Cookin again

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Good question, and one I'd like the answer to! Paneed meats such you'd find in creole cooking are very lightly breaded, and cooked in a pan, so it isn't quite the same.

I suspect you could get some good hints from a chicken fried steak recipe, since that dish evolved from schnitzel. My GUESS is that you need to cook it hot & fast so the breading doesn't fall off in the oil.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I don't remember if I mentioned it in this thread, but I came up with a recipe back in the 1990s I called "Sweet Hot Chicken": I made a melted butter & honey glaze with black pepper, cayenne pepper, paprika and cinnamon, topped with a sprinkle of pecan halves, all oven baked.

It had, like your dish, a burn to it that was nicely offset by the buttery sweetness. The dish had 2 downsides, though. First, it was a little sticky, of course. And second, the cinnamon was a bit of an olfactory curveball- while cooking, it smelled like you had an apple pie in the oven. A tad confusing especially if you're hungry. :D

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
So, today I answered Mom's Gumbo & pasta pseudo-challenge.

It actually came out pretty good, but there WAS a mistake on my part. I actually used too much roux. The thickness wasn't so much the issue, since I used a middling dark roux- between caramel and milk chocolate color- but rather, it's sheer amount diluted the flavor too much. Next time- and yes, there WILL be a next time- I'll use about half of the amount of roux I did this time.

Ingredients:

1 yellow onion, diced
4 stalks of celery, diced
1.5 ounces minced garlic
2 lg chicken thighs- a small packet of chicken wings could be substituted
1/2lb Louisiana hot sausage or equivalent, sliced (or chopped, for texture)
6oz country/smoked beef sausage, sliced
1/2lb peeled shrimp, cut to @3/4in size
2-4 Bay leaf (I used 2 large ones from an Indian grocery)
1/2cup fresh parsley. (Dried is also fine, and can help thicken the sauce)
Thyme to taste- 1Tbs minimum
Filé to taste- 1Tbs minimum
@2 cans chicken stock (I actually used 1 and some home-made stock made from smoked turkey necks)
1 low sodium chicken bouillon cube or powdered equivalent
Roux
1 box of penne pasta (cavatappi, rotini, macaroni, bow tie, or similar would also work)
Top if needed with Shredded Parmesan cheese

As is now my custom, I made my roux in a separate, non-stick pan on low heat for maximum control. (For those who don't know, roux is simply flour cooked in oil.)

In the meantime, the sausages & the chicken were each browned in a 12" high-sided sauté pan, as were the onion & celery, in their turn. I deglazed my pan as needed with stock.

The tricky part is that, in a traditional gumbo, the chicken will cook long enough that it will eventually fall off the bone. With so much less liquid, this dish cooks faster, so you'll have to cut your chicken into more manageable pieces to speed their cooking.

When all the meats were browned and veggies given a turn in the pot, I added all the ingredients back in, including the seasoning and the stock, letting the mix cook down a bit over low/medium heat. The last to go in was the shrimp, which only went into the pot a minute before the pasta. (Shrimp don't need much time to cook.

Also note that there is NO added salt or pepper in this. Usually, a gumbo will have both. But with there being SO much less liquid, the salt & pepper in the sausages was more than enough to season the sauce.

As the other ingredients came together, I set my pasta to cook. When it was done, I put the pasta into the sauté pan and folded it into the sauce. I served it when all the pasta was nicely coated.

I don't think the dish needs the cheese, but that was my Dad's idea. I have to admit that the Parmesan DID work well with the dish, but I'll be eating mine without in the future.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Thank you!

Don't get me wrong- I LOVE CHEESE! I probably have between $50-100 in the fridge at any one time. More if I'm hosting a get-together. But I prefer the more traditional gumbo flavor, sooooo...

Still, as I reconsider this dish- perhaps another incarnation will be done over slices or cubes of potato, or become a pot pie, or empanada- I'm going to contemplate which cheese works best with it. The Parmesan was nice, but Mozzerella would be classically gooey, and might blend with the other flavors better, for instance. Its texture might also be better if I make this into a casserole.

My wife realized that we had a couple racks of pork ribs that had been lounging in the freezer for far too long. Yesterday morning - after they'd been thawed - I set 'em up in the crock pot with a whole lotta hickory rub, and slow-cooked those babies for eight hours. I carefully extracted 'em from the pot, laid 'em out on flat sheet pans and covered them with some Cookie's BBQ sauce for a 20-minute broil in the oven.

We were very happy with this meal. They were almost perfect, though I did find one bit where the meat had been overcooked in the oven and was dry. I think this was my best-yet foray into cooking ribs. My only sadness was that my 10-year-old didn't really care for 'em, though I think that was just him being contrary.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Nice!

Personally, I'm a zealot for a 8-24 hr beer-based marinade in the fridge. They always come out moist & tender, and the beer adds a nice flavor. What flavor depends on what beer you use, of course.

I may have mentioned it before, but I sometimes will cut my ribs into hand-sized chunks to use as a lower-sodium alternative to pickled-pork, salt-pork, ham or bacon in southern style veggies (beans, greens, etc.).

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I made 40qts of gumbo last week: 20qts of seafood gumbo for me & my family; 20qts of chicken/ham/sausage for my Dad's employees (half of whom don't eat seafood) They've been asking nicely for a taste...for the past 15 years. I figured they'd waited long enough. :D

Their verdict: I'm a bad man.
BwFEFOAIUAEn3kf.jpg

I made 40qts of gumbo last week: Their verdict: I'm a bad man.
For making them wait 15 years?? :D

I'll be making my version of the classic green bean casserole for the family Christmas reunion/potluck this weekend. A couple of cans of (drained) green beans, a can of cream of mushroom soup, and a jar of mushrooms pickled in Italian spices (drained). Season liberally with the dried garlic / cracked peppercorn / sea salt steak rub, then add the French onion topping and bake for a while.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases