Groovy! Eden to do Army of Darkness RPG!!!

MattyHelms

First Post
I didn't see anyone else posting this here, so I have to chime in - Eden Studios announced today they are releasing Army of Darkness games (an RPG and a non-collectible card game) in October!!! After the fantastic job Eden did capturing the spirit of the Buffy show in their Buffy RPG, I can't wait to see what they do with this license. The RPG is being penned by the creater of Deadlands, who's apparently pretty friendly with Bruce Campbell and will be securing The Man's input.

Anyone who's played in one of my d20 Cthulhu games should know what I'll be running at the November Chicago Gameday!

I am curious if Eden will be including d20 material in the Army of Darkness RPG like they are with the 2nd edition of All Flesh Must Be Eaten.

Later,
Matt

Crothian

First Post
Um, so am I the only one (probably) that doesn't think this is the type of movie that will work well for a game. Buffy had how many episodes of to build a game out of? AoD was a movie, short movie, while enjoyible wasn't really something I ever thought of gaming in. The setting is poorly defined and the best thing about it is the main character. But we can only have so many PCs based off of him before that gets old fast.

MattyHelms

First Post
Crothian said:
Um, so am I the only one (probably) that doesn't think this is the type of movie that will work well for a game. Buffy had how many episodes of to build a game out of? AoD was a movie, short movie, while enjoyible wasn't really something I ever thought of gaming in. The setting is poorly defined and the best thing about it is the main character. But we can only have so many PCs based off of him before that gets old fast.

A lot of people said similar things about the Buffy RPG before it was released - that the concept is based around one character, the mythology is too limited to one setting, etc. Eden did a great job of opening the game up to center around non-Buffy characters and non-Sunnydale settings. I'm sure Eden can pull Army of Darkness off and make it interesting. As for a bunch of Ashes, remember that Ash is just a regular guy caught up in the madness - the game will probably support many different types of characters. And the lack of concrete setting opens the game up to a world of possibilities that would each have a similar flavor, like, say, D&D :)

Later,
Matt

Crothian

First Post
Buffy has many, many character types in it. There was a heap of material to draw from. AoD is just not that way. It's not that I doubt Eden's ability, I just see them having to move well away from the movie in some if not many regards to make this work. So, I'll be in the wait and see catatogry.

rounser

First Post
AoD was all about the one-liners, in a similar fashion to which James Bond movies are all about 007 making bad puns/bad innuendos after destroying/seducing something.

Not sure how well this'll translate to the gaming table...

Last edited:

mistergone

First Post
It should be entertaining. There was an old AoD rpg way back in the early 90's I think.. at least some company put out minis for one.... I don't remember much about it, but I forsee a moderate amount of success, especially if they put D20 material in it. I'm really looking forward to AFMBE 2nd Ed. Now, I really wish they had secured the Resident Evil license. THAT would rock... as they say.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases