3.5 Ranger Combat Styles

Merlion

First Post
Maybe someone has posted about this already but I just recently saw the Revision SPotlight on the WotC website that included this little bit of info

Manyshot [General]

You can fire multiple arrows as a single attack against a nearby target.

Prerequisites: Dex 17, Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, base attack bonus +6.

Benefit: As a standard action, you may fire two arrows at a single opponent within 30 feet. Both arrows use the same attack roll (with a -4 penalty) to determine success and deal damage normally (but see Special).

For every five points of base attack bonus you have above +6, you may add one additional arrow to this attack, to a maximum of four arrows at a base attack bonus of +16. However, each arrow after the second adds a cumulative -2 penalty on the attack roll (for a total of -6 on the third arrow and -8 on the fourth).

Damage reduction and other resistances apply separately against each arrow fired.

Special: Regardless of the number of arrows you fire, you apply precision-based damage (such as sneak attack damage) only once. If you score a critical hit, only the first arrow fired deals critical damage; all others deal regular damage.

A fighter may select Manyshot as one of his fighter bonus feats.

A 6th-level ranger who has chosen the archery combat style is treated as having Manyshot even if he does not have the prerequisites for it, but only when he is wearing light or no armor.

So I guess this means the rumour that mentioned rangers having a 2 handed fighting AND an Archery feat path they can follow and that actualy goes through several levels is true. Maybe theres other "combat styles" as well. What does everyone think of this, and the other prospective changes(smallerhit die more skill points etc). What are some other Comabt Styles you think they might do?

Last edited:

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Merlion said:
So I guess this means the rumour that mentioned rangers having a 2 handed fighting AND an Archery feat path they can follow and that actualy goes through several levels is true. Maybe theres other "combat styles" as well. What does everyone think of this, and the other prospective changes(smallerhit die more skill points etc). What are some other Comabt Styles you think they might do?

I think shoehorning Rangers into any kind of combat style is a bad idea. The class abilities of the Ranger should be focused on exploration and survival. Not fighting--that's the Fighter's domain. These "combat styles" seem like nothing more than pre-chosen Fighter bonus feats. :rolleyes:

More skill points is a good thing, but the smaller hit die is a mistake. Rangers should be hardy survivors, and one way to reflect that is by loading up hit points. If the lower hit die is balanced by strong Fort and Will saves I'll be happy. After all, any survivalist will tell you that willpower is absolutely vital to survival.

Archaic combat styles are usually organized into the following: weapon & shield, two-handed weapon, pole weapon, single weapon, two weapons, thrown weapons, archery. There are wacky cases (weapon & cape, etc.) but those are the most common categories. I wouldn't strongly object to a feat for each style, but then again, I think that there are too many feats as is.

-z

Merlion

First Post
Well the combat style thing is only one thing. if the rumour is true they will get more skill points good reflex as well as fort saves and maybe some other things. it looks like its essentialy going to be the Monte Cook ranger with certain "virtual feat" paths instead of just bonus feats. Which is probably actualy good first for the reason you cited(general bonus feats is the Fighters area) and second because the virtual feats can only be used in Light or no armour which they probaby did to avoid rangers with platemail which makes sense to me.

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
I wouldn't have a problem with it, if they were just bonus feats. Fighting is the not the fighter's exclusive provice, after all; rangers, paladins, and barbarians are always warriors first and something else second.

Merlion

First Post
Nor would I really...I was citing that as reasons why their doing it that way...and I do understand those reasons.
What do you think of how they are doing it? What other combat styles might we see do you think?>

Vrylakos

First Post
You know what would make a hell of a lot of sense to me?

An unarmed path.

I mean, in theory, you drop a naked Ranger into the middle of a jungle or a forest, or wherever, he should be the guy who can handle it, right? (I mean, barbarian's a close second, but humor me)

Not as it stands. He needs to forge some duel-wieldable swords, or a bow and arrow.

For the hardcore ranger, I'd like to see an unarmed fighting path. Then you've got Tarzan, baby!

And sure, Tarzan may follow the law of the jungle, but he's not a Lawful Monk.

Maybe an unarmed fighting path for rangers could have some animal styles or something...

That's just me... I figure the ranger should get more options than a lackluster archery/twosword switch.

Vrylakos

Merlion

First Post
I could see that. doubt they'll do it but I could see it.
My guess for another likely path would be the dodge/mobliity/spring attack type thing. great for a "giant killer"

Vrylakos

First Post
Merlion said:
I could see that. doubt they'll do it but I could see it.
My guess for another likely path would be the dodge/mobliity/spring attack type thing. great for a "giant killer"

Yeah. Animal martial arts would be moderately exciting and a perhaps interesting new twist on the ranger. And so thus, probably not going to happen...

Vrylakos

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Personally I wish they would have dropped the spellcasting.

When is the last time you saw Aragorn or Robin Hood cast a spell? If you want woodland spellcasting, multiclass with druid. :rolleyes:

Remove ads