Mor's End Craft & Trade Submissions

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Re: A few things

David Argall said:
The DownPour Alehouse should be further from the posh area if we are to have such a varied set of patrons.

The reason why The Downpour is where it is, is because the owners decided they didn't care if the more uppity nobles that frequent the posh district don't come to The Downpour.

Also, if The Downpour was located further away from that district then the the tavern would likely not have any nobility visiting it at all. Remember it's been running for over 70 years and that the posh district may have been a smaller community back then when the tavern first opened.

In fact, as the Posh District has grown, less and less of the city's citizens from the other side of the river come to The Downpour. Old Willie and Dalvar would move the tavern somewhere else except that they've invested so much in the current location, as well as it being their home. However, they refuse to change their standing rule of letting anyone come to The Downpour, which tends to ruffle the feathers of the diehard nobility even more.

And there is a difference between saying that The Downpour is open to anyone who behaves themself and being open to say someone with no concept of hygiene. Not smelling like a sewer or garbage heap is considered 'good behavior' by the owners.

It doesn't matter what you wear, within reason, as long as it's clean and so are you. :)

I guess I could have defined that better but it was already so long.

Cheers!

KF72

Last edited:

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
Conaill said:
I think we should just post *all* the numbers in one place, including the ones we're not certain about yet (we can always mark those with an asterisk). It's useful to have some reference for the "average" city of this size.

Point taken Conaill. I've got a very full plate today and tomorrow, but I hope to be able to give the first post in this thread a thorough edit on Sunday. I'll also be saving all the submissions to a Word file so I can get them organized.

And I hope no one will be offended, but I may ask a moderator to prune some of the hijack posts out of this thread, because I don't want it to get bloated with off-topic stuff. Let's do further discussion of the sheep vs cows issue in anther thread, pretty please?

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
Darklight, your toy shop is excellent. The violence is part of the NPC's background, and I think it's appropriate, since it explains his motivations. I say it stays. I also like the spell.

Knightfall, wow! You have really come up with a cool tavern!

Excellent work, both of you.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Buttercup said:
Knightfall, wow! You have really come up with a cool tavern!

Thanks Buttercup.

I have only begun to submit! ;)

Upcoming submissions: A weaponsmith, the cult of pain, and a magical paddlewheel riverboat.

Conaill

First Post
Re: My first submission!

Knightfall1972 said:
The Children
Bette Enderton (CG ½f Com4)
Renfew Enderton (LN ½m Exp3/War3)
Hanna Enderton (NG ½f Com2/Exp2)
Halgan Hammersmith (LG dm Ftr1)
Shalgar Hammersmith (LN dm Rgr1)
Willie Enderton Jr. (N ½m Com1/Adp2)

Willie Enderton, male halfling Com2/Exp10:
Dalvar Hammersmith, male dwarf War10:
Maggie (NG ½f Com5/Exp6), Willie’s wife
Mildie (LG df Com7/Exp7), Dalvar’s wife
Raven Moonhome, female half-elf Brd4/Rog3
Andie “Twice-Bitten” Hande, CG ½m Exp3/Rog2

Yikes Knightfall! Are you trying to corner the market on high-level NPCs? :eek: That's a 14th level, a 12th level, an 11th level, a 10th level and a 7th level, all in the same house. Not to mention the "children" who are quite formidable as well.

Willie, Maggie and Mildie could very well be the three highest level Experts in all of Mor's End! Likewise, Dalvar would be one of the two highest Warriors in town. Any chance of knocking off a few levels from all your NPCs?

Here's the class demographics guidelines from the DMG (see also the NPC thread):

Warrior:
1x12th level, 1x9, 2x6, 2x5, 4x3, 12x2, 24x1 + 350 War1

Expert:
1x15, 1x12, 2x8, 2x6, 4x4, 4x3, 16x2, 32x1 + 210 Exp1

It's not clear how multiclassed individuals should be handled, but I would suggest classifying them according to their highest class. So Willie would count as an Exp12, Maggie an Exp11, and Mildie an Exp14 or Com14.

Conaill

First Post
I'd like to start filling in some of the Guilds, and would like your opinions...

Which of these five Guilds do you think should be the most powerful, have the highest membership, and the highest level Expert for a leader:

- Glazers Guild
- Glittering Brotherhood
- Merchants Guild
- Potters Guild
- Silkers Circle

On a related note: do we even need a separate Glazers and Potters Guild? That's kinda like having a separate gemcutters and jewelers guild. Sure they're different trades, but the two seem so integrated they would probably form a single powerbloc...

Please drop by the Guilds and Organizations thread to vote!

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Re: Re: My first submission!

Conaill said:
Yikes Knightfall! Are you trying to corner the market on high-level NPCs? :eek: That's a 14th level, a 12th level, an 11th level, a 10th level and a 7th level, all in the same house. Not to mention the "children" who are quite formidable as well.

Willie, Maggie and Mildie could very well be the three highest level Experts in all of Mor's End! Likewise, Dalvar would be one of the two highest Warriors in town. Any chance of knocking off a few levels from all your NPCs?

I'm not comfortable with knocking down the levels of the three main NPCs I've stated out but I can easily reduce both Maggie and Mildie. After all, they are the stay at home NPCs of the families. I'll also reduce the children down considerably.

Old Willie and Dalvar have been around a LONG time and often have spent time going back and forth to their old homes to visit with relatives and dealing with situations, in the past, that came up in the tavern.

Dalvar is one of the most active members of the militia, as he goes looking for new experiences (trouble), while others tend to stay at home and guard the hearth. I could also rework his background a little and he could become the local Captain of the Militia.

Another thought, Old Willie is close to retirement and by the time the PCs have just gotten use to seeing him and Maggie around, they retire to Lalaton and pass their half of the stake in the tavern down to Hanna and Andie (once thay finally get married).

Unfortunately for Old Willie, the Castellan and Lady Kelvin don't want him to retire. They, as well as other nobles and merchant lords in the city, value old Willie's vast knowledge about current events, as well as more obscure bits that only he knows, too much to let him retire. They constantly tell him, "Stay one more year Willie, then you can retire. One more year."

And besides, we shouldn't straight-jacket good ideas based too much on demographics. After all, this is an independant city-state with a frontier-like feel. Higher level NPCs than normal shouldn't be too much of a problem, if restraint is used.

Cheers!

KF72

Last edited:

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
Knightfall, if and when you do edit your post, could you please draw my attention to it? I've cut and pasted all of the pertinent posts in this thread into a Word document, and I'd like to keep it accurate.

Lalato, I think you mentioned in a post upthread that you had more info to come, so could you also point it out when you do?

Gracias!

Lalato

Adventurer
Buttercup... my post has been updated with the promised stat block. I also changed the NPCs name... and added a tie-in to the Thieves Guild.

--sam

Remove ads