Please help me build a 15th level character

zyzzyr

First Post
Hi all,

I am starting a new campaign in Forgotten Realms (exact location undetermined). We are aiming for a high-powered campaign as all of our previous adventures have been 9th level and lower.

The guidelines are: 15th level, 34 point stat buy, $$ according to DMG guidelines for 15th level (within reason - no major artifacts).

Any published source can be used. Any combination of classes/prestige classes, and any races. (Savage Species is probably out as neither I nor my DM probably want to buy it - though particularly good suggestions might change my mind :))

I've previously played a 9th lev half-orc Bbn, and a wiz3/rog3 human. No particular wishes other than not those combinations - though perhaps other interesting combinations that include these would be acceptable.

I've been looking at Geomancer - something like wiz3/clr3/geo9. I also like Animal Lord (get all levels of the prestige class for that!) or Elementalist (once again, all levels!). The Summoner prestige class from R&R looks really neat too.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

zyzzyr

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Go straight Cleric but aim for the Bloodchild PrC from Quintessential Cleric...really powerful PrC that means you discover your are the literal descendant of a God. Requires BAB11+, Empower Spell and ability to cast Holy/Unholy Aura. Benefits include True Res 1/day at 5th level, and Gate 1/day at 4th, plus full spell levels. :D

Starman

Adventurer
How about:

LN Monk of the Old Order 9/Sorcerer 6
LG Paladin of Torm 5/Cleric of Torm 10
CG Barbarian 5/Bard 10
CG Rogue 5/Thief-Acrobat 10
LG Paladin of Azuth 5/Wizard 10

Just a few suggestions. Hope they help.:)

Starman

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
How about a CN Wizard 5/Fatespinner 10? Probably a worshiper of Tymora or Beshaba, depending on whether you play him as an optimist or a pessimist.

Demiurge out.

Ace

Adventurer
Single Classed Elf Sorcerer L15

Gold Elf Wizard 10 Arcmage 5 with Spell casting prodigy and a 20 INT

Elf Cleric

Human Barbarian 1, Rogue 5 Fighter 4 Tempest 5

Ranger 1 Rogue 8 PRC 6

Barbarian 2 Bard 13

Remathilis

Legend
An excellent Choice to Try:

WITCH

Druid 5/Wandering Mystic 5/Candle Caster 5.

How its done: start as a druid until 5th level, then alternate Mystic with Candle Caster until 20th level.

Stats: You're going to want to focus on Wisdom (spells, skills), Charisma (Glory of the Divine), Dex (AC bonus), and Int (Skill Points). Con can take a hit, and strength is not necessary at all.

Skills: You need ranks in: Craft: Candlemaking (6), Alchemy (3), Diplomacy(8), Know: Nature(3), Perform(3), and Profession: Herbalist(3). Alchemy, and Perform are cross class.
Druids get 4 SP/Level, thus filling up Craft, Diplomacy, Knowledge, Profession. You need a 14 Int for Alchemy and Perform. (12 if human).
Luckily, Profession and Knowledge need not be maxed out (the are prc req. met at first level), so feel free to alot points elsewhere after meeting the requirements. (in Wildernless Lore, for example).

Feats: Iron Will and Great Fortitude. If your Human, take them at frist level for massive awesome saves. After That, Dodge at 3rd, Extra Wildshape at 6th. 9th could be a meta-magic or Magical Artisan. 12th and 15th are up to you.

BAB/Saves: Your Fort and Will Saves will be great. (Druid + the feats), and Will gets better with Mystic Wander and Candle Caster. Reflex gets a boots with Mystic Wanderer. Without ability mods, you're looking at a base bonus of +10/+8/+14 on saves. Your BAB is going to suck however, +7/+2 at 15th level.

HP: d8's to start, then you'll alternate between 8s and 4s.

Class Abilities: Your early druid levels give you some gems (bonus's to save, detect plants/water, pass without trace) but the real prize is 5th level wildshape. You're never going to get better at it, so take extra wildshape and live with x3 day.
Wandering Mystic will give you your cha bonus to AC (make it good!), Sleep 1/day, skill bonus's, a familiar, more bonus's to charms, gem magic, brew potion (imp), and suggestion. You'll eventually be able to get the Greater Potion powers, which will let you make potions as if you had the Sor/Wiz Spell list. All of em.
If you make epic level, finish the progression into Timeless Body.
Candle Caster will give you more Metamagic Items than you can shake a stick at. Keep spells on hand, but make candles of lesser used or regenerative spells (cures, slow poison, restoration, and the gem of druids, Regenerate X Wounds). Magical Artisan makes it dirt cheap too.
Focus your gold into making cheap druidic potions and candles, then begin making stuff for friends!

Magical Items: Buy Defensive Magic. Bracers, rings, amulets of NA, etc. A Cloak of Cha and Periphat of Wisdom are musts. You won't need magical Armor, so get a simple, nice weapon (sure striking doesn't hurt, but whatever you want.)

Spells: You will be casting as a 15th level druid. Go Nuts. Keep lesser used spells as potions or candles, then focus on elemental attack spells (wall of fire, ice storm, flame strike) or whatever your heart desires.

Tactics: Play as if you were a mage: out of combat, casting lots of spells. Wild Shape if you need to get into Melee or flee from it.

Races: Humans work the best due to its skill intensive combo. Elves fit the flavor well (esp sun elves), as do half-elves. A halfling might fit this role too. Dwarves, gnomes, and half-orcs don't fit the mold. If you're willing to take an ECL hit, Aasimar works great too.

Tweaking the Concept: Cleric would work well in this combo, but its alot harder to meet the Skill Requirement. You could dump Candle Caster and go straight Wandering Mystic as well.

Books: Magic of Faerun (Mystic Wanderer), Tome and Blood (Candle Caster), Master's of the Wild (Extra Wildshape), Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (Magical Artisan, sun elf).

zyzzyr

First Post
Hi,

Thanks all for the help (Remathilis - definitely above and beyond the call!)

I've been toying with some ideas myself, and I notice a HUGE impact on the higher levels when multiclassing

Eg., level 6 char wiz3/clr3 - fine, you've given up 3rd level wiz spells for 1/2 clr spells. That's fair.

vs level 15 clr5/wiz10 - you've given up 6,7,8 level wiz spells for 1-3 clr spells. Not a fair trade by any stretch!

Why the two suggestions for bbn low/brd high? What is it in particular about these combinations that is appealing?

I see the ranger/rogue idea - TWF and sneak attack? deadly!

Remathilis - as much as your idea is intriguing, I just can't wrap my head around the Candle Caster. I don't have Magic of Faerun, though, so I don't know enough about wandering mystic. I guess I'll pick that up soon.

In addition, I am very tempted to take Animal Lord - though I am very worried about the balance of power between Drd5/Anm10 and sometihng like Wiz15. I don't care too much within the party - I just don't want to be asskicked by someone I go to see.

Thanks for the help!

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
zyzzyr said:

In addition, I am very tempted to take Animal Lord - though I am very worried about the balance of power between Drd5/Anm10 and sometihng like Wiz15. I don't care too much within the party - I just don't want to be asskicked by someone I go to see.

Thanks for the help!

Don't be worried about power problems and the animal lord. While you might not be a killing machine, those animal companions, plus your use as a party support character (something druids are decent at) will make up for it (just hope you'll spend more time in the wilds then in the dungeons).

Demiurge out.

Remathilis

Legend
zyzzyr,

No problem with the combo, alot of that was just a giant brainstorm based on a PC I once ran. Its a different combination with alot of role-playing potential, but I think I can help in other ways.

A druid/Animal Lord is good, but you are giving up mighty spell progression for your power. How about Ranger/Animal Lord?

Animal Empathy (6) is met with ease at 2nd level, Wilderness Lore (8) met at 5th, and the (2) ranks appropriate skill is nothing with ranger SP.

Animal Control can be taken at 6th level as a ranger (since both spells are available to rangers @ 4th. The appropriate feat is easy to take, except for improved flight for a birdlord, that requires druid wildshape (or be a averial race, I guess).

Bonuses: a ranger/animal lord sacrifices less than a druid/animal lord, esp in spells.
Negatives: Lower BAB and HD lessens warriorhood.

Combos:
Ranger/Apelord: Think Tarzan. Light Armor, spear, favored enemy: whatever.
Ranger/Bearlord: Get Cleave and Great Cleave, and go as high in Str as possible.
Ranger/Catlord: Two Weapon Fighting + Finesse Weapons. Maybe bladed Gauntlet?
Ranger/Equinelord: Take a level of barbarian for extra fast movement, then bull rush.
Ranger/Marinelord: Uh, avoid unless your sure you'll be near water. Nevertheless, trident and net fighting, couple with favored enemy:Aquatic Humanoid is nice.
Ranger/Snakelord: Take Snake-blood from FRCS, then pick Yuan-Ti as a favored enemy.
Ranger/Wolflord: Scent makes for an excellent tracker and scout. Bonus points for favored enemy: shapechangers (lycanthropes).

SPECIAL NOTE: SNAKELORD have a misprint in thier first totem. The Sage says you should subsitute Clever Wrestling for Resist Poison as their bonus feat.

Final Levels: Ranger 6/Animal Lord 9

Hope this helps.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
zyzzyr,

If you have access to R&R1 (and I assume you do since you mentioned Summoner), perhaps you'd prefer something a little more martial. Definately think you'd be up for the Viligant from that book. Thus go: Ranger3/Rogue3/Viligant 9. But that's just me.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases