D&D 5E [D&D 5E] Tattered Memories: An Adventure in Tethyr (COMPLETE)

Forged Fury

First Post
Candles flickered as Brue opened the door. The interior of the Commerce House was dim and the pews were empty. After a few moments, Coinmaster Cooper's head peaked out from one of the hallways. "Oh, hello again, Brue. Did you meet with the Lawkeeper?"

[section]"I did, Brue confirmed. "And there was a fist fight at the tavern. I helped Greycastle break up the fight." Brue shifted her weight to her other food, uncertain. Am I bragging? Ugh. No. It's just imparting information. She picked up where she left off. "Greycastle deputized me. He also gave me an introduction to Dorin Fellhammer, who agreed I could have a chain shirt from the armory. So I'd like to return this." She held out the boiled leather breastplate. And then retracted it, just a bit. "But I won't pick up my armor from Master Dorin until this evening. Could I borrow this a bit longer? I'll return it tonight."

Brue watched the blonde priest, and considered. He's bloody naffing hot, which I don't trust. But maybe he's got information I need. "Greycastle asked me to investigate the plague, how it got started. I thought I'd seek out the apothecary. Vials, I think his name is? And some of the surviving family members of the first few Mosstone inhabitants to get sick. Maybe you know who would be good to speak with?" Brue shifted her weight back to her other foot, then stood stock still, eyeing the Coinmaster. Her eyes drifted to his blonde hair. Then to his hands. Jah. I need to get out of here. And quick.[/section]

Forged Fury

First Post
The Coinmaster stroked his smooth chin and nodded sagely, a near comical act for one so young. "Of course, keep it as long as you need. I'm sure Blacksmith Fellhammer appreciated the quality materials. That's made from the finest Sembian leathers. I'm glad the armor helped protect you from harm."

Walking over to the altar, the Coinmaster began preparing the sacraments of Waukeen's faith. It appeared he had a service that would be starting some time this evening.

"Yes," the cleric said, turning his attention to Brue's investigation, "Apothecary Boddynock would be the best source of information. He's been working to find a cure since the plague first presented itself, but has unfortunately had little luck to date." Frowning, the cleric continued, "As far as the first to fall to the plague, I believe most were rough woodsmen, with no families to speak. Maybe one or two had wives? The Apothecary keeps a list of the dead to assist him in his research. He should help your endeavors be profitable."

[section]Brue refrained from commenting on Coinmaster Cooper's claim that the temple's boiled leather armor was well-crafted of quality material. For half a minute, she watched the priest prepare the sacraments, quiet as he worked and talked. The ritualistic way he laid the elements on the table was a comfort. Brue nodded when the Coinmaster mentioned the Apothecary. "Boddynock. Thank you. Most have called him 'Vials.' I'll ask him about the woodsmen. My thanks again, Coinmaster. I expect to return later in the evening. I'll put away the breastpiece when I come in."

Brue turned away from the priest. She headed for the door, but took a moment to don the breastpiece. Once she was satisfied the armor was correctly buckled and wouldn't slip, she left the temple in search of Apothecary Boddynock. Time to ask a gnome some questions. She smiled to herself, remembering Dorin's assessment of conversation with Vials.[/section]

OOC: How was BRBF? Weather ok?

Forged Fury

First Post
"Oh yes, Vials..." the Coinmaster said with some disdain. "I'm not really one for nicknames." Cooper paused, realizing belatedly that Brue herself was likely using one. Covering over his slight, he continued, "Philbert Boddynock, also known as Vials, is the town Apothecary. He's been here for a few years. Odd little fellow, gnome and all, but not a bad sort. He has really dedicated himself to curing this plague. His shop is on the north end of town. There's a large pit dug next to it, so you can't really miss it."

Bidding the Coinmaster farewell, Brue made her way back onto the Trade Way and headed north. While the rain and storms had largely died down, the overcast sky remained dark, as if Talos was brooding between bouts of rage. Even at mid-afternoon, the main roads and alleys were mostly clear of people. Given the walls were closed, there wasn't much trade going on and people had little reason to move around, particularly with the threat of plague.

