The Origin of the Gnoll (again)

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Something that's been bothering me: all these other sources that use gnolls. There's a Mage Knight gnoll figure, there's miniatures, gnolls are in practically every video game... now I seriously doubt all those people are going to pay royalties to DnD. I mean, how hard is it to create a doggish humanoid and just give it a differnet name? All of which implies to me that there has to be some folkloric, or similarly public domain, derivation of the term and creature. Danged if I can figure what it is, though.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
I faintly remember it having something to do with
celtic folklore, but can't find the reference anymore.

Skade

Explorer
No reference to hyenas in African myths? Were hyenas able to mimic voices, and maybe take shapes? Were there half hyena figures? I have no clue, simply conjecture. ;)

mistergone

First Post
Not so interesting piece of trivia that had no bearing on anyone's life... I don't have gnolls in my campaign world. I figured, a long time ago, that since Dragonlance didn't have orcs, I would cut out gnolls. That's pretty much my sole reasoning. Net effect on my game world? None. Importance? None. Just thought I'd share.

Gez

First Post
hellbender said:
Some say, Lord Dunsany, as there are muderous creatures called 'gnoles' in the following

While we're on useless trivia, "gnole" is French slang for cheap, low-quality, wine.

But usually, excessive consumption of gnole makes you see pink winged elephants, not hyenae-men.

diaglo

Adventurer
jester47 said:
Ah yes I remember now someone said it was a short passing reference in Lord Dunsany's works.

Aaron.

and you will find the works of several authors referenced in the 1ed books. Lord Dunsany being one of them.

well not really referenced. but suggested reading. ;)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Okay!

Here's the story:

I made up "gnoll" thinking of it as a cross between a gnome and a troll, and I think the name first appeared in a really bad novel I was writing, The Gnome Cache, part of which was serialized in DRAGON Magazine way back when.

I wanted to expand the humanoids list to match PC levels, so I altered the gnoll to fit into that list after hobgoblin and before bugbear.

The name is not drawn from any mythology, folklore, or authored work of fiction--although Dunsany's "gnole" is close. The description and stats are unique. IMO WotC could indeed claim it as unique to them.

Cheers,
Gary

Remove ads