CERAMIC D.M. Final Judgements In- New Champion!

Mirth

Explorer
NiTessine said:
thank you, mirthcard, for the challenge. *Shakes his adversary's hand*

Right back at you NiT :D You rentry was really well done and even if I had more time on mine, I don't think I could have outmatched you. Well-deserved congratulations from me. I rooting for you to go the distance and join me in the winner's circle.

How is the Slaine book? I've been thinking of running my first PbP game (I play in several but I haven't run one yet) and I think I'm gonna make it Celtic Arthurian. I'm getting my master's in literature and my focus is on pre-christian Arthurian sources. Do you think Slaine is worth getting for that kind of campaign? I've got the AD&D 2E Celtic sourcebook and I've bookmarked Vincent's 3E conversion of much of that material, and I'm also thinking of using Chaosium's Boy King from their Pendragon game if I can find my copy. As a last note, would you be interested in joining such a game if I actually get off my can and start it? I'll save you a slot if you are.

To bring the thread back on track - Good luck NiT and good luck to everyone else. I'll be watching...

Jay

alsih2o

First Post
mirthcard had one heck of a run...definetely a hall of famer for his early domination of genre.

i assume he is not retiring permanently :)

Taladas

Congradulations to everyone who passed on to the second round. I bow to you Speaker, your word fu is mighty.

"Stilted, your saying I'm stilted?" bonus points if you know where the quote comes from. :)

NiTessine

Explorer
mirthcard said:
How is the Slaine book? I've been thinking of running my first PbP game (I play in several but I haven't run one yet) and I think I'm gonna make it Celtic Arthurian. I'm getting my master's in literature and my focus is on pre-christian Arthurian sources. Do you think Slaine is worth getting for that kind of campaign? I've got the AD&D 2E Celtic sourcebook and I've bookmarked Vincent's 3E conversion of much of that material, and I'm also thinking of using Chaosium's Boy King from their Pendragon game if I can find my copy. As a last note, would you be interested in joining such a game if I actually get off my can and start it? I'll save you a slot if you are.

Celtic Arthurian..? I have trouble wrapping my mind around this concept.

In any case, while Sláine is an excellent work on its own right, it is not really D&D-compatible, at least not without some major reworking. The magic system is completely different, for one thing, and the monsters don't have any Challenge Ratings.

Sláine portrays an Iron Age Celtic setting with magic. It's got rules for stuff like flint and iron weapons. Rules for getting magic power from human sacrifices. In fact, one of the core classes, the Witch, gets sacrificial feats for free at certain levels.

Have you read the reviews at the main site? You should. They are quite invaluable.

As for a play-by-post game... No thanks. They move way too slowly for my liking. I do play IRC games, though.

And now I'll bugger off from spamming this thread and start figuring out a plotline. :)

Mirth

Explorer
NiTessine said:
Celtic Arthurian..? I have trouble wrapping my mind around this concept.

The Arthurian legend has its origins in Celtic, pre-Christian myths. For some excellent treatises on the subject, see if your local library has Roger Sherman Loomis' books, The Grail: From Celtic Myth To Christian Symbol (ISBN# 0691020752) and Celtic Myth & Arthurian Romance (ISBN# 0838305865) and for early Celtic / Welsh Arthurian stories find a copy of The Mabinogion translated by Jones & Jones (ISBN# 0460872974). All good stuff to wrap your head around!

NiTessine said:
As for a play-by-post game... No thanks. They move way too slowly for my liking. I do play IRC games, though.

That's cool, just wanted to offer. No time for IRC unfortunately :( My only gaming outlet right now is PbP. Thanks for the advice on Slaine. I guess I'm gonna have to splurge for it, although my pocket doesn't like it. At least I still have my retail account so I can get it for 40% off ;)

Good luck again!

Last edited:

Mirth

Explorer
alsih2o said:
mirthcard had one heck of a run...definetely a hall of famer for his early domination of genre.

i assume he is not retiring permanently :)

Thanks for the kind words, Clay.

And no, I'm too young to retire :D

Speaker

First Post
Taladas: Very well done, and I agree with the judge's comments that your tale not only handled the pictures well, but presented itself excellently in regards to the theme of revenge. I may have defeated you twice, but I would never bet on defeating you thrice.

I'm in judges. Thanks for your comments- I have to say that you hit your mark every time, and your analysis agreed with my own gut feelings on my piece.

And now I face Nobeard. I just hope I'm up to the challenge.

alsih2o

First Post
well, i hope oyu guys are awake, cause here it comes :)

barrend nobeard vs speaker semifinals

pic 1

Attachments

• imgal9.jpg
    imgal9.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 140

Remove ads