Cookin again

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Christmas is extra hectic this year, so I'm curbing back my holiday cooking. Most of what we're having will be catered, but I'm doing a rib roast at the behest of my Dad. There are some things you just do, right?

But most of what I'm doing this holiday is making food to give away as gifts. I'm making 3* treats: hot sausage chubs, bread pudding, and trail mix. All were hits before, so...

* well, 3.5. Some people are getting some of my sausage seasoning mix to make their own.

I don't think I'm that adventurous.

I think I'm going to jinx myself by even saying it, but I'm pulling the grill out of storage this weekend. It's just too damn nice outside to NOT fire it up.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
WinCo grocery store is apparently selling 15 dozen eggs for $10. That is not a typo- they've done it before. My aunt is going to check them out. If they look good, we may try this out. ESPECIALLY since it is Lent.

I know I can freeze "scrambled" eggs of various kinds, make bread puddings, egg salads, straciatella, and even boil some for my dogs (cheaper than dog food). Might make use of my newly-bought silicone egg rings and make a few omelette patties for eating & freezing for later.

Edit: not Winco, but Sam's Wholesale.

Last edited:

Descartes

Explorer
Here's a good appetizer recipe that calls for 6 eggs and you'll probably want to do a double batch. Parmesan Broccoli Balls.
Ingredients: 1 bag of cut broccoli
1/2 an onion diced
1 box stove top stuffing(I use the herb flavor)
6 eggs
1 can lump crab meat(optional but I like it)
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
Salt and Pepper to taste
Cook the broccoli in a pan until done. Chop it into smaller pieces then combine it with the other ingredients. Mix it by hand really good and place into the fridge for about an hour. Roll into about 1" balls and place on pan (I've used muffin pans also so I could get more in the oven). Cook at 350 for 15-20 minute you want them to start turning brown. Remove and place in container and repeat as needed.

I've made them for guests several times and everyone seems to love them. They're also pretty cheap to make since a double batch would only cost around $10-12.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Sounds tasty! Have you tried it with other meats, like shrimp, or bacon?

Also, when you say "can" of crabmeat, you're talking a standard tuna can type can, right?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Happy Easter, everyone!

We weren't going to do anything major for the holiday, mealwise...and wound up with 14-20 guests. I had to throw down...

Appetizers were a simple cheese & cracker tray:

Town House Originals
Open Nature Leek & Onion
Blue Diamond Pecan & Rice Nut-Thins
Garlic Herb D'Affinois Brie
Parrano (a Parmesan/gouda hybrid)
Lamb Chopper sheep cheese

Mains & sides:

Shrimp Creole
Creole-modified Moussaka
A pineapple/strawberry glazed ham (my maternal aunt's)
A roast beef with gravy (my paternal aunt)
Mac & Cheese (my cousin B)
Buttered California mix veggies
Mustard greens with smoked turkey
White Rice

Desserts:

Pecan Pie (guest)
Chocolate Cake (my cousin B)
Cherry Blitz

Everybody had a good time, and every dish got hit hard. Even though we encouraged everyone to take some home, not everyone did, so we still have loads of food left over.

Hopefully, some of our friends who couldn't attend will be able to wander on by for dinner in the next few days...

Remove ads