Are you out of the D&D closet?

Wolfspider’s previous thread about some crazy being linked to gamers set me to thinking about how I present my gaming self to the outside world. Thru my gaming life, some 20 years now, I suppose I have kept a low profile out in the “normal” world and I don’t advertise my love for D&D. My books lay out around my house, but I will put them away if the in-laws come over (I think my mother-in-law believes I’m going straight to hell) and I don’t go to work on Mon. bragging about how great a game we had this weekend. I seem to have an odd sense of uneasiness over hiding my perfectly harmless and legitimate hobby and wonder if anyone else goes thru this?

shilsen

Adventurer
I tend to be completely comfortable with mentioning that I play D&D, whether at work, among friends, acquaintances, etc. But I do sometimes get a funny look from people who hear that (although some have later told me that they were more surprised at my lack of embarassment about it, than at the gaming itself). I do also know other people who tend to keep the fact that they are gamers under wraps. In fact, I'm the only person among the gamers I know who wouldn't have a problem mentioning it in any social circle, so you're definitely not the only one hiding a few D&D skeletons in your closet.

Enforcer

Explorer
I must admit that I'm not really open about it. It probably goes way back to 5th grade when my parents freaked out when they found out that I had gotten involved with the game. Ugh, what a fun memory.

Tiefling

First Post
I work on a "Don't ask, don't tell" policy. If you don't ask me what my hobbies are, I don't tell you to shove it. ;)

Seriously though, I don't advertise the fact to anyone, but I don't hide my books, and if someone asks me about my interests, I'll tell them. No one seems to care what kind of games you play in my area.

Eye Tyrant

First Post
EYE don't advertise my love for the game(s) to the general public EYE-ther, the necessary explanation people seem to need just irritates me...

My books lie about the house as well, but get put away on occasion depending on the company...

The "don't ask, don't tell you to shove it" policy works for me as well...

Something about the strange looks people like to give just makes me wanna smack the taste outta their mouth...

But then again, perhaps if they understood more about RPGs they wouldn't give me those looks...

UD

First Post
*Stands*
Hello, My names UD, Im a student, and I... I play Dungeons and Dragons...

My hobby isnt a secret, people can be freaked out or whatever, but I don't care. Then again most people don't care, or play it with me so... Only one person I know thinks Im going straight to hell...

The thing for me is I play a lot of RPG's, I'm a student I seem to spend a lot of time at my Uni's WARPS (War Games and Role Playing Society) and I rekon I do about 23 hours of gaming a week, roughly... So people ask me where I was, or what I was doing at such and such a time, and I just tell em. No point in lieing, most people don't care, or have a casual comment such as 'Thats the thing with the dice and the figures right?'

DerianCypher

First Post
Well..

Well, I go to Christian school so I really don't advertise that I play. Honestly though I'm a Christian and so are all the people in my gaming group, and I don't see how it can be considered evil. I think mainly the problem that a lot of people have with D&D is all the bad press that it is associated with (sewer people and the like). I mainly don't advertise my gaming at school because I don't want to have people in authority over me becoming wary because of my hobby. As soon as I graduate though I intend on having a sit down conversation with a few of my favorite teachers:D

Fayredeth

First Post
Generally, I don't flaunt my roleplaying interest, but I'm really getting better about it. I used to be embarrassed to tell people about the game; now, however, I do tell people that I play, although I am a bit reluctant still. I don't even know why I bother, I can't see how I can be viewed as an even worse nerd than I already am. Well, it's not really that bad. It's just the whole high school thing is still lingering around me like a bad scent. I'm ranting on, so I'll stop myself. If I can. Which I can at any time. Like now. Or now. Or not.

Jarval

Explorer
Tiefling said:
I work on a "Don't ask, don't tell" policy. If you don't ask me what my hobbies are, I don't tell you to shove it. ;)

Seriously though, I don't advertise the fact to anyone, but I don't hide my books, and if someone asks me about my interests, I'll tell them. No one seems to care what kind of games you play in my area.

That's pretty much my attitude. But I live in the UK, where there is much less of a "D&D is evil" mindset (In fact, I've never encountered anyone with that idea). The only comment I've found you're likely to get is "oh, the Lord of the Rings type game". Though it's still considered a rather geeky interest.

DerianCypher
I've been thru the "Christian authority" way back in my earlier days. This no doubt contributed to my current closet status and I hope you have a better time at it than I did. I think it's great that your gaming group can look past the stigma of the game. But what do I know about it? I'm just some guy from Ohio.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases