Mor's End Craft & Trade Submissions

Krug

Newshound
Re: Re: Re: Stalker's Adventure Supplies

jdavis said:

I think that if you changed him to a more ambiguous "very high level" that might allow for a higher level of usability by DM's. If he's not going to have any stats anyway then there is no reason to even give him a known range of levels just call him very mysterious and powerful and allow DM's to work him in how they see fit, he should just be a complete mystery. I also agree that he should have absolutely no interest or influence in the town, he could be very unbalancing, he should just be a mysterious person who people know nothing about but wild rumors. I liked the store concept.

I don't know. He's so hopeless generic and powerful I think it might be better served to taking him out.

I also think we shouldn't have that many 'complete mysteries' in the city. We already have one in the Warrens.

David Argall

First Post
mysteries

" I also think we shouldn't have that many 'complete mysteries' in the city."

Not at all. We should have loads of them. All sorts of places for the DM to hang whatever he wants.

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
Hi everybody! Sorry I've been scarce around here, but real life has been extremely busy, both at work and at home. We've also had sporadic internet problems. We now think it might be our D-Link or perhaps the ethernet card in the desktop. We've replaced everything else, so it sort of has to be one of them. I expect to be crazy-busy for the rest of this week, through Saturday. I'll catch up as soon as I can.

Anyway, Knightfall, thanks for the heads-up. I'll update my files asap.

Steveroo, here are my thoughts about Stalker. (Please don't take offense to any of my comments. I'm trying to give constructive criticism.)

1. I'm not fond of the name, since it sounds a bit, well, juvenile. Could you come up with a real name for him?

2. After reading your submission over once, albeit quickly, I see no reason why he has to be 65th level. He could easily be, say, 15th or better yet, 10th. A 65th level character is essentially a deity. Is that what you intended? Because we really don't want to include specific gods in Mor's End.

3. Many DMs don't like having magic items as easily available as Stalker's shop. They could, of course, remove him from the city as long as you make him completely modular.

4. You say that he gains levels during the use of Mor's End as a campaign setting. I'm trying to imagine what a 65th level character could fight that would actually gain them any experience, that wouldn't also change the face of a planet or at the very least change the whole course of human events. And we really don't want to go there.

5. Adamantine. It tends to be associated with Drow and the Underdark, which we have specifically excluded. Regardless, it is an extremely powerful metal, and I'm afraid that including it might be unbalancing. It would be better to leave it out and let DMs add it in if they need to, I think.

I'm sorry Steveroo, but I think Stalker as written is completely unbalancing. He's so powerful that putting him in the city pretty much guarantees that any adventure that happens has to be about him. If you tone him way, way down, eliminate the adamantine, and maybe make the selection in his shop be slightly less complete, then I think he might work.

Conaill

First Post
Buttercup said:
Adamantine. It tends to be associated with Drow and the Underdark, which we have specifically excluded. Regardless, it is an extremely powerful metal, and I'm afraid that including it might be unbalancing. It would be better to leave it out and let DMs add it in if they need to, I think.

Have to disagree on this little point at least. I've always seen adamatine as being more associated with dwarves. Besides, in a *low* magic world, special materials will tend to play a much greater role. Also, we can expect special materials to play a much larger role in the upcoming 3.5 revision.

All in all, we definitely don't want to exclude such a standard material as Adamantine from Mor's End. I would even say it might be more available there, with the presence of the dwarves and mining operations in the area.

Lalato

Adventurer
I'm not sure "low" magic is the best way to describe Mor's End. I think we're just trying to make Mor's End easily usable by most DMs in most medieval fantasy setting. Limiting the amount of high powered magic makes it easier to transport the city from setting to setting.

Kul Moren produces iron, not adamantite. Having said that, Mor's End is supposed to be a trade hub so those types of material might be more readily available.

As for the Stalker thing overall... he's way too powerful as currently written.

--sam

Conaill

First Post
lalato said:
I'm not sure "low" magic is the best way to describe Mor's End. I think we're just trying to make Mor's End easily usable by most DMs in most medieval fantasy setting.

That's what I meant. Limiting the availability of things like Adamantium would make Mor's End less attractive for those who want to integrate it into a low magic campaign. That's an entirely separate issue from what to do with Stalker though...

Krug

Newshound
Conaill said:

Have to disagree on this little point at least. I've always seen adamatine as being more associated with dwarves. Besides, in a *low* magic world, special materials will tend to play a much greater role. Also, we can expect special materials to play a much larger role in the upcoming 3.5 revision.

All in all, we definitely don't want to exclude such a standard material as Adamantine from Mor's End. I would even say it might be more available there, with the presence of the dwarves and mining operations in the area.

Well I don't think it should be more common either. With the benefits it can give, I don't see it as being easy to find and I still think it should be excluded. We have enough trades and such to work with and I think we should stick with those.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Weaponsmith
The Endearing Edge

A small but profitable weaponsmith shop located in the southern part of the Commercial District near Oldbridge, The Endearing Edge is known for finely crafted swords, axes and other edged weapons. In fact, its owner, Brandon Delswan, is known as one of the premier weaponsmiths in all of Enheim. His work garners much prestige due to the exotic materials he uses and the intricate symbols and markings he lovingly engraves into each piece he does.

As a result, most of his weapons are masterwork in quality, although he does sell swords and axes of slightly reduced quality. A wizard or sorcerer wanting an edged weapon to enchant, usually go to Brandon before anyone else. However, the amazing quality means that his wares aren’t cheap and even some members of the lesser noble houses in Mor’s End have been known to scoff at Brandon’s prices. Most, however, resign to paying his prices, as his wares are truly magnificent to behold and use. Once, a visiting paladin actually wept at the beauty of one sword, which bought on the spot and had enchanted in honor to his God.

All of this prestige means that Brandon has become quite a vain man over the years. He sells only to the highest bidder, although he has taken special requests from some of the more prominent members of the city’s military including several Royal Guardsmen. He never sells weapons to lowly adventurers unless they have a noble patron that vouches for them. There is nothing endearing about Brandon Delswan, just his weapons.

Brandon Delswan, male human Exp5: Medium-size Humanoid (human); HD 5d6+5; 26 hp; Init +0; Spd 30ft.; AC 10; Melee +5 masterwork short sword (1d6+1); AL NE; SV Fort +1, Ref +1, Will +4; Str 12, Dex 11, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 9, Cha 10.
Skills and Feats: Appraise +7, Bluff +2, Craft (engraving) +10, Craft (weaponsmithing) +12, Diplomacy +5, Forgery +7, Gather Information +5, Listen +6, Read Lips +9, Sense Motive +6, Speak Language (x2); Endurance, Skill Focus (craft: weaponsmithing).
Languages: Common, dwarven, elven, giant, goblin.
Equipment: Artisan’s outfit, belt pouch (21gp, 13sp), engraver’s tools, magnifying glass, masterwork short sword, masterwork weaponsmith’s tools merchant’s scale, ring of mind shielding.

Brandon Delswan was born and raised in Mor’s End. A middle-aged man with blonde hair and cold blue eyes, Brandon is not known for his pleasant demeanor or sparkling personality. Born a lowly street waif, to parents he’d rather forget, Brandon was sold into his current life. Laedar Delswan, who owned the Endearing Edge at the time, needed an apprentice and Brandon’s father needed his next alcoholic fix. Thus, Brandon came to work for the old weaponsmith.

Laedar had been a good teacher and treated the young boy well. Brandon didn’t care. He used the old man to learn all his secrets while pretending to love Laedar back like a son would a father. Soon Laedar grew to old to work and passed down his shop to his adopted son. Believing that Brandon would take care of him in his old age, he didn’t realize the treachery in the young man’s heart until it was too late. Brandon snapped just as Laedar finished the process that would give ownership of the Endearing Edge over to the young man. He killed Laedar, in a moment of greed and senility, putting a knife through the old man’s back before the ink had even dried on the transfer of ownership parchment.

When Brandon came out of his emotional stupor he was unsure of what to do with the body. The man sat for nearly a day considering ever option his mind could conceive of, trying to calculate the best course of action to hide his crime. Finally he made contact with several prominent members of the city’s thieves’ guild striking a bargain beneficial to both sides. He would provide specially designed weapons, as well as his services to the guild as an appraiser for next to nothing and they would dispose of the body, frame the murder on someone else and protect Brandon’s shop in the future for a minimum charge.

Now Brandon is one of the guilds most trusted contacts in the city, as he owes them a lot. Of course, Brandon doesn’t concern himself with the legalities of what he did and enjoys working the guild. He often sells weapons to nobles in the city, informs the guild of who bought them and receives a nice back fee for tipping off the guild. He’s also sold flawed weapons to those city guards willing to pay his prices, knowing that if they go up against the thieves’ guild they will be sorely outmatched.

All this has lead to a standing agreement between Brandon and the thieves’ guild that the Endearing Edge is not to be touched. Many foreign rogues that inadvertently break this rule have ended up dead in the river or worse. The guild even provided Brandon with his magical ring, as to protect their investment from being detected by the city’s officials. In return, Brandon created a special bane weapon for the guildmaster as a token of his appreciation.

Note that Brandon is somewhat of a linguist as well.

Plot hook: Brandon plans on allowing the thieves’ guild to setup a forgery shop under the Endearing Edge but needs a way to expand his basement without drawing the attention of the city’s officials. He hopes to hire some unwitting adventures, through a third party, to break into his shop and steal several crates and other miscellaneous items that he no longer needs down there (worthless). Of course, the adventurers would then have to be eliminated to prevent other unscrupulous members of the city’s population, not associated with the thieves’ guild, from thinking that the Endearing Edge is no longer off-limits.

Plot hook: Someone has learned part of the truth behind Brandon murdering his former master, possibly the adventurers or one of their allies in the city. Brandon will do anything to prevent these people from discovering the entire truth and telling the local authorities. He contacts his allies in the thieves’ guild and asks them to take care of it. The guild sends several assassins, possibly even hiring magical assassins to take the PCs or their ally out. Fun and chaos then ensues. :)

Last edited:

David Argall

First Post
Enduring edge points

He really should be a dwarf. Dwarves are the classic weaponsmiths and we have an oversupply of dwarfs.

The point of selling inferior weapons to the guards should be a rare event, or just not happening. The guards way outnumber the guild [or the guild would be the government] and so selling them inferior stuff means they will find out and be back to object. Maybe once or so he can get away with it, but pretty soon the guards will notice that his "fine" weapons are foul.

The killing of the master and then not knowing what to do with the body is distinctly dubious. Now we might say his plans went bad. Maybe he tried to smother the old man in his sleep in the hope of making it look natural, but the guy woke and started to yell, so he was left with a bloody body he couldn't explain. Alternately, he was in contact with the thieves much earlier and they were there to dispose of the body that same night. But that he killed the man and only then started to think about what to do with an obvious murder victim doesn't cut it.

shivamuffin

First Post
Das Wagon:

A private company owned by the Baron Ludwig Brenner. A century ago, the Baron proposed a solution to the problem of transit throughout the lands. To continue the expansion and prosperity of Mor's End, roads were required. Good roads that would need little maintenance. Baron Brenner and some of the city's finest dwarven and human engineers set out to work on a regional road network.
Realizing that there was going to be little support for his request to actually be the owner of the roads ( even though 50% of the funding was from his own treasury ), The Baron created a coach and freight service called Das Wagon. With a few bribes and a lot of political favors, Baron Ludwig Brenner created the city's official overland coach and freight service. Das wagon is the official transporter of mail, freight, and personnel. Das wagon does not pay road tolls, nor is it obligated to pay local taxes on property it owns. Tariffs on imported goods still apply however.
Das wagon is a ruthless competitor, and seeks to dominate the overland coach and freight business 100%, at present it controls about 60%.

Das Wagon services and fees:

passengers 5 silver marcs per person, per day of travel
( priests ride for free )

freight fees are 1 silver marc per pound/per day of travel

secure service ( two armed guards and 50% reimbursement insurance ) is x 4 cost

Das wagon maintains several coach houses. Each coach house has an inn, a tavern, a stable, usually a brothel, and 12-24 misc. employees ( bartenders, valets, stable hands, etc...) For secure rate passengers, use of the inn and tavern is free of charge. Non secure passengers must pay for use of the inn and anything ordered in the tavern.

Remove ads