Kentucky gun laws?

Pagan priest

First Post
Does anybody know what the gun laws are in KY? I am planning to set an adventure there and want to use this as a potential stumbling block for the party. Right now, they have a D&D mentality: if it moves, kill it; we ARE the law, etc.

Bran Blackbyrd

Explorer
My father is from Kentucky. I'm pretty sure the law is, "smoke 'em if you've got 'em", but only if you live far enough back in the woods. :)
Then again, back in the old days they used to play with dynamite too...

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Save for going to college, and being here in Japan, I live in Kentucky.

As far as I know (and I could be wrong), you are allowed to carry a gun if you have a license for it. However, carrying it concealed requires another license. This can lead to the rather ironic situation where if you're carrying your gun openly in public, you won't get into trouble, but you might it someone finds it hidden on your person and you have no license.

Most government buildings are gun-free zones, and usually have some sort of sticker or something in a conspicuous area near their entrance to indicate that bringing a gun inside is illegal.

It's still legal, I think, to buy a gun at gunshows there. Little problems like serial number registration and background checks aren't bothered with there, since that would take away from peoples enjoyment. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

JimWardrip

First Post
The link I provided goes into much greater detail but basically the law is that you may carry a sidearm as long as it is in plain view (barring any local ordinances) and you are not prohibited from legally owning a firearm.
To legally carry a concealed firearm you are required to take the proper safety course, the KSP does a background check, and barring any problems you will be issued a Concealed Carry permit. The most the course can cost is $75.00 and the background check is $60.00. The turn-around from the time you mail in the application until you receive the permit is normally around 90 days.
Kentucky is a 'shall issue' state which means that as long as you meet all the requirements you will be issued a permit. As was previously stated, most government buildings are 'gun-free' regarding the private citizen. Businesses may post on their storefront a message stating that they request that you not carry in their place of business. Ignoring the message isn't illegal but they can request that you leave.

Gunshow purchases: if it is an individual-to-individual transaction no paperwork is required. If you are buying from a licensed dealer, he WILL require you to fill out the paperwork and they WILL do an instant background check. If the dealer isn't equipped to do the check on the spot he will require you to wait to pick up your purchase on the next business day, after the background check is performed. Most (if not all) gunshows in the state require you to be a licensed dealer to set up a booth.

FYI: there is no longer a federal 5-day wait on handgun purchases.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases