You must whip it...whip it good

MarauderX

Explorer
Why is the whip so underpowered? I understand the subdual damage, but more importantly, how about the disarm ability? The whip is a Small weapon, and due to size catagory the user gives the target +4 for each size larger - ouch! Is there a way to soften this up a bit?

kreynolds

First Post
MarauderX said:
Why is the whip so underpowered?

It's made for economical fuel consumption, not speed.

MarauderX said:
Is there a way to soften this up a bit?

Looks like the whip is becoming a melee weapon in the revised rules. If that is the case, I can forgive the size differential.

Murrdox

First Post
Remember that the whip also gives you an advantage... being able to disarm from 15' away.

Also, there are more lethal varients of the whip in the splat books.

The Whip-Dagger is in "Song and Silence", and another whip I can't remember the name of that is in "Sword and Fist".

Keith

First Post
You could change the rules to improve it, I suppose. Among heavily armed and armored people, though, I think the whip does not rate as a weapon. I’m not sure it was ever used as such. While you could wrap a whip around a weapon and then struggle with the person holding it, I think the Zorro-type disarm comes from striking the bare hand of an opponent with precision. Anyone wearing armor probably has some protection there. Also, such pinpoint called attacks are not otherwise part of the D&D approach to combat. You can’t throw a dart into someone’s eye, for example. At least, not routinely.

I guess I am arguing to keep the whip in the torture chamber and on the ship, rather than power it up to become a weapon suitable for armed combat.

MarauderX

Explorer
Thanks, I will look for some variants that are out there.
So why would they revise it to be a melee weapon? It's pretty good right now, especially for tripping at 15', the major thing I disagree with is the size. It shouldn't be used in less that 5' so I think it's more akin to a pole arm or other reaching weapon than it is to a dagger. I will post something to the House Rules section to get some perspective on variations.

Marius Delphus

Adventurer
Personally, I'm much happier with treating a whip as a melee weapon with 15' Reach (or whatever). Subdual damage only, can make disarm and trip attacks with it (and drop to avoid countertrip)... yep, it's all good.

Making it a missile weapon made it an "odd man out" in our newly streamlined, codified ruleset, IMHO. YMMV.

melkoriii

First Post
Re: Re: You must whip it...whip it good

kreynolds said:

Looks like the whip is becoming a melee weapon in the revised rules. If that is the case, I can forgive the size differential.

Can you give the reference for this?

I really want to see how they may fix this weapon.

kreynolds

First Post
Re: Re: Re: You must whip it...whip it good

melkoriii said:
Can you give the reference for this?

I noticed it in passing. I think it was a Dungeon Mag adventure module or something. One of the NPCs had one of his attacks listed as whip +?? melee. Could have been a typo though, but I haven't heard anything that suggests its a mistake yet.

Remove ads