Random Encounter Tables

ExoKnight

Explorer
With a number of the early edition books being out on DnDClassics, have you considered the possibility of a published supplement? I have no idea of what legal issues there may be. You have quite a lot of tables, here, and a book of tables may seem like the next logical step.

On my radar but a long way off. If I do I would publish it under Labyrinth Lord which is a B/X/AD&D 1E retro-clone. I'd like to compile the random dungeon rooms and mundane items into one book once I reach a certain threshold.

My dream project is an OSR Monster book. I've been slowly commissioning art for monsters but its expensive so that may take a couple of years to complete. Plus I like full color art so that jacks up the price.

On my radar but a long way off. If I do I would publish it under Labyrinth Lord which is a B/X/AD&D 1E retro-clone. I'd like to compile the random dungeon rooms and mundane items into one book once I reach a certain threshold.

My dream project is an OSR Monster book. I've been slowly commissioning art for monsters but its expensive so that may take a couple of years to complete. Plus I like full color art so that jacks up the price.
Have you considered stock art? The benefit is generally lower prices, while the downsides are generally lower quality, and lack of exclusivity. However, that is somewhat balanced by a large selection. DrivethruRPG, for example, has a stock art section under Publisher Resources.

Alternately, pairing with a publisher may get you the resources you need, but you generally give up control; generally a lot of control.

ExoKnight

Explorer
Have you considered stock art? The benefit is generally lower prices, while the downsides are generally lower quality, and lack of exclusivity. However, that is somewhat balanced by a large selection. DrivethruRPG, for example, has a stock art section under Publisher Resources.

Alternately, pairing with a publisher may get you the resources you need, but you generally give up control; generally a lot of control.

Stock art is an option. There is also public domain art that I might use. For the monsters I prefer commissioned artwork. I can afford about 10 pieces of new art a quarter and I have an artist that isn't too expensive. Right now I own 7 pieces of monster artwork and in the next couple of weeks I'll be getting 7 more pieces of artwork. If I can get 40 pieces next year that would be great. The goal is for a 96 page full color hardcover using LL. Slow and steady for 2 years to get that done.

As for pairing with a publishers, I'm not interested in that. I'm not in it to make money. Breaking even would be great. This is by far a labor of love.

Remove ads