[What's O.L.D Is N.E.W] Iain M Banks-inspired sci-fi campaign!

Unsung

First Post
The Culture. Heard of it? The novel series-- including Use of Weapons, Excession, The Player of Games, Look To Windward, and Consider Phlebas, among others-- and the hyperadvanced spacefaring socioanarchists of the same name?

Described here by the author: http://www.vavatch.co.uk/books/banks/cultnote.htm

A post-scarcity civilization 'governed' (quote-unquote; led, guided, or shepherded might all be better words for it) by benign AIs of staggering intelligence, where what we might call radical transhumanism today is seen as pretty routine; members of the Culture construct their own worlds as an art form, and change bodies and genders as a matter of fashion. Currency is considered a disproven notion and there are no spoken laws-- theoretically, at least. There are still social pressures (also elevated to a kind of art form), and freedom as an ideal (though not at the expense of others) is fairly thoroughly enshrined. A stab at an egalitarian utopia, though not without its own flaws; to its credit, not without some self-awareness of the fact.

Officially pacifist, with a strong diplomatic arm of well-intentioned meddlers, called Contact; Contact has a further specialized division of spies called Special Circumstances, who some would argue aren't really part of Contact at all at this point.

Sort of like Star Trek's Federation, but with more sex and drugs and fewer rules, and nothing resembling the Prime Directive. Not at all shy about interfering with less advanced civilizations if it cuts down on atrocities-- that's the Culture.

For this game, we'll be trying out the rules for N.E.W, the future segment of the What's O.L.D Is N.E.W ruleset.

Speak up if you're interested!

Original interest-check post ends. This space reserved for campaign information, recruitment details, relevant links, and so on.

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Eclipse Phase could work if you strip out the setting and story. It has good rules for post-currency economies and brainmapping/bodyswapping and so on. Something few systems will deal with without fairly extensive houseruling.

It sounds awesome, but I dunno if I can hack another game. Even though this really sounds like -exactly- the kind of game premise that I've been wanting to try for like...a millenia.

:(

I'll watch and assess.

Damn. I need another game like I need a hole in my head.

I'm really into Modern right now, though. And I have, like, mad artwork stored up on my hard drive for just this kind of game. If this were to be rules-lite and either d20 Modern or used a system for which there was a legally accessible .pdf download of the rules for free, I might be super tempted. I probably can't hack another Shadowrun-style set of rules right now, though.

Could you set it using Call of Cthulu? Or could we maybe make it a 5e game but strip out the ren-fair elements of 5e and supplant them with futuristic elements that we rip off from other systems?

Unsung

First Post
That can certainly be arranged. :D

Anything I'm likely to run myself would probably lean toward rules-lite, narrativist sort of stuff. Apocalypse World is a little mindbending at first, but it's not a matter of reading through a huge tome. Once you're past the jargon and notational quirks, it's very simple but quite effective, and all you really need to know can be summed up by your playbook, which is one part character sheet, one part cut-down class description and/or spell list.

Numenera and the Strange are honestly a little similar, though not quite as pared-down.

While I do like FATE a lot (Diaspora!), I think it loses something without the interactive aspect of bidding Fate points live across the table. So popular as it is, I probably wouldn't want to run it. Though I'd still be happy to play it.

I've never had the chance to play Call of Cthulhu (heard some great things, though), but lately I've been thinking about teaching myself Trail of Cthulhu (in the introduction to which Trail's designer Kenneth Hite refers to Chaosium's Call of Cthulhu as the greatest RPG system of all time). I wasn't even thinking about the Gumshoe system for this until now, but maybe I should have been. I know there's a sci-fi setting for that (Ashen Stars), but from what I've read of it, it doesn't seem quite the right fit for the Culture, though. Much more of a 'used future' milieu. I'll add to the list.

Last edited:

There's also What's O.L.D. is N.E.W., the brand new EN Publishing system, which, coincidentally, has just today offered a free 40-pp starter set .pdf available HERE. Might be worth a look.

Unsung

First Post
...There's a lot to like here. Honestly, reskin the pregens a little bit (not even all that much), and the game I want is probably is probably within reach.

Definitely looking forward to the full release of O.L.D, N.O.W, and N.E.W alike.

Shayuri

First Post
Hm, I've been really interested in OLD and NEW and all that. Haven't seen anyone trying to run a game of it yet. Would like to see that change. :)

GlassEye

Adventurer
I've never read Banks (though I've thoroughly enjoyed Charles Stross and Ken MacLeod's books) but this sounds like a really cool idea.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases