Dragon Fist feats question

kobold

First Post
Awhile back there was a free download of the Dragon Fist game at the WoTC site. In the rules there was a mechanic for resolving feats- not d20 feats- but sort of stunts. This simulated a Feng Shui type of system. The rules are gone, with Chris Parmas (the writer if I recall). Can anyone help me with the mechanic in question? It may have been as simple as rolling bellow the assosiated stat. My hope is to sort of Feng Shui my new campaign- lots acrobatics and crazy stunts.

Samothdm

First Post
Basically, the character used "stunts" to perform feats. There were 6 different types of stunts based on each of the key character abilities (strength, dexterity, etc.).

A "Might" Stunt (based on Strength) was used for "Feats" like breaking down doors and snapping restraints. A "Savvy" Stunt (Intelligence) was used for "Feats" like solving puzzles and deciphering codes.

If the character decided to use a "Feat" then that was his full-round action (no move or attack).

The difference between "Stunts" and "Feats" was that a "Stunt" could be used as part of an action which also involved attacking and/or moving. So, for example, if you wanted to attack a monster and try to kill it, you would use a "Might" Stunt to add bonuses to your hits and damage, but then you couldn't also add an Acrobatic Stunt (based on Dexterity) to your AC that round.

"Feats" are the default skills system for the game. Basically, the rules say that you can do pretty much anything with a Feat. The GM assigned a TN (Target Number, which is exactly like a DC in 3E) to the task, and then the player rolls a d20, adds his/her stunt bonus (based on the type of Feat/Stunt being performed) and if he/she rolls over the TN set by the GM, then the Feat is successful. GMs are encouraged to be very liberal in setting the TN so that players succeed more often than not.

Example TNs from the Rules:
Easy (using a Might stunt to knock down a door) = 10.
Average (staring down an Imperial Officer with a Charm Stunt) = 15.
Difficult (running up a wall, Acrobatics) = 20.
Absurd (swimming underwater for 1/2 hour, Fortitude) = 25.

Hope that helps.

kobold

First Post
Thanks for the response.
If I recall the original Dragon Fist was downloadable in chapters. I’m guessing now that the rules are due for print, and therefore money, I’m unable to download the chapter covering those rules anywhere.

Samothdm

First Post
To be quite honest, from what I see, there isn't much more to the "rules" part of the Stunts-Feats section than what I just posted above. There is a long list of Martial Arts "Maneuvers" which are things like "Iron Palm" (character's base unarmed attack damage is increased to D6 vs. D4) or "Wuxia" (character can jump 20 feet vertically plus an additional foot per level).

So, basically, using the types of martial arts maneuvers from OA and perhaps 3rd party sources like Chainmail Bikini's "Beyond Monks" and others, you don't really need anything else. Even if you don't have access to any other 3rd party sources, you can could most like use standard PH "Feats" and modify them slightly. Many of the Martial Arts Maneuvers in "Dragon Fist" were things like prone fighting, increase speed, instant stand from prone, and using "chi" to heal yourself from damage.

Again, the mechanics for the Stunts-Feats part was pretty similar to just assigning a DC and having the character make a d20 roll modified by the key ability.

FYI, it's in Chapter 3.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
The big difference between dragonfist and d20 was that ONLY ONE OF YOUR STAT BONUSES APPLIED AT A TIME.

The other one was that every stat had a combat effect.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases