Tiny Magical Beast
Hit Dice:
4d10+4 (26 hp)
Initiative: +1 (Dex)
Speed: 40 ft.
AC: 13 (+2 size, +1 Dex)
Attack: 2 claws +7 melee
Damage: 1d3-4
Face/Reach: 2 1/2 ft. by 2 1/2 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Purr, bad luck
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft.
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +2
Abilities: Str 3, Dex 13, Con 12, Int 4, Wis 12, Cha 18
Skills: Hide +14, Move Silently +7
Feats: Weapon Finesse (claw)
Climate/Terrain: Any land and underground
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement:

A luck eater is indistinguishable from a normal tabby cat; it is a feline creature with golden, striped fur and big green eyes. These fluffy menaces can be found in nearly any environment. As its name implies, a luck eater actually feeds on the bad luck it generates. It is the creature’s only sustenance.

Combat
A luck eater detests combat, and avoids it at all costs. If engaged in melee, its first desire is to escape. If hard pressed, however, a luck eater fights in a manner similar to a typical cat.

Purr (Su): The purr of a luck eater acts as a dominate monster spell as cast by an 8th level sorcerer. All living creatures within 30 feet of a purring luck eater must make a Will save (DC 16) or be charmed by the creature. Those affected by the purr instantly become enamored of the luck eater, and see to take it with them everywhere as a pet. The luck eater remains with them for 1d4+1 hours, purring constantly. Once it has at least one creature under its control, the luck eater can alter the pitch of its purr to achieve various mental affects on its victims.

Hostility: If a luck eater goes without food for 30 minutes (i.e. no rolls are made within 30 minutes), it will alter the pitch of its purr to help ensure that it gets fed. All those affected by the hostility purr of a luck eater attack the next creature encountered. The victims will not attack other party members or people they know. There is no save for this second form of the purr, since the victims have already been brought under the luck eater’s control.

Infighting: Should another 30 minutes go by without food, the luck eater will alter its purr once again. All affected victims must make another Will save (DC 16) or attack each other for 1d10 rounds or until one of them dies, whichever comes first. If a luck eater is forced to use this drastic measure, its charm affect is negated and it tries to slink away unnoticed.

Bad Luck (Su): All living creatures affected by a luck eater’s purr have a -2 luck bonus applied to all saves, attack bonuses, and damage for as long as the luck eater remains within range.

The Luck Eater was in the 1e Monster Manual II.

Last edited:

Clay_More

First Post
hehe, "bad kitty, bad!"

Its sad, you can make cursed magical items, but you cant make "cursed" familiars.... I think it would be fun if a wizard could have a 1% chance of gettin a cursed familiar (such as a Luck Eater) when finding a new familiar :)

Hashmalum

Explorer
I've been waiting for someone to convert this creature, as I've been too lazy to do any monster conversions of late. It would make an interesting Improved Familiar, but feeding it would be something of a problem. For familiar purposes, I would be inclined to treat it as if it had Chaotic Evil alignment due simply to the nature of its feeding (thus lawful and good characters could not have one as a familiar). The luck eater can't help itself from causing misfortune and probably lacks the necessary sentience for true moral awareness in any case, but no mage is ever forced to take in such a creature as a companion.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases