Solo Adventuring: Any Ideas?

The Other Guy

First Post
Ok, so I've been throwing around the idea of running a solo adventure. Just a DM and one player.

How would this work? I was thinking the character would have to start at a higher level. Also, it would make for a better story if the character was somewhat "unique". Perhaps a creature from savage species. or interesting prestige class, or lone drow warrior who shuns his heritage for their evil ways (naw, that would never work.)

I would want the mission to be very story driven, resembling a cool action movie with a lone hero. A Conan movie might suffice, but with a better plot.

Anyway, if anyone has any experience in this, please let me know. Also, if anyone just has some cool ideas illustrating how this could be done, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

EricNoah

Adventurer
I've run a couple of campaigns that way.

In one, the player ran two "main" PCs and I ran two "minor" NPCs. It ended up working out pretty well, I think we ran the campaign for a year or more before we stopped.

In the other, the player ran a "regent" PC for a Birthright campaign. Another player would join us now and then and act as his loyal lieutenant, but ultimately it was just the regent deciding on how to run his country, and then I would decide how other countries around reacted and also prepared more standard "adventures." He always had a pick of various NPCs who would travel with him on these quests. My Birthright adventure logs for this campaign are on my RPG website (see sig link).

Kal Skid

First Post
I currently am both DMing and playing in a two person campaign, and it works out great.

The PC gets much more attention than s/he would normally get. Backstory becomes crucial, enemies are generally weaker, and the plot is usually more focused.

As for starting at above level one, it's up to you. Both of the two person campaigns have been started at lvl 1. Having an NPC or two following the PC around can really help in both combat and non-combat situations. The PC I'm currently DMing is a Human Fighter, so he has a Human Bard(Monte Cook's version) and a Sun Elf Wizard with him. They're both tied in with plot, so should be able to stay for a while. As a group, they are more or less balanced.

As for making the PC more powerful than average (i.e. better ability scores, perhaps applying a template to him after a certain story event, etc), absolutely do it. This will make the adventure much more enjoyable for the PC.

blackshirt5

First Post
I like the idea of solo adventuring, and I'm gonna run a few solo adventures for the characters in my campaign when they get back to the Prime Material Plane in my campaign.

In my case though(if you're running em like me) you've gotta be careful to balance it so it doesn't end in certain death.

From my experience doing 1-2 people adventuring groups-

Higher Level

Build a thourogh background. Role polying is more important than combat at this point

Make the character special; special stats, holder of an minor artifact, lost heir to a throne, prophecised person of importance.

Build a collection of NPCs that support / challenge character

CrazyMage

4th Level Lawful Good Cleric
I'm DMing a game like that now for my friend. Combat is not a huge emphasis (and I'm not stingy with appropriate non-combat XP), both because he is the only player (h-elf ranger), and we're playing via Instant Messaging. I've had various sidekicks come and go; right now the PC is saddled with a very loquacious halfling rogue based off of Klaus' Lidda picture. We're both having fun exploring my homebrew world.

mistergone

First Post
Don't be afraid to play fast and loose with the rules. With one person, you can edit the story more and that gives both the DM and the player more freedom. Definately have the PC be something special.

I've played a few games this way and usually, I don't even throw in any NPC followers. The PC is always very "heroic" though, in that they can, say, enter into an orc bandit lair and take out all 20-some odd orcs alone (but not all at once). I usually hand out one cool item, almost always a weapon, at the very beginning. Things just tend to favor the PC, without going blatantly their way all the time. I ran a superhero campaign for a long time like this, with one player, but occasionally other plays would "guest star".

Thresher

First Post
I always used to like doing the PC-GM thing as a sort of co-adventure where you play a main NPC 'buddy' kind of character to compliment the PC.
Nice thing about that is you can switch roles every 2nd week where the other guy GM's and play your NPC as a main character.

Havent done it for ages though :(

The Other Guy

First Post
Wow, some great ideas guys. Keep em comming.

I get the feeling that the common theme here is that the PC should be a high level, that way, all the fun spells and abilities can come into play.

Sounds like this could be very cool.

Zappo

Explorer
If you aren't going to support him with a bunch of helpful NPCs at all times, you will of course have to tailor adventures to ihs abilities. For example, if he plays a fighter, you shouldn't throw an invisible flying wizard at him. If you want to run "normal" D&D adventures, his class options are fairly restricted; he will either need to multiclass and be very high level, or belong to a very versatile class such as a cleric or bard. In any case, keep in mind that with only one character the EL/CR rules no longer work.

Remove ads