Improved, Improved Familiar

SamuraiY

First Post
I'd kind of like to have a third layer of power in familiars, so here's an idea.

Greater Familiar
Prerequisites: Ability to aquire a new familiar, Appropriate
alignment, Improved Familiar
Benefit: When choosing a familiar, you may choose from an even larger pool of creatures. You may only take a familiar who's alignment is up to one step away from yours on each of the alignment axes.

Familiar |Alignment Arcane|Spellcaster Level
Hell Hound Lawful Evil 9
Juvenile Tojanida Neutral 9
Magmin Chaotic Neutral 9
Minor Xorn Neutral 9
Juvenile Arrowhawk Neutral 9
Shadow Chaotic Evil 11
Blink Dog Lawful Good 11
Boggle Chaotic Neutral 11
Grimalkin Neutral 11
Lantern Archon Lawful Good 11
Pixie Neutral Good 13
Half Elemental* Depends 13
Half Fiend* Depends 13
Half Celestial* Depends 13

*Apply to any creature from the standard or improved familiar list.

Just an idea. The chart is no where near finished. It will definately need changes, additions and removals. Anyone got ideas?

DerianCypher

First Post
Well, I'd be very wary on allowing some of those familiars.

My thinking is that some of those things aren't familiars, they are cohorts.

SamuraiY

First Post
I am also a little worried about them, but there are some pretty intelligent familiars in Improved Familiar(or did you mean something else?). Which ones would you take off?

SamuraiY

First Post
True, a lantern archon is pushing the boundry between a familiar and a cohort. Consider it scratched. I don't really agree about the half fiend and half celestials though. They don't seem too powerful, and, as they would probably be animals, I really don't see it as that far fetched for a familiar.

Edited after looking at te 19+ abilities more closely: How do you decide a familiar's level? Is it the same as their hit dice. If it is than these two are probably too powerful, but I really don't want to remove them. They seem too much like a natural advancement from the Fiendish/Celestial template creatures offered in Improved Familiar.

Last edited:

Remove ads