Welcome to the Halmae (updated 2/27/07)

spyscribe

First Post
Want facts at a glance? This story hour is indexed!

If you're just starting out, I recommend StevenAC's excellent compiled pdf files, complete with sidebars, illustrations, and selected thread chatter. (Some of the chatter isn't even in the thread. Spoooooky...)

Ahem, yes. And if you aren't a player in the campaign, you might want to drop by Fajitas' Rogues Gallery thread, Secrets of the Halmae. It's like a glimpse inside his dastardly little mind.

And now, a new map!
A brief note for the uninitiated:

This Story Hour is being written for two reasons and two reasons only. I am (1) compulsive and (2) poor.

"What the hell?" you might be reasonably asking yourself. Really, it’s quite simple. This campaign has been ongoing for almost a year and a half now, and for most of that time people (who shall remain nameless) have been musing aloud that there ought to be a story hour. But we’re all too busy, or too daunted, or too whatever to take on the task.

But, as I mentioned, I’m compulsive. I take a lot of notes. Some nights, the pencil doesn’t stop moving. After all, someday we might want to know that the night of November 25th passed without incident although there were some odd sounds coming from the tunnel we were sleeping in. It could be important. This note-taking has been noticed. Guess who gets tapped to write up a Story Hour. No, no, go on… guess. You get three, but the first two don’t count.

Okay, you got it? Anyway, this hinting has been going on for months. Why has my resolve crumbled now?

Well, you might recall I mentioned the whole poverty bit. Today is our DM’s birthday. I really ought to get him something. So I thought, "Hey, I’ll get him a Story Hour. It’s the gift that keeps on giving."

So Happy Birthday, Fajitas. Now you can show all your friends that you have a real, live campaign, and you know this log will get updated at least once a year, maybe twice, what with Hanukkah and all. Seriously, I hope you like it.

And if it doesn’t fit, don’t worry, it will be bigger.

Last edited:

spyscribe

First Post
Part the First

Part the First:
In which: the party grows ever larger

(Another note: this is not the beginning of the campaign. I joined the group after they had been playing for several months and so this is as close to the beginning as I can lend a first-hand account. If someone (hint hint) would like to tell the story about Reyu and the bear trap, that someone would be most certainly welcome to add recollections for the sake of historical completeness.)

The group was beginning to reach an impractical size. Their cart was filled with people, and even though several had opted to walk along on foot, the temple mule who had been pressed into service for the job of drawing said cart had taken to looking forlornly over his shoulder to the Elven woman at the reins with an expression that said, "Isn’t it time to go home yet?"

Reyu, the aforementioned Elf, passes the look on to her cleric companion, Anvil the Just. It had been at his temple’s behest they had traveled to Dar Aego on a mission to buy the freedom of several citizens of Dar Pykos who, through a legal loop-hole, had been sold into slavery in Dar Aego. In fact, several members of the party had nearly fallen into that trap themselves. Their task now was almost done, and if they never saw Dar Aego again, it would be too soon. "Is there just the one left?" she asks.

Anvil nods. "But I’ve received a message from al-Assal. He wants to see us again before we leave."

"Why?"

"He didn’t say."

From the cart, a bearded man about three feet tall pokes his head up. "Maybe he still wants me to come work for him." Reyu and Anvil exchange a look over the gnome Hue’s head. Anything was possible.

Anvil shrugs, "The farm Collin Meadowson was sold to is some distance from the city, on the road back to Dar Pykos. We might as well see what al-Assal wants, and then stop for Collin on the way home."

None of the five lately freed slaves in the cart are going to argue against spending as little time in the city as possible, so the party turns slowly round towards the gates of Dar Aego.

Dar Aego is one of seven city-states in the Darine Confederacy. It is renowned for its opulent lifestyle—assuming you have the coin to pay for it—and its lovely architecture, free for the viewing. Unfortunately, architecture is about all that Dar Aego gives away for free. If you’ve got money though, anything is for sale, including justice.

Anvil would happily burn the entire city to the ground, and then a little lower for good measure.

The House of al-Assal is… well… a brothel, but a plush one. The proprietor himself welcomes the party warmly. "Ah, it is good to see you again." His gaze falls to Hue. "I don’t suppose you’ve reconsidered my offer? Some of my clientele have very…exotic tastes… you could be a rich man."

Anvil cuts him off. "What is it you desire of us?"

The master of the house is unruffled. "Well, I have aided you in your quest here, and I would like to request a favor in return."

"What kind of favor?" asks Reyu with not a little suspicion.

"A young lady arrived in the city last night. She was supposed to meet a caravan going to Dar Pykos but she was delayed on the road, and they left without her. I assume you will be going in that direction soon. Perhaps you could take her there?"

As he speaks, al-Assal draws aside a brocade curtain, revealing a human girl. She’s about 19, thin, pretty, petite, and looking rather shell-shocked at being confronted by the mass of the party. She wears ordinary traveling clothes and would be nondescript if not for her striking red hair and the weasel poking his nose out of one of her cloak pockets. He and Hue’s ferret eye each other warily.

"What’s your name?" asks Reyu, not unkindly.

"Lira."

"Why are you going to Dar Pykos?" Anvil shoots next.

"I’m meeting a friend there."

Thatch, the young fighter, has been quiet but breaks in with, "Can you fight?"

Her shrug says, "I’m a 98-lb weakling, do I look like I can fight?"

Anvil informs her, "We are on a mission for Kettenek, freeing those who have been wrongly—"

"Can I come?"

"Can you leave immediately?"

Lira grabs a backpack resting by her feet and slings it onto one shoulder. "Yes."

The rest of the party exchanges a quick look. "Let’s go then."

They leave with hardly a backwards glance. Except Hue, who turns as they leave to call back, "I’ll think about your offer… It sounds very interest—" before he is picked up by the back of his coat and hauled off by Thatch.

Within minutes, the party is leaving Dar Aego as quickly as their much put-upon mule can take them.

Last edited:

Fajitas

Hold the Peppers
Wak! Now that's a birthday surprise, and no mistake.

Thanks, Spyscribe. Now I'll have to push Wisdom Like Silence to get the first few adventures written up.

I can also post some world-y background information for interested readers. Enjoy.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Whoo hoo! One of my favorite West Coast players (Fajitas played Shara in my Eversink campaign, and Wisdom Like Silence played Kiri) has his own campaign and story hour.

Damn it, if I can't play in it, at least I get to live vicariously. Bliss. Thanks, Spyscribe!

spyscribe

First Post
Fajitas said:

Thanks, Spyscribe. Now I'll have to push Wisdom Like Silence to get the first few adventures written up.

Yup yup yup! :)

Also, a thank you is due to WLS, for reading this in advance of posting and providing detail and suggestions (although any mistakes are still mine, all mine!).

Because (ironically enough) we haven't gotten to the part of the campaign where I really started taking notes yet.

WisdomLikeSilence

Community Supporter
Ahh, but you actually wrote it.

Just a note for our gentle readers. When we started this campaign Spycribe was brand new to role playing. She's done splendidly, and is now one of our resident rules experts.

-WLS

dpdx

Explorer
Cool! Another fruitful result of "Six Degrees of Piratecat, Kidc and Sagiro." And another Story Hour I'll be paying rapt attention to. Well done, spyscribe. I look forward to your next update, even if it's not my birthday present.

Snipet

First Post
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Wow! I'm impressed! This is so cool. Now I'll get the whole story about what happened before I joined the campaign!:)

spyscribe

First Post
First, thanks to everyone who has read and commented, or just lurked. This plan has been hatching for more than a month, and it's a little strange to have it out in the open. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Look for a story update soon, but, in the meantime, Adar al-Assal (whose name has been corrected in the above text) has registered a protest regarding the characterizion of his establishment in the previous chapter.

"A brothel?" al-Assal sniffs. "My dear young lady, the House of
al-Assal is bar none the finest pleasure palace in all the Halmae. We can
provide for your every whim or pleasure, sensual or intellectual, and we
cater to your every dream and desire. A mere brothel aspires to provide the
most meager of services for which the House of al-Assal is renown." He
finishes with a flourish and a low bow.

The management wishes to clarify that it meant no offense to Mr. al-Assal, and invites those who have visited the establishment in question to further enlighten the general public with their testimonials.

Further, if the general public desires clarfication on any matter regarding the Halmae: its political structures, geography, customs, or the persons (generally or specifically) therein, said public should feel free to pose such questions so that the management and editorial board might provide illumination.

Thank you.

Orichalcum

First Post
Testimonial

As a renowned connoisseur of the brothels...ahem...pleasure domes of the Halmae, I would give al-Assal's establishment two kisses and an embrace. While the enthusiasm and verbal talents of his cadre of damsels often leave something to be desired, the divans are always soft, and the decor impeccable. Of course, the place would have an improved rating if its interior plumbing was superior.

Michel al-Zagatan

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases