D&D 5E [D&D 5E] Tattered Memories: An Adventure in Tethyr (COMPLETE)

[section]Brue pocketed the scroll and tube containing the message from Agent V to Q regarding the agent of the Queen. Having recalled a blurred memory of being handed an intricately carved oak staff, Brue wondered privately if she were the Queen's agent mentioned in the writing. She shook her head no; that path led to a fat head and much trouble, she was sure. Still, she kept the scroll just in case.

Brue held out the ring for Greycastle to inspect. "It's magic, can you feel it? Though I don't know what kind of magic." Once the Lawkeeper made his inspection, Brue put the ring in her pocket for safekeeping. She didn't put it on. If Vials wore it, it might be dangerous. The genasi pointed to the death dog. "I think we should haul the carcasses out of here and burn them in the pit. Vials's too. Seems a fitting end." If Greycastle made no objection, Brue first hauled out the dog, then Vials, and unceremoniously deposited both at the edge of the fire pit. She didn't, however, dump them in just yet.

"We owe folks some answers, Sir Greycastle. Best head to tavern to quell the crowd. I don't know that you want me there for that. I make folks uneasy. I could stay here and guard these bodies until you return, if you like. Folks may want proof that Vials met his own end, and, well, his body should do that well enough for any who are macabre enough to want a look." [/section]

Forged Fury

First Post
"Leave the bodies here for now," Greycastle said in the basement. "I'll get some of the other lawkeepers to guard the door. I'd rather not have people stumbling across a large, dead, two-headed dog in our current situation." The paladin shoved Vials' research notes into a leather folder and tucked it under one arm. "Shall we be off?"

Exiting the building, Greycastle withdrew a signal whistle and blew it three times. The shrill noise grated at the ears, but sure enough a lawkeeper appeared from south along the Trade Way in only a minute. A curious glance appraised the stains and wear on the pairs clothing and equipment from the fight, but the young man said nothing. "Trevor," Greycastle said, "guard this door with your life. Don't let anyone inside, on my orders." Nodding in understanding, the lad took position at the door, spear at the ready. "Now let's go see if Cooper has managed to gain audience with Captain Holt."

Greycastle and Brue made their way south along the Trade Way, the paladin greeting the townsfolk with a nod. They nodded back, although were more reserved when it came to Brue. She only got a few dirty looks. When they reached the South Gate, they found Cooper standing just shy of the red flag while Holt was at the gate. Hearing their approach, the Coinmaster turned and said, "Horrible news! The soldiers from Kirgard found Preston's body to the south and his cart abandoned to the north!"

Greycastle nodded, "I expected as much." Tossing the leather folder several feet past the red flags, the paladin addressed Holt. "It was sabotage, Captain. It's all in the files."

"What's this about, Sir Greycastle?" Holt asked, bewildered.

Looking to Brue, Greycastle said, "Go ahead, tell him. You're the one who figured it out."

[section]Brue launched into her tale. She hoped this was the last time she'd need to tell it. The last two days had been wearying. "It was the apothecary. Turns out he was an agent working against the Queen. Sir Greycastle has the right of it, it's all there in the letters. Although, there's this as well." Brue extracted the letter from the bone scroll case, the letter addressed to "Agent V" signed by "Q." She dropped it beyond the red flag, where Captain Holt could get it. "The letters confirm what you saw with your own eyes and what I worked out earlier this morning, which is that the town apothecary killed Reginald--the ale delivery man--and stuck a poisoned piece of waterkeep inside one of the tavern's regular shipment of beer." Brue flung down her piece of waterkeep so that Holt could see it. "I pried apart the keg, you see. The taste was off. Acrid, like. Found a false bottom where this poisoned bit of waterkeep had been inserted. Folks who drank the ale from that keg got sick. And died."

Brue paused and looked over at Greycastle. "I went to the Lawkeeper and told him I couldn't be sure if it were just the ale or the town's water supply, too. So he sent me down the well into the reservoir to have a look. That's where a pair of troglogytes set upon me. They'd buried two bales of rancid poisoned hay inside metal cages. Submerged both of the bales into the reservoir. I didn't know what the poison was, but the smell and taste was just as bitter and acrid as what I found inside the barrel containing the waterkeep. I lit most of the two bales on fire, then took a couple handfuls of the poison hay up top to the Lawkeeper so he could see. I'd found a funny bone scroll down with the trogs, too, and it had a scroll inside written in some queer language. The Coinmaster here," Brue gestured at Tolliver "made it out though, handy bit of spellwork, that. It was a letter Vials--that's the apothecary--had written to the trogs. That's when we knew. Vials had been behind it all. Greycastle and I went straight to Vials's cottage, intent on justice. We found him all right, down in his basement. Had some kind of nasty two-headed dog with him." Brue looked uncertain here, but continued. "What'd you call it, Sir? A death dog? Well, no matter. The Lawkeeper and I took a bit of beating--Vials turned out to be a sorcerer--but we killed his pet dog. He drank poison right as we got to him, though. His body and that of the death dog are down in the cottage basement. We found these letters here," Brue pointed at the packet of writings Greycastle deposited in the dirt, "on a work table in his basement. Turns out the waterkeep inside the beer barrel at the tavern, and the two bales of hay in the reservoir had been coated with death dog saliva, and that's what's been killing folk."

The genasi had the temerity to look abashed. "Also turns out Vials wanted them Fairy Cap mushrooms so he could make the poison something folks could catch by inhaling. Good thing you wouldn't let me out of bounds to go looking for them mushrooms, Captain. You made the right call there. Wish I'd seen Vials for what he truly was; a sneak thief and a murderer."[/section]

Forged Fury

First Post
Captain Holt stood silently for a moment before pulling on a pair of gloves and picking up the folder and letter. Gesturing for one of his soldiers, he said, "Take these documents to Fediver for his review. Tell him I expect a full report within the hour... and for Torm's sake, tell him to protect himself when he handles them."

Addressing the three representatives of Mosstone, Holt continued, "If what you say is true, the Kingdom owes you a debt of gratitude. With that said, I'll need some time to review the documents. Trust, but verify, I'm sure you understand. The quarantine will have to remain in effect until all signs of the disease are gone. But I am not heartless, we will quadruple the water rationing and, if the documents verify what you've said, will assign a detachment of medics to set up camp here at the southern gate to treat those still affected by the disease. They may not be able to cure them, but can hopefully make their passing painless."

Turning to exit the town, Holt paused and said, "We've also received word that one of the Queen's representatives is on his way and should arrive tomorrow. He'll be taking over direct control of the quarantine. I'm sure he'll be interested in speaking with all of you."

OOC: Unless you have any RPing you want to do, I can fast-forward to the next morning. Just let me know.

Forged Fury

First Post
The remainder of the day went by with little incident. Greycastle held a town meeting in the central square and explained what had been uncovered. More than a few curses were said in Vials memory. Captain Holt made good on his word and a small detachment of medically-trained soldiers set up camp at the southern gate, doing their best to ease the suffering of those afflicted. That night, the Mossy Nymph was somewhat lively; the people of Mosstone grateful for the actions of Brue and the lawkeepers finally having warmed up to the genasi. A few toasts were even said in her name.

Late in the evening, the bodies of Vials and the death dog were added to the funeral pyre, a pyre much smaller than the previous night due to a shortage of humanoid kindling.

Satisfied with her success, Brue eventually returned to Commerce House to rest. Brue mentioned the ring she had recovered from Vials to the Coinmaster, who volunteered to identify the item for her. After about a minute, Cooper said, "Fascinating... the ring was crafted by a dwarven wizard named Dolzer several hundred years ago. When worn and attuned to, it provides some protection to the bearer against venom and poisons. Quite useful."

GM: Ring of Poison Resistance, requires attunement. Provides resistance to poison damage.

Brue had a fitful sleep and, while she felt somewhat recovered when she awoke, she also felt very sick. All of that drinking of poisoned water must have caught up with her.

GM: Brue has contracted the Mosstone Plague. Her max HPs have been reduced by 5.

At the first sight of her, the Coinmaster bade her to lie back down and fetched Greycastle. The paladin called on Helm's power and cleansed the disease from the genasi's body. "Cooper and I had to keep my ability to cleanse the disease secret. It's limited, so I cured those who were most needed by Mosstone. But if it was general knowledge, I fear it would have started a riot."

GM: Brue is now cured of the Mosstone Plague

Shortly thereafter, one of the medics from the southern encampment arrived and indicated that Captain Holt wanted to speak with them. Arriving at the gate, the small party spotted Captain Holt and a brunette female halfling wearing dark-colored clothing and mounted on a pony. "May I present the Queen's emissary, Lady Rowen Tosscobble."

Examining the documents Brue and Greycastle had recovered from Vials, the halfling said without looking up, "Please accept the Queen's thanks for your efforts in securing peace in the kingdom." Looking up she continued, "Right now, a plague is the last thing we-"

Rowen's eyes went wide when she noticed Brue. "Brunhilde?!? Brue, what are you doing here?"

FIN

Forged Fury

First Post
OOC: I need to plan out the next adventure a little first.

If you would like, you are welcome to rebuild Brue to your specifications. She was definitely built for a solo adventure. If you want to muck around with her and do something different, I am totally okay with it.

Also, with successfully completing the adventure, you have reached Level 4. Think about what you want to do and once I get a recruitment thread up, we can work it out over there.

OOC: Sounds good. Will do re: level 4. I will develop a general idea of what I want Brue to look like in terms of stats/abilities and will let you know via PM what I'm thinking. I don't imagine she'll be too far off the mark of what she presently is. What I'd like to do is not nail her down entirely, however. If I may, I'd like to leave things a little open-ended so that I can dovetail her to better complement whatever party you end up recruiting.

Thanks again for running this, and for being willing to go whole-hog with a regular-sized party.

Remove ads