple Tranquilify spell will... Oh damn it.

Shandrizar *bampfs* into the hallway next to Graydon when called from the extradimensional space that familiars go to when they die. Whirling about the face-shaped spellbook notices the mezzoloth down the hall standing in a puddle of grease.

Out loud: "Grease? Really? That was your big plan? Yugoloths are slimy enough as it is..."

OOC: Readying to attack the mezzoloth if it moves next to himself or Graydon.

Last edited:

Fenris

Adventurer
The guardswoman flattens herself against the wall to let the party past. "Go! We've got a full battalion on their way here from the Barracks!" She raises her voice over the sound of splintering tables from the next room. "This doesn't seem a full-scale invasion-- the 'loths won't risk Her Serenity's shadow falling on 'em-- so you should be safer out-of-doors until this all blows over. Look for the red," she says, tapping her sparkling scarlet breastplate.

Given permission, if not a command to leave, with bravery, honor and cojones intact, Oz gives Adal a supportive pat on the flank as he heads up the stairs. A silent curse escapes his lips as the demon appears in the hallway. That silent curse gave him and idea "It worked well once" he thought to himself. Oz called up the odd melody that wound it's way silently and invisibly to the demon.

[sblock=OOC] Casting Discordant Melody
14 points psychic damage and flee unless make DC 13 will save.
Roll(3d6)+0:
6,6,2,+0
Total:14
[/sblock]

Remove ads