D&D 5E Spell Cards for D&D 5E using Magic Set Editor (MSE)

pdzoch

Explorer
I have just uploaded Spell Cards for D&D 5E using Magic Set Editor (MSE) to the downloads area.

While the new D&D 5E does not really need any spell cards, they are much handier to use than the rule book. And they make it much easier to manage spell lists and prepared spells. Besides, I like being able to add custom spells to the game, especially as a game reward.

The background has many options (about 18 in all, including various colors, textures, and several with class icon watermarks behind the spell description). Background can be selected to indicate spell class, spell school, or just to identify spell books (e.g. Player "A" has Blue Spells).

The class label beneath the level is optional text.
The spell school is also optional text.
The Dragon Orb (9 color options) is designed to color code spell schools, but they are also optional. I suppose you could even use them to identify spell books.
The Ritual Icon and Concentration Icons are selectable and optional.
The spell characteristics are all drop down menu selections catered to D&D 5E.
A flavor text is provided, but space is limited to allow for more spell description space. I use the flavor text as a reference text.

[Updated]

THE DOWNLOAD HAS BEEN UPDATED:

[updated files]
Based on the feedback and completely recreating the entire spell collection in D&D 5E, I have made numerous updates to the original files.
1. Added font files for those who could not find them.
2. Added Eldritch Knight and Racial to the list of spell classes.
3. Added Eldritch Knight background card with icon. (Shaman is still included, just in case it comes out in the future).
4. Added New Oaths, Pacts, and Domains from the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide.
5. Reorganized the Spell details to make more room for spell description.
6. Redesigned graphic background (slightly) to make more room for the spell description.
7. Made the spell description field larger, and scaleable, but kept the scale limited to readable size font.
8. Renamed the "flavor text" to "Source Text" (it just made sense to do so and directs players to source when spells have complex and long descriptions)

These files have been updated. Latest version 2015-11-11.

[New Style Added to download] 2016-10-6

A second style has been added called Spellbook Cards Simple. Just add it to the Data Folder beside the original style folder for this set. This will provide you two different styles of card sets to use using the same game files. You will not have to change any of your data in your card set.

The new style is designed to be a High Visual for ease of reading. The "Parchment" texture has been removed from the card design and the main card background is plain white, making all text much easier to read.

[Another New Style Added to download] 2016-10-8

A third style has been added called Spellbook Cards Draconic. This set has a dragon theme -- textured colors are dragon scales. Draconic inscription lines the spell parchment. The concentration and ritual icons are replaced with Draconic markers. The Spell school orbs have draconic script added. And a large dragon scale has been added to reflect the spell level through color codes -- a different dragon scale for each level. Glowing draconic spell script adorns each dragon scale.

[Another New Style Added to download] 2016-10-22

A fourth style has been added called Spellbook Cards Large Image. This set has a large background image option for the users. Add your own background, whether it be a texture or picture, to customize your cards. I've included a scaling feature in the style to change the intensity of the image to lighten the image to the point of being a watermark. There are pre-loaded colors for the borders, but you can select your own colors. You can also tint the background in the same color as your selected border. The spell details are straightforward text and uses the same information used by the other styles.

[Another New Style Added to download] 2016-10-23

A fifth style has been called called Spellbook Cards Scroll. Each card is a scroll between matching scroll rods. There are 26 unique scroll designs. Spell school is represented by unique wax seals. Rituals are indicated by the white ribbon on a wax seal. Spells requireing concentration are indicated by the blue ribbon on a wax seal. Spell domains, oaths, pacts, and circles are represented in one of two ways selectable in the style tab: a unique watermark or a unique scroll ribbon. This is a very clean design with lots of artwork.

[Another new Style Added to Download] 2016-11-15

A sixth style added called Spellbook Cards Horizontal. As the name implies, orientation of the cards is landscape. Several textures are provided to function as textures or background for the cards. You may also add your own artwork. Both textures and background art have variable intensity. Several borders in various magic spell script fonts are provided. This style can also support non-spellcard entries such as class and race features and actions, or whatever your players needs to assist them at the table. All these options are selectable in the style tab. One other addition is the "edit mode" to assist in identifying a couple of "hidden" block that appear only when needed which keeps the card design clean.

[Updated to include latest Spell Domains from Unearthed Arcana] 2016-11-27

Game file has been updated to support latest spell domain updates from Unearthed Arcana. Included are the three Cleric Domains: Forge, Grave, and Protection. Included are two warlock patrons: The Seeker, and the Undying Light. Included is the Deep Stalker Ranger domain. Included is the Abyssal Arcana for the Tiefling Subrace. Included is the Stormborn Domain for the Sorcerer origin.

Game file support all styles.

Scroll Style has been updated to include watermark and scroll ribbons for latest spell domains.

[Added style for Spell Slots ] 2016-12-1

New style file added to create Spell Slot cards. Style file has four themes: simple (number centric), bold (color centric), classes (class icon identifiers added), and black magic (with unique spell effects on each spell slot level). The style file can be used to create spell slot cards on its own or re-skin your current spell library into spell slot cards.

[MAJOR Update to Game File and several Style Files] 2017-01-16

I’ve just completed a major overhaul of the game file that will add massive flexibility to users.

Game File. Code has been rewritten and additional scripts and word lists added to the game folders. This update allows all drop down fields to be editable to accommodate homebrew and other game systems. To date, the file had only supported D&D 5e classes. I have also been updating the files to support new additions from the Unearthed Arcana. Now, the fields allow you to enter you own material. Below is the breakdown of the changes:

Spell Class: Includes D&D 5e and UA, but now you can enter older classes from D&D or other systems.
Spell Domains: Includes D&D 5e and UA domains, but now you can enter custom spell domains.
Spell Schools: Includes traditional D&D nine magic schools, but now you can add your own.
Spell Levels: Includes Cantrip to 9th Level, now allows to other level types (just in case)
Spell Casting Time, Spell Range, and Spell Duration: Includes D&D 5e data, but can accommodate any data from any system now.

Download and replace current game folder. Download will include all necessary game files.
Some style files will need to be re-downloaded to work with the new game file design.

Three Style Files were updated to accommodate the new game file design:
The Draconic template, the Spell Scroll template, and the Spell Slot template.
The templates are designed to provide icon/symbols representation based on the D&D 5e system. Custom levels and magic schools are not represented in the Draconic style.
Custom level and classes are not represented in the Spell Slot style. Spell Slot style does include an icon for the Artificer class recently published in Unearthed Arcana.
Custom levels and magic schools are represented by a common icon in the Spell Scroll style. Custom Domains are note represented in the Spell Scroll style. (Though I am working on the option)
To assist in the completing of spell cards in the Spell Scroll template, I have added an edit mode and provided a transparent color font as a choice for edit mode fields.

These three Style Files will need to be downloaded and replace the older style folders to update the styles to work with the new game file: The Draconic template, the Spell Scroll template, and the Spell Slot template.

All other styles, which present the information in text form, work without any additional changes or downloading of updates.

Lots of work went into this to create flexibility for the users and allow support for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Edition D&D as well as Pathfinder and other RPG systems with spells. I am examining other RPG systems than can be supported. If you have a preference, let me know.
I will continue to provide these files for free on this site, and will continue to update the files as needed for the community. I appreciate your support.

[Micro update to Game File] 2017-01-16
Minor update to the game file to Support the new UA Ranger: Horizon Walker and Primeval Guardian. Update to the Spell Scroll style in the works.

[Update to Game File and Scroll Style] 2017-03-20
Update to Game file to include Hexblade, The Raven Queen Patron and Metal Magic to Support UA Warlock and Sorcerer options.
Spell Scroll style updated to include ribbon and imprints to support Hexblade, The Raven Queen patron, Metal Magic, Horizon Walker, and Primeval Guardian spell domains.

[Updated to include latest Spell Domains from Unearthed Arcana] 2017-3-28

Game file has been updated to support latest spell domain updates from Unearthed Arcana. Included is the Monster Slayer Ranger Domains and the Paladin Oath of Redemption.

Scroll Style has been updated to include watermark and scroll ribbons for latest spell domains.

[New File Added - SRD 5e Spell Card Set Data] 2017-3-30

SRD OGL now includes spells, so I've included the Spell Data file called SRD D&D 5e Spell Cards which will contain all the SRD OGL spells for D&D 5e. It also includes selected domains, circles, pacts, and oaths applicable to the SRD OGL. That's 893 spell cards in the set (domains, circles, pacts, and oaths spells are listed twice -- once for the non-domain, once for domain).

You will still need to add all the other spells from other sources and annotate the other domain spells, but this file will provide all new users with a huge head start in their spell card collection.

Zip file contains the SRD D&D 5e Spell Cards data usable with MSE, the Spellbook-Card.game file, and the supporting templates, as well as the SRD Open Game License applicable to the data set.

[Changed the title of the download to Spell Cards as this download now include both spellcards and the template files to use the spell cards in Magic Set Editor]

Below are seven sample cards using the different styles.

Magic Missile.jpg Magic Missile Dragon Scale.jpg Magic Missile Simple.jpg Magic Missile Large Image Style.jpg Magic Missile Scroll Style.jpgMagic Missile H.jpgCunning Action.jpg

Below are sample cards of the different themes for the spell slot style.

Spellslot1.jpg spellslot2.jpg Spellslot3.jpg Spellslot4.jpg

You can find the file here in the downloads section. Please use this thread for comments.

Last edited:

Cr0n_J0b

Villager
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to D&D...well...I'm a reboot to D&D. I played a bit as a kid and now that I have kids, I started them playing to keep off the computers and use their imaginations. Anyway. One issue I have is keeping track of all the feats, rules and items. i have character sheets, but the kids have a hard time tracking all the detail. My thought is that using cards like this would really be a great help. I DL'd MSE and the templates, but I'm not familiar with the system, so I don't understand how to use the templates. Can someone point me to a link on how to integrate the templates here into the program? It looks like MSE if for MtG cards. I opened it up and tried to "open existing deck" but the templates don't show up. Sorry for the dumb questions.

thanks again for the help and the content.

pdzoch

Explorer
Well met, hirahito! I am that same person. This set is a new, and the others that I have added on the downloads for D&D, are a new creation, built using what I learned working at that project. I have three online different card sets in the downloads now, each with a different purpose and each using a different game and style format. The one similarity that I kept from the 4E UCS project was to keep the cards sets as customizable as possible. I do have an update for this set based on my building the entire spell library coming soon. But I am not yet finished building the library so I am waiting to release the latest update until I proof all my cards.

Li Shenron

Legend
[MENTION=80982]pdzoch[/MENTION]

Here's my first attempt at a D&D game card design. I'm thinking about printing these the size of 1/8 of an A4 page.

As mentioned to you before, my idea is to make not just spells but also other actions (weapon attacks, class abilities, standard combat actions...) to help players remember what they can do without having to scan their character sheet pages constantly. The key of the idea is to have different border colors depending on the kind of action / time required.

Sleep.png

edit: wow... that came up quite a lot bigger than expected :D

pdzoch

Explorer
Here's my first attempt at a D&D game card design. I'm thinking about printing these the size of 1/8 of an A4 page.
As mentioned to you before, my idea is to make not just spells but also other actions (weapon attacks, class abilities, standard combat actions...) to help players remember what they can do without having to scan their character sheet pages constantly. The key of the idea is to have different border colors depending on the kind of action / time required.

Pretty Card. Image might be too small when it is at card size, but I can add it in. Given the multi-function of the card, it looks like you will need mostly open text boxes to meet a variety of needs. Perhaps only a title, subtitle, and then text box. Do you want the color to correspond with the action type? or something else? or do you want the color to not be linked to the "action" box in the lower right?

Li Shenron

Legend
Pretty Card. Image might be too small when it is at card size, but I can add it in. Given the multi-function of the card, it looks like you will need mostly open text boxes to meet a variety of needs. Perhaps only a title, subtitle, and then text box. Do you want the color to correspond with the action type? or something else? or do you want the color to not be linked to the "action" box in the lower right?

Yes the border color is the key for the use of these cards! Each combat action type (action, bonus action, reaction, not-an-action) will have a different border color, and so will non-combat action types (in which case I'm thinking one color for everything that takes max 1 hour or short rest, and another color for anything that takes longer.

The "action" box in the corner might seem redundant, but in many out-of-combat spells and abilities it is necessary to mention somewhere how much time is specifically required, such as "10 minutes" or "8 hours". When no such info is necessary, it's ok to use the same area to mention the action type instead, as in the Sleep case. In this first draft this info is in a box in the bottom-right (an area most likely unused), but I was also thinking to overlay this text directly on the border (instead of using a box), either on top-right, bottom-right, middle-top or middle-bottom.

pdzoch

Explorer
Yes the border color is the key for the use of these cards! Each combat action type (action, bonus action, reaction, not-an-action) will have a different border color, and so will non-combat action types (in which case I'm thinking one color for everything that takes max 1 hour or short rest, and another color for anything that takes longer.

The "action" box in the corner might seem redundant, but in many out-of-combat spells and abilities it is necessary to mention somewhere how much time is specifically required, such as "10 minutes" or "8 hours". When no such info is necessary, it's ok to use the same area to mention the action type instead, as in the Sleep case. In this first draft this info is in a box in the bottom-right (an area most likely unused), but I was also thinking to overlay this text directly on the border (instead of using a box), either on top-right, bottom-right, middle-top or middle-bottom.

I can do this. Give me a week or so and I'll draft up a new template.

Li Shenron

Legend
I can do this. Give me a week or so and I'll draft up a new template.

Thanks a lot!! Before next week I will try to make a few more cards with Strange Eons, before switching to MSE. I need to assess better how much time-consuming Strange Eons is, because to my understanding it doesn't use templates, so for new cards I will have to copy-paste previous ones and replace text and picture. If it proves to be messy and time-wasting (e.g. if it forces me to manually resize/position each image at pixel-perfect level) then I'll switch to MSE. I will certainly appreciate any help or guidance :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases