Ask Me Anything: Keith Baker (Eberron, Phoenix: Dawn Command) - Page 2
+ Log in or register to post
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Since this is an AMA forum I shall ask some queries and keep them all in a centralized location, and if any of these are repeated elsewhere I didn't see them and I apologize...

Why did you decide to go with a card system for game resolution instead of using either regular numerical dice or customized dice?
    Where did the inspiration for the artwork come from? It's pretty unique and cool.
    How many sessions do you feel the average campaign will be with this game to go from beginning heroes to the end and final death?

Hey Keith,

It's awesome you're doing this. My group has always loved Eberron above all other campaign settings since its release! So, to my questions:
    1. I actually attempted to design my own card based RPG once, but it never really got off the ground. One of the difficulties I found in playtesting was that I realized every player wanted to keep the deck of cards that made their character, permanently. Since there would only be one copy of the game I wasn't quite sure how to combat this, but was considering the possibility that there would have to be some kind of player pack. What are your thoughts on this issue?
    2. Do you think you've managed to deal with the fact that a card game seems to make the players (in my playtesting experience) feel more at competition with the GM? I actually had a really good GM lose himself in competitive thoughts when play testing, it was strange.
    3. Do you feel you've managed to capture a feeling of making every character feel unique without overloading them with cards? This is another thing I struggled with, in the first playtests of my game we actually had like six decks per player haha.

Hello Keith! I'm a big fan of your settings. I'm currently in an online Eberron game where we just started an expedition into the Mournlands. I play a lot of my games over the internet, and I'm a huge fan of card games. Are there any plans to support online play with this game, or is that too far in the future?

Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    O.G.R.E.DragonlanceEN World EN5iderKobold PressD&D

Block bedir than

Friend+
    Keith, what is your spark that set the fire that created Eberron? What about for Phoenix: Dawn Command?

By spark I mean the first idea that you explored and blew out that kept growing.

Hi Keith!
    I just backed your project and listened to everything I could find about it!
    1- How many sessions do you estimate the built-in "adventure path" will take? 120 pages seems quite short for a rulebook, so I find it unsettling that it is supposed to contain a full story arc on top of the full rules!
    2- Any plans about follow-up books, expansions, etc? Care to give us an idea of your plans for the future of PC?

You said the GM does not have cards, but does he has some kind of resources to play, or his role is just to describe the story, with all the mechanical parts in the hands of the players?

Why Tarot cards instead of normal sized cards? It would be easy to sleeve then.

How often a player who WANTS to succeed, can't? Be a fate of a bad hand draw, or a critical hit for the DM or a critical miss for the player in other RPGs.

And about the art, the artists are great, but the art director, o at least the decision to go this route for the art was as great as the name is bad

Defender (Lvl 8)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I Defended The Walls!

Block Hellcow

Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by balard View Post
    Why Tarot cards instead of normal sized cards? It would be easy to sleeve then.
    We love the look and feel of the tarot-sized cards. You're using them all the time, and it's nice to have something that has some weight. Sleeves are harder to come by, but they are available.

Quote Originally Posted by balard View Post
    How often a player who WANTS to succeed, can't? Be a fate of a bad hand draw, or a critical hit for the DM or a critical miss for the player in other RPGs.
    It's really a very different sort of experience. Let's say that you're facing some sort of powerful spirit. You can look at your hand and its defense number and conclude that you don't have what it takes to inflict damage on it. In which case, you can consider what you CAN accomplish with the cards you have, which falls back to what kind of character on. If you're Devoted, can you use your knowledge of spirits to try to learn more about the creature? If you're Shrouded, can you spot something hidden or take advantage of something in the room? Can you try to free the captive that the spirit is holding prisoner?

With that said, there are OFTEN surprises. Part of the point of the setting is that we know almost nothing about the Dread. For example, it could be that if you just leap in an "kill" that spirit that it will leap into the body of that prisoner... and now it's even tougher and you've just killed an innocent. Which is why you might have wanted to make that Lore check!

So you never have a situation where you try to make an attack and unexpectedly roll a 1 - but you can certainly have situations where something unexpected happens. Likewise, there are often situations where you know if you have a good hand, but you don't know EXACTLY what your target number is. It's like saying "You know you have a 15 on your D20... is that enough to sneak past that guard?" You know it's good, but you don't know how sharp the guard is.

So there's lots of ways to get uncertainty. But you don't have the entirely unexpected "I'm really good at this thing, but I rolled a 1 and failed this trivial task."

Defender (Lvl 8)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I Defended The Walls!

Block Hellcow

Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by bedir than View Post
    Keith, what is your spark that set the fire that created Eberron? What about for Phoenix: Dawn Command? By spark I mean the first idea that you explored and blew out that kept growing.
    Great question!

Eberron came from a few different places. First of all, I'd spent a year watching pulp movies and serials, and I've always loved film noir, and I wanted to blend that with fantasy. Second: In 3E D&D - what I was working with at the time - magic behaves in a scientific manner. It's reliable and repeatable. It can be taught. A wizard can invent a spell and then teach that to another wizard. So why doesn't it evolve with society? The question to me was "If we'd had arcane magic in the Renaissance instead of technology, what would the world look like today?" There's lots of other elements - the impact of war, the balance between political and corporate power, but the main SPARKS were pulp/noir and exploring the impact of magic on civilization.

Phoenix likewise comes from a few places. The first spark was the idea of a setting in which death was how the heroes become stronger. This then led to the question of a world where that concept made sense - both in terms of the mythology of the world, the impact Phoenixes would have on society, and a threat that would make that power feel necessary. The point of Phoenix is that your missions are more important than your survival, and the odds are harsh enough that you will have to make sacrifices to hope to succeed. Like Eberron, there's far more to the setting than just this initial spark... and it also explores the impact of magic on civilization, just in a very different way!
    XP bedir than gave XP for this post

Guide (Lvl 11)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Block megamania

Friend+
    'allo Keith-
    Another Eberron question. If you were to have written a third "Thorn of Breland" novel, what would it have dealt with? More about the shards in her back? History of the Dark lanterns? Curious mainly. I tend to mix events of the novels with the Eberron timeline and my own adventure timelines.

Defender (Lvl 8)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I Defended The Walls!

Block Hellcow

Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by megamania View Post
    Another Eberron question. If you were to have written a third "Thorn of Breland" novel, what would it have dealt with?
    First of all, I DID write a third Thorn of Breland novel: The series is The Queen of Stone, The Son of Khyber and The Fading Dream. However, I'd originally discussed a five-book arc with WotC, so I did have a longer story in mind. Without giving too much away about the previous books, the idea of the series is that it begins with the focus on Thorn and the cold war between the Five Nations... but as it goes on, she becomes aware of the cold war between the dragons of Argonnessen and the Lords of Dust, and her role in that. Again, not really a spoiler because it's only something that really becomes clear in the final book - but that's the direction it was going.

+ Log in or register to post
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply