D&D 5E [D&D 5E] Tattered Memories: An Adventure in Tethyr (COMPLETE)

[section]She cast her eyes over to the window and thought. Outside, the brewing storm whipped tree tops; the wind had picked up. The tempest eddied, brewing unrest. "Brue. You can call me Brue." She returned her gaze to the priest. The name felt foreign. She shuddered.

Deciding to trust the Coinmaster, at least for now, Brue continued. "I want to talk to this Greycastle. And what do you mean, 'what a terrible time for it'? What's so special about now?" She remained standing, uncomfortable.[/section]

Forged Fury

First Post
"Brue? I guess any name is better than nothing," Coinmaster Cooper said with a slight sign of distaste.

"Well Brue, I assumed you would want to speak with Randal at some point. That's Randal Greycastle, retired paladin and knight of the Champions Vigilant, one of Helm's martial orders."

GM: Roll 1d20 for information on Helm (and possibly the Champions Vigilant)

Rising from the chair, the Coinmaster continued, "Tracking him down shouldn't be a problem. Unlike most of the townsfolk, Greycastle doesn't spend any time at the tavern. Teetotaler that one... so he should be at his house. I can give you the directions." Pausing, the cleric looked the woman over, "But before I let you leave, we've got to do something about your clothing."

For the first time, Brue gave a thought to what she was wearing: a torn and stained arming coat and a pair of breeches. "That's not going to cut it. Unfortunately, the only clothing I have in your size are priest's vestments, so unless you happen to be a Waukeenar in disguise, that heresy simply won't do." Cooper chuckled as if he had said something funny.

Leading Brue out of her room and into Commerce House proper, the Coinmaster made a beeline toward a door at the end of the hallway. Rolling thunder boomed in the background. "Back when we had more adherents, Commerce House employed several guards. We may have a suit of armor that might fit you."

The door opened on a closet. Resting on a shelf was a breastplate of well-crafted, boiled leather armor. The armor was made for a man, but one somewhat larger than Brue, so she was able to fit into it, just to the left of uncomfortable. "That should do until you find something more suitable. Oh! Take this cloak too, it should help keep the rain from soaking you too badly." The priest fished a dark grey cloak from off a peg at the back of the closet and handed it to Brue.

Pausing for a second, the Coimaster drew in a breath and continued, "You probably think I forgot your other question, but I haven't. Now, you have to understand that Greycastle's intentions were good. His sole reason for bringing you back here was to save your life. He had no way to know that the captain of Kirgard was going to send a company of soldiers a half's day ride behind him to establish a quarantine of Mosstone. But that's what we're facing right now... even if you wanted to leave, you couldn't. At least not until the disease runs its course."

Last edited:

[section]Brue nodded at everything Coinmaster Cooper said. "You've been very kind, thank you." She trailed after the priest, accepting with gratitude his offer of clothing, boiled leather breastplate, a cloak, and instructions to Greycastle's home. "My thanks. I can serve when and where and how. You've only to name your need. If I can help I will."

When it was clear Father Cooper intended to take his leave of her, Brue laid a hand on him and spoke. "I am in your debt. You may call upon me in the future for aid, if ever you are in need." For all her earlier doubt, she seemed to intend her oath.

Cooper's last words sunk in. Brue shook off a moment's reverie and asked, "What disease?" [/section]

Last edited:

Forged Fury

First Post
[sblock=Knowledge of Helm]Helm, also known as the Vigilant One and The Watcher, is the god of guardians, protection and protectors. He is worshiped by guards and paladins both, long being seen as a cold and focused deity who impartially takes the role of defender and sometimes also enforcer. Recently, the folk of Faerûn have lost appreciation for the deity due to his role in the recent chaos when the gods walked the Realms.

You know nothing of the Champions Vigilant[/sblock]

Answering Brue's question directly, Cooper said, "That is the question, isn't it? To put it simply, we don't know. At our best guess, it started about a week ago. A few townsfolk took ill, but we all wrote it off as spoiled food. Two days later, they were dead and dozens more were sick. Now, the ill number in the hundreds. Normally, the Archdruid and her circle tend to disease and illness in Mosstone, but they left two weeks ago for the annual renewal of the Wealdath and we have no way to reach them. Greycastle and myself have done what we can, but our abilities are limited. That's why Randal went to Kirgard... to request assistance through official channels from the Queen-Monarch."

Sighing deeply, the Coinmaster continued, "So now we're trapped within the walls of the city with little hope. Our apothecary is working diligently to find a cure, but I fear he isn't making any headway."

Walking the woman to the entrance of the temple, the Coinmaster concluded, "You may want to wear the hood of your cloak up... and not solely due to the weather. Disease breeds not only sickness, but suspicion as well. The unfamiliar suffering the brunt of that ill-will." Looking the woman over, Cooper concludes, "It's bad enough that you're a stranger, but also one who cannot provide any answers to their identity. On top of that, I doubt many in this village have ever seen anyone who looks quite like you, I certainly haven't. So please, be careful. Also, you owe Commerce House nothing, Brue; Greycastle balanced the ledger when he delivered you here. The room in which you awoke has been rented to you for the week, so you're welcome to return here to sleep."

GM: Character Sheet Update: You are now wearing Leather Armor

Last edited:

[section]So many questions, Brue thought. Where to start? Greycastle, probably. She colored when Coinmaster Cooper mentioned that Greycastle had settled her account at the temple for the week. He said a place to sleep. But what about something to eat? I'll figure it out. Later. Not hungry now. Brue inclined her head in respect at the Coinmaster, tugged straight her leather breastpiece, then threw up the hood of her cloak. Stray ends of dark hair threatened to spring free of the hem of the hood, but Brue brushed them away from her face. She made to exit the temple, but stopped. No clue where I'm going. Hell. Reluctantly, she choked down her pride and turned to the head priest. "Where do I find Greycastle's home?" [/section]

Forged Fury

First Post
OOC: I finally found a portrait for Coinmaster Cooper that I liked. I added it to the first post where he is mentioned.

Nodding in understanding, the Coinmaster said, "Fortunately, the town isn't so big that it is difficult to find places. Outside the temple is the Trade Way that runs through the town in a north-south manner. Turn right onto the Trade Way and you'll hit the center of town. There's a large well in the middle of the road, it's hard to miss. From there, turn right again onto the Main, the road that intersects the Trade Way at the center of town. Greycastle's house is the third one on the left; it's grey with a green door."

Opening the door, the Coinmaster glanced outside, wincing at the darkening clouds."Best hurry, the rain is still pretty light, but I wouldn't want to get caught out there when the skies really open up." Weaving a guick gesture, Cooper said, "May Waukeen's Golden Radiance shine on your profitable endeavors."

GM: In case it comes up, you are under the effects of a Guidance spell for the next minute. +1d4 to a single ability check you attempt.

Exiting the Commerce House, Brue found herself close to the center of town. Given the weather, very few people were on the wide dirt road that passed for the Trade Way in Mosstone. The muddy morass sucked at her boots as she trudged along, this was clearly not the first rain in the area. Arriving at the center of town, Brue literally found herself at a crossroad, the Trade Way being bisected by the Main local road of Mosstone. Light flickered from behind the closed shutters of a building with a sign identifying it as the Mossy Nymph. If she were a betting woman, Brue was fairly certain the building was the local tavern. Am I a betting woman? Hammered into the door of the tavern was a scroll with several seals applied to it in wax.

2463.jpg

Credit: Sandro Ghezzani @ www.3dtotal.com
OOC: In the interest of not railroading, I'm going to pause the narrative whenever something that might be interesting pops up. Just let me know what you're doing.

Last edited:

[section]"Right at the well, third house on the left, gray with green door. My thanks." Brue nodded once, then went out the door, closing it firmly against the gusting wind. What time is it? I can't tell--the storm's made the sky black. He said two days. I was out two days. So that makes today the ... ? Brue frowned. She didn't know the day, and not knowing was disconcerting.

Brue held the hood of her cloak closed with her left hand, and pressed on through the mud. She paused at the tavern. The scroll with its wax seals piqued her interest. She stood in the byway, undecided for a moment, then strode over to the door. I shan't go inside, but what's that scrap of a scroll say? Bet it's the quarantine order from...what'd goldie locks say her name was? The Queen-Monarch? Brue examined the scroll hammered into the tavern door. The seal interested her as much the text itself. [/section]

Forged Fury

First Post
Brue nodded as her suspicions were confirmed.

Royal Decree said:
On this First Day of Marpenoth, in the name of Her Royal Majesty, the Queen-Monarch Zaranda Star, the town of Mosstone is now closed to external commerce and travel due to an outbreak of unknown plague. The gates of the town have been sealed and the perimeter is under patrol by soldiers under the banner of Tethyr. Due to the unknown, but serious nature of the illness, anyone attempting to break this quarantine will be subject to consequences of a fatal nature. Do not lose faith, people of Mosstone, a dispatch has been sent to Daromir beseeching aid from the Queen-Monarch to deal with this calamity. Stay safe in your homes and know that the nation of Tethyr owes a debt for the sacrifice you are making. Food stores will be deposited daily at the southern gate of Mosstone to be retrieved by Tavern Mistress Janelle Barrow of the Mossy Nymph. No Others Will Be Allowed Leave!

Captain Theren Holt
Garrison Commander, Kirgard

The decree is signed with two wax seals, one showing a castle turret surmounted over a wave and the other a five-pointed star on top of a heater shield with a crack running diagonally.

[section]"Damn. They'll put to death any who try to leave? Harsh." Brue swore under her breath. There goes any thoughts I had of scaling the town wall. She turned from the door to the tavern and picked her way through the mud, turning right onto the Main. After a bit, she came to the home the Coinmaster described. Grey, with a green door. That has to be it. Brue stood on the Main, thinking. She eyed the door to the house, then plucked up her determination and strode across the byway to the home. She knocked hard three times.[/section]
OOC: I had to look up "heater shield." Learn something new every day.

Remove ads