Nearing the north wall, Brue finally arrived at an odd looking house. Composed mostly of stone, the building deviated from its wooden brethren populating the rest of Mosstone. Faint light glowed from behind the shutters. Next to the stone building was a large pit, apparently recently dug. A large heap of dirt sat next to it, although the recent storms had forced the mound to settle, with portions sliding back into the hole. The bottom of the pit was covered in black soot, bits of white poking out here and there.

Last edited:

[section]Brue eyed the open pit, noting the bits of white here and there beneath the black soot. She paused and took a longer look at the pit. Nine Hells, is that BONE poking out of the soot? Or flesh?! Brue shuddered. She forced herself to come away from the pit, and made for the door to the stone house. When she got to the door, she rapped thrice, loudly. "Master Boddynock, open up, if you please! I'm a deputy in service to the Lawkeeper, and I have questions about your patients."[/section]

Forged Fury

First Post
Knocking on the door, Brue heard silence for a few seconds before a loud thud and a muffled high-pitched curse broke the tranquility. She wasn’t quite sure, but she thought she heard the voice say “Coming!”

With a creaking groan, the door opened to reveal a dimly lit room and a small figure standing in the doorway. The room itself was covered in charts and notes, a slate board with chalk markings showing a few arcane calculations. Various vials and flasks bubbled and boiled on a table in the corner of the room. The occupant of the room, however, drew Brue's attention. Covered head to toe in a black leather coat, a broad brimmed hat, and an odd mask resembling the face of a bird, the little figure cocked its head, lending it even greater resemblance to some kind of avian.

Plague Doctor by lockinloadeadly (DeviantArt).jpg
Credit to lockinloadeadly @ DeviantArt

“Who brought me an earth genasi?” the muffled, high-pitched voice asked. Clapping its hands, it continued, “I’ve always wanted an earth genasi! You’re not infected are you? No, certainly not…” Yanking off the hat and mask, a shock of reddish-orange hair popped out, the hair standing on end appearing like it was trying to escape the little man’s head.

Gnome by SirTiefling (Deviantart).jpg
Credit to SirTiefling @ DeviantArt

“Hello, I’m Philbert Boddynock, although my friends call me Vials. I haven’t seen you around before… who may you be?” It's fairly obvious the little man didn't hear Brue's announcement.

[section]Brue nearly turned around when the masked avian creature answered the door. The burbling vials on the corner table, the mask, the dim lighting in the room, and the peculiarity of the creature who answered the door gave her chicken skin. Before she could stumble backward off the porch, however, the little man tore off his mask and hat, revealing himself to be a gnome. His flame-colored hair stood on end. Brue blinked at the man's enthusiasm. "I'm called Brue," she said carefully, the lie growing easier with every telling. "What's an earth genasi?" The words tumbled out before she could stop them.[/section]

Forged Fury

First Post
Vials cocked his head. Without the mask, the gesture appeared much more inquisitive, far less avian. Leaning out the door, he looked south. "Did Dorin send you on a lark?" Not seeing a dwarf standing in the street, he continued, "What's an earth genasi? Why, you're an earth genasi, Brue." The gnome studied the woman's face, not detecting much understanding and picking up on a slight note of frustration. "My, my... you really don't know what you are. How mysterious... come, come, might as well come inside, perhaps I can help you out."

Ushering the woman inside, Vials shut the door to the elements, immediately shrouding the room in dim light. Walking over to a hooded lantern hanging from one of the support beams, the gnome twisted the top of the device which lifted the hood, bathing the room in light. "Sorry about the light, I don't need much as a gnome... not a trait the genasi share."

Carefully looking over the woman, the little man said, "Well, let's see. You're wearing Commerce House armor, have a Lawkeeper badge, and don't know who or what you are. You must be the woman Randal brought back the other night when he returned from Kirgard, now deputized. How delightful!"

"But you probably don't care about my deductions, you want to know a little about yourself," Vials said, waving his hands about. "Naturally. All right Brue, assuming you aren't a polymorphed dragon or some such, you are, if I am not off my mark, an earth genasi. The genasi are a humanoid race resulting from the mating of a mortal humanoid with one of the elemental races. In the case of an earth genasi, one of the parents is a dao, a native of the Elemental Plane of Earth. The dao are a bit sinister and quite ruthless, but their progeny don't seem to be predisposed towards it one way or the other. Their offspring do, however, share some of their great strength and hardiness."

Tapping his lips with his forefinger, the apothecary continued, "We actually don't have too many earth genasi around here, although Calimshan has quite a few of the fire and air variety. Lots of djinni and efreet running around down there. You're actually the first earth genasi I've ever met, but I've read stories involving them. They're said to be sure-footed whenever they touch ground and can nearly blend into the earth around them."

"But that can't be the reason you're here to see me. Granted, I'm the closest thing the town has to a sage, but I'm arms deep in this plague business at the moment." Reaching into a pocket on his robes, Vials pulled out a copper coin and spun it across his knuckles. As it hit the knuckle on his index finger, he flipped it in the air to Brue. "Penny for your thoughts? What's on your mind?"

GM: Character Sheet Update: You are an Earth Genasi with racial bonuses to Strength and Constitution. Your Constitution is a 16. You have an inkling to your racial abilities, but aren't exactly sure what they do.

Last edited:

[section]The gnome nattered. A dull ache settled into the bone at the back of Brue's head. Tendrils of hurt wove themselves down her neck; sensory overload from the pressure in the air from the storm, the conk on the head she'd taken two days earlier, the fisticuffs at the Mossy Nymph, and memory loss combined for the perfect cocktail of pain with a twist of chagrin. The adrenaline from coming out best in the fist fight had worn off by the time she'd left the temple. Brue felt tired.

She stepped into Vials' dimly lit rooms, and studied the hooded lantern. How clever a device it is, see how with a lift of the shutter on the side it gives off more or less light. Brue moved forward, itching to examine the queer little lantern, but remembered her place. She was a guest here. It took her a moment to catch up with Vials. She frowned when he said 'Randal,' only remembering at the last that 'Randal' was Greycastle. When Vials mentioned being deputized, Brue nodded in agreement. She opened her mouth to say something, but the little gnome continued on, and there wasn't room to get a word in edgewise. Instead, she fell to listening carefully, and tried to ignore the pain in her head.

When Vials said the word 'dao,' Brue's attention snapped back to the gnome. She frowned. What's a 'dao'? she wondered, only to receive a partial answer a beat later. An evil elemental? Her frown deepened. I'm not human? Well, that explains a few things. Her eyes flicked to her mottled grey, black, and bronze patterned skin. Not the result of some wayward magic, then. But, wait, did he just say 'sure-footed' on ground? And 'nearly blend into the earth?'

Brue was deep in thought and missed Vials's winding down his guessing game. The penny fell unnoticed with a flat thunk to the floor. Brue looked down, then bent over and picked up the coin. She handed it back to the gnome. Vials's last question echoed in her mind. She straightened her shoulders, opted for her trademark honesty. "It's a lot to take in. What's a dao? No, wait," Brue stammered, changing tack. The irises of her eyes sharpened as she re-focused on Vials. " . . . I'll come back another time about the earth genasi stuff. I don't want you to think I'm ungrateful, I do have questions. It's just that Greycastle's asked me to look into the cause of the plague. So I thought I'd come see you." Brue thought a moment, trying to recall her purpose in coming to the apothecary. "I was curious about the first few people who got the disease, you see. Who they were, where they'd been? Where they lived? Coinmaster Cooper suggested you'd be a good person to talk to about that." Brue opted not to mention that Dorin Fellhammer had also obliquely suggested she seek out the gnome apothecary. She watched Vials for his reaction to the Coinmaster's name.[/section]

Remove ads