D&D 4E The Best Thing from 4E

What are your favorite 4E elements?

There's more than one sort of transparency. Giving lots of step-by step instructions is one sort of transparency, but that's not the sort of transparency 4e uses outside of combat.

The primary transparency in 4e is powers working as listed with very little qualification or special cases. The more reliable powers are the more they can be used to solve problems without worrying about the referee using fiat to prevent it. (obviously the DM can use fiat that way, it just will be obvious and likely a violation of the typical 4e social contract)

I wouldn't use the term "ill-defined" in relation to 4e non-combat rules. All too often in previous editions extra detail ended up roadblocking the party, obscuring how to address the task. Players could waste huge amounts of time with recalcitrant DMs, asking twenty questions, or a hundred questions, until they stumbled on the one that allowed the task to be started. The transparency in 4e in relation to non-combat play is precisely in leaving out picky, messy details that slow play up and just generate lots of skill checks and extra chances for failure. The skill challenge mechanic tries to give a system so players can rely on resolving tasks, succeed or fail, within a few skill rolls. Attempts by the referee to sabotage the skill challenge, consciously or unconsciously, will be more visible due to the system transparency than in previous editions.

4e outside combat is zoomed out, unfocused, generalised, abstracted, I think by design, as different groups don't agree on the weightings to attach to various factors. To those tired of the "thousand steps to failure" that often happened in previous editions (check after check after check until a single failure ended the attempt) this is a great boon.

Detail isn't always an ally of the player, sometimes it's used as a weapon by the DM to obscure valid paths in a maze of red herrings, throw up roadblocks of arbitrarily long skill check chains etc. This can happen by accident when the DM is very invested in certain game directions that may not be obvious or attractive to his players.

Great, you have said what I was trying to say, but probably much better overall. I really like the point about generalization and 'level of detail' in play. No other edition of D&D in any way has this. In 4e you can simply abstract a whole continent spanning journey into a skill challenge if you so desire. The broad skills fit well into that scheme as well. Its pretty easy to apply them to even quite abstract situations. 3e skills allowed for nothing like that by design.

But the reason I bring this up is to not only share my experience, but also to get some perspective on it from outside my own. Anyone have any thoughts to my entire-too-long post? Am I missing something? Am I wrong? Maybe. And I'm open to finding out.

Awesome. I've been waiting for you to post a lengthy analysis of your jaunt into 4e for some time now. I'm glad you chose to do so as I respect your opinion and very much respect your sincere and earnest effort in running the game. This thread has been one of the few interesting threads to post in on here for some time and the direction of this conversation is now penetrating some mysteries of our silly hobby. Enough with the touchy feely crap!

So many of the posts that followed yours do a fantastic job of breaking down the issue in ways that I think illuminating. pemerton's post following yours captures my general position on things quite well. I think I'm going to take a different approach. Tomorrow or Saturday I'll break down a few play examples from the recent 4e game (playing IRL now) and current Dungeon World game I'm running on here to display how the overt machinery and GMing principles of those game create transparent play procedures that are anathema to illusionism. I think play example analysis is typically more helpful than anything else.

First, very generally on system. If nothing else, illusionism GMing is enabled by GM latitude. Where does this latitude come from in RPGs? I would say it comes from a few sources working in conjunction:

1 - Opacity, incoherency, and/or too much open-endedness with respect to the resolution mechanics.

2 - The ruleset being silent, noncommittal, or nebulous on GMing best practices/principles/techniques.

3 - Instead of "first among equals" or "the GM is just another player", the ruleset overtly cites the "It's the GM's game" imperative as the most important and overriding facet of play (eg historical D&D rule 0 and WW's Golden Rule)...and then the ruleset backs it up with 1 and 2.

4 - Either the ruleset's designers or the greater culture surrounding the game takes a strident position of metagame aversion at the table.

5 - Setting or metaplot primacy rather than theme or player hook/premise primacy.

Any thoughts on that before I get go into play examples tomorrow or Saturday?

** and just so we have clarity, I tried to convey in my initial post that I'm personally aware of people who enjoy tables that feature illusionism GMing and that some players are willing participants in it, acutely aware of what is going on. While I'm not a fan and I have spent a lot of thought (and words) on the subject, I can empirically back up your claim.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
Okay, I'll be responding to a few people later on. I wish I could now, but I'm writing this during a fleeting moment of downtime at work, and I'm occupied for another four or so hours. But Manbearcat, I'll try to go out of my way to get to you tonight. It's the least I can do after all the good advice in my 4e game :)

Zustiur

Explorer
Am I the only one who didn't find the solo - elite - standard - minion demotion of monsters over levels satisfying (as a player)? Hmm. To me it was a terrible thing because killing 6 minions of something you previously fought was patently not the same as killing 6 actual creatures. The was no sense of accomplishment.

The only bits of 4e that I particularly like are the monster stay blocks. Those were well designed.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Am I the only one who didn't find the solo - elite - standard - minion demotion of monsters over levels satisfying (as a player)? Hmm. To me it was a terrible thing because killing 6 minions of something you previously fought was patently not the same as killing 6 actual creatures. The was no sense of accomplishment. (snip)

This is one of the many YMMV moments.

My players love the fact that the orcs they fought over levels 1-3 who were level 1 brutes* are now being fought at level 8 as level 9 minion brutes (same XP value). And a recurring undead NPC who started as a level 3 elite artillery has just been defeated as a level 7 artillery. I suspect he will be back in a couple more levels as a level 15 minion artillery.

For us, nothing provides a great sense of accomplishment than this progression using the same XP value. But, again, I understand YMMV.

* Because we prefer Heroic/low-Paragon games, my monsters have been de-levelled to match their 1E (or 2E) hit dice. It works better for us.

S'mon

Legend
Am I the only one who didn't find the solo - elite - standard - minion demotion of monsters over levels satisfying (as a player)? Hmm. To me it was a terrible thing because killing 6 minions of something you previously fought was patently not the same as killing 6 actual creatures. The was no sense of accomplishment.

I dealt with this 'cardboard minion' issue by giving them a damage threshold to kill, I settled on Level+2, half that to bloody. The PCs are currently fighting level 24 minions (Stone Thrall dwarves) who need 26 dmg to kill in one turn, or 13 to bloody. That makes them meaty enough to seem 'real'.

I've done the solo-elite-standard-minion progression for years, but it's not something which lets me do true sandboxing because I have to prep my monsters pre-session, we can't really do 'go anywhere, do anything'. At best I typically have 3-4 possible encounter groups prepped; usually covering 'this is what I expect PCs to do' and 'what if they do the unexpected' - in the latter case they typically end up with the off-piste encounter which will take them to the end of the 2.5-3 hr session and give me time to prep more stuff next time. It's not a railroad, but I don't feel it can be considered sandboxing.

First, very generally on system. If nothing else, illusionism GMing is enabled by GM latitude. Where does this latitude come from in RPGs? I would say it comes from a few sources working in conjunction:

1 - Opacity, incoherency, and/or too much open-endedness with respect to the resolution mechanics.

2 - The ruleset being silent, noncommittal, or nebulous on GMing best practices/principles/techniques.

3 - Instead of "first among equals" or "the GM is just another player", the ruleset overtly cites the "It's the GM's game" imperative as the most important and overriding facet of play (eg historical D&D rule 0 and WW's Golden Rule)...and then the ruleset backs it up with 1 and 2.

4 - Either the ruleset's designers or the greater culture surrounding the game takes a strident position of metagame aversion at the table.

5 - Setting or metaplot primacy rather than theme or player hook/premise primacy.
I'm trying to follow along, but I think I'm confused on a major point regarding illusionism. Is the illusion supposed to be that the players are actually contributing in any way, while the DM is just stringing them along in order to tell a story - where freedom of choice is the illusion? Or is the illusion supposed to be the honest attempt of the DM to create a living and breathing world, where the characters exist as people (rather than narrative constructs), and interact without influence from outside (metagame) factors?

You say that transparent game mechanics are anathema to illusionism, but the way 4E deals with transparent game mechanics, the thing they are anathema to is immersion. When I know that this giant's stats depend on its role in the story, rather than its innate characteristics, it makes me extremely aware that I am playing a game.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
There's more than one sort of transparency. Giving lots of step-by step instructions is one sort of transparency, but that's not the sort of transparency 4e uses outside of combat.

The primary transparency in 4e is powers working as listed with very little qualification or special cases. The more reliable powers are the more they can be used to solve problems without worrying about the referee using fiat to prevent it. (obviously the DM can use fiat that way, it just will be obvious and likely a violation of the typical 4e social contract)
Right, the powers (generally "in-combat") are generally very player-empowering. This is the part I wish was the case with out of combat stuff.
I wouldn't use the term "ill-defined" in relation to 4e non-combat rules. All too often in previous editions extra detail ended up roadblocking the party, obscuring how to address the task.
I'm unsure how to take this. Isn't that the point of those details? As a player, it's your responsibility to account for them. All the details that you need to account for are all in the open. If you don't account for them, some things will be blocked.

An easy example: say you make players write down what gear they have. I think this is something that many tables do (we'll say 50%). The party comes up against a cliff they must climb down. The get the idea to get a rope and tie it to something at the top to help anchor people who scale down. The GM asks if anyone has a rope. The party checks, and nobody does. The party therefore can't use their rope plan.

This is a roadblock of that plan. And it's because of a detail. But now you get to see what they do. Do they all climb down individually? Does that mean one of them falls and gets hurt? Does that mean a healing spell is used? Does that mean they have one less spell when they need it later?

The only way to know just how important the impact of a detail is is to see what happens when the players account for it (or don't). Forgetting that rope could lead to a PC death, for all we know. And that's just one example. There are many that I'm sure I make my players keep track of that not even 50% of tables do (outfits, bedding or tents [in case it gets cold], arrows, daggers, food, etc.). All these things can lead to very interesting situations. Players that run out of food might actually decide to find pesky goblin tribes in the area to barter with or loot so they don't starve. Or, hell, they might have to eat goblin. Or slow down while they hunt and gather food, which might have other effects (what with weather, the setting continuing to evolve, etc.).

And these are just basic exploration details. While 4e has some rules on these sorts of things, I'd definitely consider the non-combat rules ill-defined, especially by comparison to it's fairly concrete combat rules (outside of the huge realm of stunting). And that's a shame, because I'd really like my players to be more empowered when making decisions instead of everything being filtered through me.
Players could waste huge amounts of time with recalcitrant DMs, asking twenty questions, or a hundred questions, until they stumbled on the one that allowed the task to be started. The transparency in 4e in relation to non-combat play is precisely in leaving out picky, messy details that slow play up and just generate lots of skill checks and extra chances for failure. The skill challenge mechanic tries to give a system so players can rely on resolving tasks, succeed or fail, within a few skill rolls. Attempts by the referee to sabotage the skill challenge, consciously or unconsciously, will be more visible due to the system transparency than in previous editions.
I agree that the skill challenge is a good system. Many, many people have problems with it, but I feel I can get it to shine in actual play in both 4e and in my RPG. And yet, I feel that it might be even stronger in my RPG, where the skill DCs and uses are spelled out to players. They know the DCs, they know their bonuses, and they can make (and even plan for) very informed decisions about what they want to do.

It's very transparent, just like 4e combat. And I wish 4e had done that more with it's non-combat stuff.
4e outside combat is zoomed out, unfocused, generalised, abstracted, I think by design, as different groups don't agree on the weightings to attach to various factors. To those tired of the "thousand steps to failure" that often happened in previous editions (check after check after check until a single failure ended the attempt) this is a great boon.
This is an interesting point to make, because it is definitely harder to make it abstract once it's detailed than go the other way around (without writing up a couple sets of rules). I can see how this would indeed be a big point in its favor for certain groups that prefer that approach. It just makes the rules seem very... clouded. And very "rulings, not rules." And I'm not much of a fan for either, honestly.
Detail isn't always an ally of the player, sometimes it's used as a weapon by the DM to obscure valid paths in a maze of red herrings, throw up roadblocks of arbitrarily long skill check chains etc. This can happen by accident when the DM is very invested in certain game directions that may not be obvious or attractive to his players.
True, it can lead to this. I think the flip side is that the abstract rules make it so that player actions might now be filtered through the GM, and that's not something I much like (because I'm lazy!). But I definitely understand why people would like the more abstract approach. I guess I just don't see it as transparent still. Thank you for the reply :)

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
On the 'stunts' being "player empowering", I have three thoughts:

a) The way 4E works is revolutionary in D&D terms, but in the context of the myriad other systems "out there" I can see space for @JamesonCourage's scepticism
/thread

Kidding ;)
b) I think the Powers system actually plays a big part in adding to the player-utility of stunts, simply because if using the stunt system is appreciably worse than just using powers, players will use powers

c) The inclusion of "Page 42" in the DMG (rather than the PHB) was arguably unfortunate and was possibly a knee-jerk from previous editions. Various ideas (like @D'karr's "stunt cards") to make the system more visible to players can help, and it's quite possible to run the system in a player-controlled way, to some degree. Each level is associated not only with DCs but also with damage (or, more loosely interpreted, "effectiveness"); allowing players to pick a level of stunt to attempt (with increasing DC giving increasing damage) would be quite straightforward.
Yes! That would have been awesome. That's what I want! XP given!
Oh, finally, a suggestion for those GMs tired of picking magic items for 4E - leave them up to the players. [SNIP] Add in Inherent Bonuses and you can have a game that uses more or less of either type of item as you see fit.
I do use Inherent Bonuses, and I like it. But, unfortunately, letting them pick wouldn't really work. I have one player who would for sure troll my DDi for hours and hours between sessions (the Warpriest), but my other players wouldn't. One player (the Knight, who last played in 1e before my 4e game) barely seems to know how to use the internet based on my casual conversations with him at work. The other player (the Scout) just wouldn't spend the time. He is working and going to school, and already plays in my other game (with my RPG), where he is much more invested (he's been playing in my games for 11 years, so our styles match my RPG much better than the more action-oriented, 'superficial' campaign I'm running for 4e).

I wish I could pawn this onto my players. It's honestly a big obstacle for me as GM right now. I'm thinking of saying "meh, you guys are good" for a while and just throwing money at them for the next five levels to see what they do with it in-game (when I did this last level they all immediately started investing in their frost giant castle). So maybe there's something there.

Remove ads