EN World City Project: Geography

Tallow

First Post
Re: Re: Cattle Ranches

lalato said:
Grey Dwarf... my prayers are with you and your family today. :(

Tallow... I would say that the main cattle ranching area is in the highlands northwest and northeast of the city. There is currently some farm land just north of the city... some that land could also be used for cattle ranching. We're talking about very large sheep here... not necessarily cows.

--sam

Hmm... Interesting. I suppose any hooved livestock could be considered cattle... but cattle almost ALWAYS refers to cows. Is there a thread somewhere that indicates we are talking large sheep rather than cows? I was planning on submitting a few ideas on the ranches, but I would like to read all the information that's already been developed first.

Location would be a primary concern right now as well.

Andy Christian

The Grey Dwarf

First Post
First I'd like to thank you all for your support. I really appreciate.

The city is surrounded by grasslands, anything could graze there: cows, sheep, reindeer, buffalos, horses, ... The farmland to the north is too good for them and is dedicated to crops.
Some pig farms should also be placed around the city but not too far.

Huge sheep rule!

Attachments

• argali.jpg
    argali.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 181

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
The Grey Dwarf said:
The city is surrounded by grasslands, anything could graze there: cows, sheep, reindeer, buffalos, horses, ... The farmland to the north is too good for them and is dedicated to crops.
Some pig farms should also be placed around the city but not too far.

Huge sheep rule!

I like the big horn sheep idea, less traditional than cattle. And since there seems to be some need for more options that simply cattle, I've changed 'cattle' to 'ranching' in the summary.

And you want the pig farms close to the city, but not to close. :)

The Grey Dwarf

First Post
Knightfall1972 said:

I like the big horn sheep idea, less traditional than cattle. And since there seems to be some need for more options that simply cattle, I've changed 'cattle' to 'ranching' in the summary.
And you want the pig farms close to the city, but not to close. :)
I don't remember who had the idea for sheep though. It will come back to me one day. :rolleyes:

As for the pigs, they're an alternate sewage system. So not too far from the city but far from the high class estates. I'd say to the north-eastern side of the city.

Conaill

First Post
The Grey Dwarf said:
As for the pigs, they're an alternate sewage system. So not too far from the city but far from the high class estates. I'd say to the north-eastern side of the city.

I get the impression that pigs produce more sewage than they consume! ;) How about combine both ideas and do goats instead of sheep and pigs? They'll eat just about anything. Some of the longhorned mountain goats are very similar to the kind of sheep you've been suggesting in size and build (some mountain goats are actually more closely related to sheep than goats!) With the watersilk we don't need the sheep's wool as much (but some species of goat can be shorn as well). And I think they may even be a better source for dairy than sheep as well.

Garbage disposal, source of meat and dairy all in one convenient package! :)

Heck, if we feed them on the garbage heap behind the alchemist's workshop, maybe we can market a source of pre-dyed wool! :D

Lalato

Adventurer
The sheep was me. I had been reading about Marco Polo Sheep (aka Argali) for a separate project... and thought they would fit nicely here. :)

--sam

The Grey Dwarf

First Post
Conaill said:
I get the impression that pigs produce more sewage than they consume! ;) How about combine both ideas and do goats instead of sheep and pigs? They'll eat just about anything. Some of the longhorned mountain goats are very similar to the kind of sheep you've been suggesting in size and build (some mountain goats are actually more closely related to sheep than goats!) With the watersilk we don't need the sheep's wool as much (but some species of goat can be shorn as well). And I think they may even be a better source for dairy than sheep as well.
Garbage disposal, source of meat and dairy all in one convenient package! :)

Heck, if we feed them on the garbage heap behind the alchemist's workshop, maybe we can market a source of pre-dyed wool! :D
I think this decision belongs to Buttercup anyway. I just supply the grass. :D

These goats would have quite a short lifespan and would be in need of constant therapy. They would be herded by the Guild of Goat Handlers (With Care).
You could have Surprise Goat for lunch (and Surprised Goat for supper).
Bards could include lines about lovers taking oaths to the sound of goats exploding in the distance.
Not only would the wool come pre-dryed but also in varied colours (often patchwork).

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
Since the decision belongs to me, according to Grey Dwarf, I'd say any sort of ranching is ok. Sheep, pigs, goats and steak on the hoof. Gotta have steak.:D

As for goats, I see no reason why there might not be a few of these inside the city. A family just wealthy enough to have a single-family dwelling, with a bit of yard, might well want a goat to dispose of refuse, and to provide milk. A family wealthy enough to afford a few servants might have a few goats, and perhaps a dairy maid to milk them and even make cheese and butter. (Can you make butter from goat's milk? I assume so. But since you don't hear about it, it probably tastes horrible.) Then too, you can sheer them once a year and have some wool to use for knitting the family's socks. Very efficient, goats. Also they don't smell nearly as bad as pigs.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases