Cookin again

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
I love roasting bags. My brother has a different method. He injects the turkey with salt water and cooks it to about 5 degrees below the expected temperature.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I love roasting bags. My brother has a different method. He injects the turkey with salt water and cooks it to about 5 degrees below the expected temperature.

I've not found a need for a roasting bag. Standard brine (if it isn't pre-brined) and roast has served well. I just have to get a new meat thermometer before stuff goes down...

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Brine - that's the term for what my brother does

Yah. I'm not a fan of injecting brine, though. I prefer to soak the bird.

It is also often unnecessary these days, as many, many birds come pre-brined, and you risk making it too salty if you over-brine.

Scott DeWar

Yah. I'm not a fan of injecting brine, though. I prefer to soak the bird.

It is also often unnecessary these days, as many, many birds come pre-brined, and you risk making it too salty if you over-brine.

in the greater Nashville metropolus area, he can find anything - and I mean ANYTHING!! So he looks for fresh from the farm - ergo 'unbrined' - for his cooing needs. Otherwise it is from costco for that year if he cannot find what he wants.

Also, if push came to shove he could work as a chef if he wanted to employment wise

Scott DeWar

Oh, and for your horrific viewing pleasure, I give you cthanksgiving cthurkey!

Attachments

• Cthualuhu-turkey.jpg
    Cthualuhu-turkey.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 205

Dioltach

Legend
I just got back from a week in Bali, where I picked up some wonderful vanilla pods and saffron for next to nothing, as well as dried sweet basil (I'd only ever seen it fresh and frozen before). That should keep me going in the kitchen for the time being.

I also bought several packets of Luwak coffee -- I still have to see whether it's as good as it's supposed to be, because the only time I could try it there it was made from powder (instant-style), which is probably not the best way. My impression was that the Balinese think the obsession with "pooh coffee" is quite funny.

On the return flight we had a transfer in Doha, and I had just enough time to buy myself a bottle of Macallan Oscuro -- I'm calling it my end-of-year bonus, and I paid about 300 euros less than the usual price. I'm just about to have myself a private tasting.

Remove ads