BG - RPG Crossover: How many Boardgames do you own?

How many Boardgames do you own?

• 0 Boardgames

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1-10 Boardgames

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • 11-25 Boardgames

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • 26-50 Boardgames

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • 51-100 Boardgames

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • 101-200 Boardgames

• 201-300 Boardgames

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 301+ Boardgames

• Poll closed .

Wicht

Hero
I got wondering about how much crossover there is between the boardgame and RPG community, and then began wondering concerning how many avid RPGers (such as frequent this Forum) are also avid Boardgamers. And, how many are Boardgame collectors. Seems like it ought to be a pretty natural crossover.

So here is the question: How many Boardgames do you own?

And if you could post more it would be great. :)

Wicht

Hero
I know for myself, I got into RPGs first and then Boardgames second, but as I get older, and play with the family, Boardgames have definitely increased in their appeal as an activity. I have around 1000 RPG books (or more, I don't really count them) in my collection, and I have over 350 Boardgames (Boardgames do get culled, unlike RPG books). I am active in observing the Boardgame online community (via reviews, BGG, etc.) but am more active in participating with the RPG online community. At conventions I try to split my time between both boardgames and RPGS.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I have to admit that I find most modern boardgames (especially of the "eurogame" variety) to be uninteresting exercises in bean-counting.

So, the boardgames in my home are rather limited. "King of Tokyo", "Apples to Apples" and a couple of others.

One game, however, has become a standout that I really enjoy - "Sentinels of the Multiverse".

Wicht

Hero
I'd be more of a boardgamer if I knew anyone who had HeroQuest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iaC-UpA5r4

Heroquest is a good game, but there are better on the market right now, IMO.
You might check out Descent 2nd Edition, or even one of WotC's dungeon crawlers (Legend of Drizzt, Wrath of Ashardalon, the upcoming Temple of Elemental Evil) if you have not done so already. Descent 2nd is a pretty good game with some depth to it, which, like Heroquest, has an adversarial GM, and the WotC offerings are a little lighter than that with no GM.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
I'm a boardgamer for longer than I'm a roleplayer: more than 40 years. I met my wife at a regular boardgame event, we have a regular boardgame night once a week, and have organized two boardgame weekends per year with some 50 people at a hostel out of town.

So, yes, I do spend more time playing boardgames than roleplaying games. I'm thinking much more about roleplaying games, though.

Yes, I'm a happi pig which wallows in both puddles!

Balesir

Adventurer
My real answer was "lots" - 2 cupboards full plus extras - but the precise number is a WAG. Folks know if they have 190, 210 or 310? Seriously?
[MENTION=177]Umbran[/MENTION]: with the agent allocation ones and some others you have a point, I think, but if you can't find any good ones you need to see more (assuming the general activity interests you). Some, like Modern Art, Arabian Nights or Audatia (OK, that's a card game, but close!) are far from "bean counting".

Wicht

Hero
My real answer was "lots" - 2 cupboards full plus extras - but the precise number is a WAG. Folks know if they have 190, 210 or 310? Seriously?

To within a certain range, sure... For one thing, if you maintain a BBG account, you can keep a tally of which games you own. Though mine is a bit behind on being updated...

[MENTION=177]Umbran[/MENTION]: with the agent allocation ones and some others you have a point, I think, but if you can't find any good ones you need to see more (assuming the general activity interests you). Some, like Modern Art, Arabian Nights or Audatia (OK, that's a card game, but close!) are far from "bean counting".

I like Euros well enough, but I know what Umbran is saying about the style... Its certainly not for everyone. There is a certain mathy puzzleness to most of them.

Though, if by Arabian Nights, you mean "Tales of the Arabian Nights," thats not really what I would consider a Euro - its more of a storytelling game. And "Modern Art" is an auction game, isn't it? Also out of print and hard to get I believe. :)

Actually the games I would recommend first for [MENTION=177]Umbran[/MENTION] would be some thematic cooperative games: Shadows over Camelot, Flashpoint: Fire Rescue, and Forbidden Desert are all good intros that have wide appeal, if you haven't tried them (wide age appeal and wide audience appeal as well). And they are in print.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I like Euros well enough, but I know what Umbran is saying about the style... Its certainly not for everyone. There is a certain mathy puzzleness to most of them.

Yah. And it isn't like I don't like mathy puzzles - I've worked through Hawking's "Large Scale Structure of Space-Time" for fun. I just don't find it makes for engaging game play. It is engaging puzzle-play, which I can do on my own, and isn't what I want when being social with people.

Actually the games I would recommend first for [MENTION=177]Umbran[/MENTION] would be some thematic cooperative games: Shadows over Camelot, Flashpoint: Fire Rescue, and Forbidden Desert are all good intros that have wide appeal, if you haven't tried them (wide age appeal and wide audience appeal as well). And they are in print.

I have a copy of Forbidden Desert - I played it once at a con, and decided to pick it up because I have a preference for cooperative games. Thing is, most times when I have a collection of game-people in my home, we are more apt to pick up an RPG than a boardgame, so I haven't actually played with my copy of Forbidden Desert. The tin is still in its plastic.

That reminds me of an issue I have with many Eurogames and other modern board games - satisfying game play is often only achieved though a pretty steep learning curve of system mastery. But, if I only play them once in a blue moon, I don't develop that mastery, and so don't get satisfaction out of play. There is a barrier to entry for folks who aren't already staunch enthusiasts. Forbidden Desert gave me a fun play experience the first time, which was nice.

Wicht

Hero
Having a good collection of RPGers as friends is a nice problem to have.

Sounds like what you want then are fillers. Things to play over the course of 15-20 minutes while waiting for everyone to show up.

That reminds me of an issue I have with many Eurogames and other modern board games - satisfying game play is often only achieved though a pretty steep learning curve of system mastery. But, if I only play them once in a blue moon, I don't develop that mastery, and so don't get satisfaction out of play. There is a barrier to entry for folks who aren't already staunch enthusiasts. Forbidden Desert gave me a fun play experience the first time, which was nice.

Out of curiosity, have you tried Ticket to Ride?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases