D&D 5E ForgedAnvil D&D 5E Character Generator

Stormrider73

Villager
That would be cool, but I would not hold my breath at this point. The original creator went M.I.A. after receiving a WotC C&D order, and the team that took over has not been heard from for some time (we are still waiting for a non-beta version with the Xanathar material). WotC wants you to use D&DBeyond and is actively suppressing cool (and free) tools like this one.

I refuse to use D&D Beyond for exactly this reason. Not to mention most of their stuff sucks and is way over priced.

Conandar

Explorer
That would be my guess, as well. They are fine with the standard pencil and paper method, of course, or D&DB (they get a piece of the pie), and can really do nothing if players make something like ForgedAnvil's generator as long as they restrict it to personal use only, but as soon as it starts getting distributed they get their knickers in a twist. What they either do not understand, or just do not care about, is that some of the players are disabled and the PnP method is a no go, and D&DB is a no go because of both cost and a lack of internet connectivity where we play this game. That and D&DB is, in my opinion, clunky at best.

Mortilupo

Explorer
Actually they can distribute it also so long as they don't sell it. So long as it doesn't have complete word for word text of of the books in it, which is where the paraphrasing comes in with just the meat of the ability listed and reference to the source. Personal use isn't just your individual use, the key parts are not selling it and not having complete text. The C&D rely on the fact that most of us don't have the money to fight them so we go along even though they D&DB doesn't really have a legal case. Sadly what we need is for D&DB to make the mistake and sue a rich D&D playing lawyer...anyone know somebody?

Conandar

Explorer
If they are, they are being very quiet. Apparently WotC is very good at scareing any potential developers away (they have deep pockets and lawyers). Which, to be honest, is part of the reason I haven't taken a stab at it.

If I did take a stab at it, I would probably write it in Java. But any thoughts in that direction have been in a purely theoretical direction. One thing I do know is that it would NOT be web-based. It would probably be along the lines of PCGen, but not nearly as large in scale. Even if I did start coding such a thing, it would take months (most likely years), as my knowledge of Java is over 10 years old and these days I type very slowly. And my attempts at designing user interfaces would be laughable if they weren't so pathetic. So bad that they would make D&DB look like high-quality work.

Last edited:

Remove ads