D&D 5E [D&D 5E] Tattered Memories: An Adventure in Tethyr (COMPLETE)

Forged Fury

First Post
Tattered Memories: An Adventure in Tethyr

latest

Thunder boomed in her ears, startling the woman awake from a dreamless slumber with a shout. Looking around, the small stone room in which she found herself was barely illuminated by weak light filtering in through a small window. Aside from the bed on which she was sleeping, the only other object in the room was a well-crafted wooden chair occupying one corner. The wooden door to the room was closed.

Rubbing her forehead, she felt groggy with a lingering headache, her muscles sore and aching. Inspecting herself, her muscular body was crisscrossed with old scars, alternately complementing and conflicting with the patchwork of grey, black, and brown tones which patterned her flesh.

OOC: This is a solo 5th Edition Adventure set in the nation of Tethyr during DR 1378. The PC will start with no memory of who they are or the events leading up to the start the adventure. The PC position is FILLED. Lurkers are welcome. We will be using one unified IC/OOC thread and no Rogue's Gallery.

Last edited:

Forged Fury

First Post
BASICS
Name: Brunhilde "Brue" Stonedottir
Race: Earth Genasi
Class: Fighter 2/Cleric 1 (Life)
Background: Acolyte
Hit Points: 37/37
AC: 14
Initiative: -1
Passive Perception: 13

ATTRIBUTES
STR 16 (+3)
DEX 08 (-1)
CON 16 (+3)
INT 12 (+1)
WIS 13 (+1)
CHA 10 (+0)

PROFICIENCY
Proficiency Bonus: +2
Armor: All Armor & Shields
Weapons: Simple & Martial Weapons
Tools: None
Languages: Common, Elvish, Goblin, & Primordial (Terran)
Saving Throws: Strength & Constitution
Skills: Athletics, Insight, Perception, & Religion

RACE
Size: Medium
Speed: 30'
Earth Walk: You cross earth and stone based difficult terrain without expending extra movement.
Merge With Stone: Cast Pass Without Trace using CON as spellcasting ability. Recharges after long rest.

CLASS
Great Weapon Fighting Style: When using a 2HW, reroll 1s/2s on damage dice and keep the new result.
Second Wind: Use a bonus action to recover 1d10+Fighter Level HP. Recharges after short or long rest.
Action Surge: Take an additional action during your turn. Recharges after short or long rest.
Disciple of Life: Add an additional (2+Spell Level) HPs to healing spells of 1st level or greater.

SPELLCASTING
Spell Attack Modifier: +3
Spell Save DC: 11
Spell Slots: 2/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-
Cantrips Known: Guidance, Light, & Spare the Dying
Spells Prepared: Bless & Cure Wounds (+2 Vacant Slots)

EQUIPMENT (39/240 Carry Weight)
Greatsword
Truncheon
Ring Mail
Ring of Poison Resistance
Traveler's Clothes
Pouch
- Five Cut Sapphires (100GP)
Lawkeeper Badge of Office
Cloak
Bandanna
Torch (3)
Backpack

Last edited:

OOC: Gorgeous introduction, really, really well done. Crisp, clean, concise.

[section]The woman started when thunder cracked a second time at volume, and sat up in the bed, in a cold sweat of fear. Where am I? She puffed out a huff of air, and eyed the closed wooden door. Locked in? Or no? Ignoring the door for a moment, she swung her legs over the edge of the spartan bunk and stood up, scrubbed at her eyes with thick fingers. And stared. At her hands. They were cracked. She touched the fingers of her right hand to her forearm, felt the ridges of scars mapping her skin. My skin's cracked. How --? She touched her face, and cringed. Panic started to set in. She swiftly crossed the room and grabbed the chair, hoping to hell it wasn't bolted to the floor, hoping to drag it to the window and look out into the weak light of day.[/section]

Last edited:

Forged Fury

First Post
Dragging the chair to the small window, the woman was able to see that she was in a small walled town. Of more pressing concern, a thunderstorm was forming overhead.

Thunderstorm.jpg

The door to the small room opened silently, a testament to the quality of its manufacture. A young human man entered the room holding a lantern and wearing expensive looking robes. As he noticed the woman's condition, he gave her a slight smile and said, “Waukeen’s Blessing! I see you’re awake. I thought I heard something in here. Please, please, take a seat on the bed. Give me one second while I close the window, there’s a terrible storm upon us.”

db6c5f96c7d777fe79f972afe1d5236f.jpg

Credit: Sora by *omupied on deviantART

Moving to the window, the young man hung the lantern on a post next to the window and drew the shutters, securing them tightly. Walking over to the chair, the human sat down and addressed the mysterious woman.

“Welcome to Commerce House, a temple dedicated to Waukeen in Mosstone. I’m Coinmaster Tolliver Cooper, head cleric of this temple. How are you feeling and, more importantly, who are you?”

GM: Roll 1d20

Last edited:

[section]The smell of the brewing storm through the open window calmed her panic a hair. She leaned out and looked down, calculating whether she could jump or climb her way to freedom. Just then, the wooden door opened. Silently. The change in air pressure made her skin prickle; she looked up from the window and nearly jumped out of her skin when the young man entered. Scrabbling away from the window, she grabbed the lantern, and held it in front of herself. Between herself and the room's newest occupant. "Get out," she hissed.

When the young man ignored her and was at ease enough to impertinently plunk himself down on the chair, however, she lowered the lantern. Just a fraction of an inch. His question stymied her. She opened her mouth to answer. And realized she didn't know. She frowned. She didn't know her name. The bile of uncertainty rose in her throat. She glowered at the man. The whole world was off-kilter.

She chose, instead, to challenge him. "Why am I here? Why are you holding me?"[/section]
[roll0]

Last edited:

OOC: I changed her character portrait, but want to retain the description of her skin color (black, grey, bronze mottled camo) and texture (scarred and cracked).

Last edited:

Forged Fury

First Post
The word "Waukeen" triggered a flood of memories in the woman's mind. Waukeen? Of course, the Merchant's Friend!

[sblock=Knowledge of Waukeen]Waukeen is a lesser deity known as the Merchant's Friend, Liberty's Maiden, and the Golden Lady. Her portfolio includes everything related to commerce and the accumulation of wealth through free and fair trade, as well as the beneficial use of wealth to improve civilization. Those that venerate and appease her include merchants from lowly peddlers to the wealthy owners of trading companies, investors, accountants, entrepreneurs, caravan guides, warehouse owners, philanthropists, deal-makers, moneylenders, and so on. Waukeen is also the goddess of illicit trade and the patron of many smugglers, fences, black marketeers, and "businessmen" on the shady side of commerce. Collectively, her worshipers are known as Waukeenar.

Waukeen recently returned to power after being imprisoned by an Abyssal Lord for nearly a dozen years and her Church is still recovering.[/sblock]

Coinmaster Cooper remained calm, clearly sympathetic to the woman's plight. He brushed stray blond hair out of his eyes before speaking, "Stand or sit, whichever is your preference. You aren't being held here so much as being treated. You've been recovering here after Greycastle brought you in two nights ago. Considering the wounds you had when you came in, I was a bit surprised that you survived, but your resilience and the blessings of Waukeen carried you through the ordeal. Someone clearly wanted you dead. As best as Greycastle could tell, he figured bandits, as you had been stripped of your belongings. Did you catch sight of your assailants? If bandits, the cowards likely attacked from hiding. Bastards, that lot, interrupting trade the way they do."

GM: Character Sheet Update: You are proficient in Common & Religion

Last edited:

[section]After a beat, she blew out a breath and hung the lantern back on the wall beside the window. She took a step or two and stood beside the bed, across from Coinmaster Cooper with the bed separating them. She scrutinized the cleric, searching for signs of ill intent and withholding.

After giving an internal shrug, she said, "I didn't see my assailants, no. If you hadn't told me I was set upon, I wouldn't have known it. These scars are old," she extended her right forearm in emphasis, showing the Coinmaster her skin, "and I don't seem to have any fresh ones. At least not that I can see." This was maybe more words that she would otherwise have felt comfortable speaking, but she continued talking and used the opportunity to scan the priest for signs of dishonesty. "As to who I am, I don't know. I can't seem to remember." She stood still, watching the priest carefully for his reaction.[/section]
OOC: Wisdom (Insight) to discern Coinmaster Cooper's intent, motive, and whether he speaks truth.

[roll0]

Forged Fury

First Post
The woman paid sharp attention to the Coinmaster as he spoke, with an emphasis on his words, tone, and mannerisms. As far as she could tell, he was speaking the truth and showed true concern for her well being. While the priests of Waukeen were not exactly known for their compassion, their services always came with a cost in the spirit of commerce, they were certainly interested in possible interruptions in trade.

With a frown of concern creasing his face, the Coinmaster said, "You've lost your memory? That's awful... and what a terrible time for it." Shaking his head, the man continued, "I didn't get the full story from Greycastle, but I know that he found you somewhere just south of Mosstone on his return from Kirgard... blessed lot of good that journey did. So you have no name and no history? Well, you must have a name of some sort, even if only temporary. What should I call you?"

OOC: Just a note, I have a few behind the scenes rules related to discovering your capabilities. So there's a possibility that you are proficient in Insight but just aren't quite sure yet.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases