Druids?

kristov

Explorer
Anyone play any powerful druids?

Im joining a game where I will start off about level 13 - and then the campaign will go into epic levels.

I want to play a character that is different - but i want to be powerful because the guys im joing up with are all half-celestials with pretty sweet stats.

Lemme know if you have any suggestions - particuarly if you have any idea how I can make a druid worth while!

-Kristov

Kae'Yoss

First Post
They tend to become powerful by themselves. Nice spell selection, skills are great...

Balance your spells between damage, offensive effect, defensive, and utility spells, get a nice weapon (either your patron deity's favored weapon, or a scimitar).

zyzzyr

First Post
Hi,

I'm just starting a campaign as a 15th level druid, still in the process of creating a character.

If you are looking for power, here's a few tips:

Wilding Clasps from MoF can be added to amulets and vests to prevent being melded into your animal form - thus you still get their benefit. This means if you want several benefits (Ring of Wizardry, Periapt of Wisdom, Wildshape Amulet, Ring of animal friendship) to be kept in animal form, well, you're going to have to move them into amulets or vests. Note that something like Wildshape Amulet or Ring of Friendship might not need to be kept outside of your animal form to be effective.

Wildshape Amulet from MoF increases your wildshaping ability to that of a druid 4 levels higher.

A ring of animal friendship will allow you to bring around another dire bear (12 HD).

Torc of animal speech allows you to "speak with animals" at will.

Taking 1 level of Shifter will allow you to wildshape into a drow with SR 11 + level (but only while in the shape of a drow!). Use Thousand Faces to look like a human so you don't look like a drow. Taking Shifter also allows you to specify which pieces of equipment meld and which don't, so you don't need wilding clasps.

Taking 1 level of monk adds your Wis bonus to your AC while not wearing armor. For a high level druid, this is significant.

If you want to play something different, you can try the Shifter class from MotW. With 13 character levels to play with, you can be a Drd5/Shf8. Shifter gets you extraordinary abilities of the creature (troll's regeneration, SR, etc.). There's a good Shifter FAQ over on the Wizard's boards under prestige classes. From what I understand, though, it's great for mid-to-high levels, but not that great at high levels (wizard's shapechange is fairly similar).

Verdant Lord (MotW) is pretty powerful too - BAB advancement like a fighter, but you still advance spellcasting level. At 10th level (15th character if you try to do it quickly), you become a plant (and all the associate goodness, like immunity to critical hits). Taking the Wildshape amulet still lets you wildshape like a 9th level druid.

Feats: If you want to cast spells while wildshaped, Natural Spell (MotW) allows you to cast spells while in animal form, but using material components can be a pain. Take Eschew Materials to go along with that.

Other Feats: Extra Wildshape (if that's your interest - note a 14th level druid with Wildshape Amulet gets 6 WS and 3 Elemental WS/day). Speaking Wilshape (allows you to speak to animals of the form you assumed).

If you go the spellcasting route, Spellcasting Prodigy from FRCS is almost essential (+2 to primary stat as it affects spells).

I haven't heard many good things about d20 (non-WotC) stuff, but I don't own any of it either.

Another possible (interesting route) is taking 13 levels of druid, and 1 level of heirophant (though this is probably better for a cleric). Choose "Reach spell" as your power, and all your "touch" spells are now "ranged touch" with a range of 30 ft. Excellent for hiding in the back and healing, or inflicting (which is why it's better as a cleric).

If you're going into Epic Levels, you'll hear the mantra "spellcasters should not multiclass". For every level you take in a class that does not advance your spellcasting, you drop your *highest* level of spellcasting ability. So a Drd14/Shf1 loses the ability to cast 8th level spells. Not too big of a deal if you take only 1 level of another class, but something like Drd5/Animal Lord10 (from MotW - no spell advancement) is significantly different in terms of power. (e.g. summon dire animals 2/day is only a 6th level spell, and a major power of animal lord. But a 15th level druid can actually do this easily!)

If you spend a lot of time wildshaped (note wildshaped druids cannot speak any language at all without the help of magic! this is dealt with in another thread here - you'd need to make a house rule spell, feat, magical item, or ability to deal with it), don't worry about your Str and Dex - they'll always be replaced by the form you assume. Con is still important, for although it gets replaced while wildshaped, your HP are still the same.

Be sure to check out "legendary animals" from MotW. They're much more badass versions of Dire animals - A Legendary Bear (20 HD) gets 2 +27 claws, 1 +22 bite for enormous damage!

That's all I know so far. Hope this helps!

Krash

First Post
Speaking of Con. What about the shifter who spends a few levels as a giant? Since he has had improved constitution for those levels, does he gain hitpoints as though he had that con?

Seems semi reasonable to me I would guess...

Dr. NRG

First Post
I haven't played a druid to levels that high, but I have played one to around 10th level. Given a non-urban situation, you're almost always better off being in animal form than in human form. You get better attacks, movement, senses, etc. than typical PC races. Natural spell is a must for this.

In choosing/rolling stats, remember that when wildshaped, you get the str, con and dex of whatever you turn into. In terms of feats, poing blank shot or weapon focus scimitar don't buy you much when you're a bear or an eagle... Power attack and improved initiative may, though.

If you plan to get into combat, beware the low natural ACs of most animals. You can easily run into a barbarian-type scenario in which the damage you can dish out would more than kill you in one round if turned against you. If you spend enough time wildshaped, get barding for your favorite form... this also applies to your animal companions.

YMMV

NRG

zyzzyr

First Post
re: Barding

MotW has an enhancement that can be added to armor called "wild" - it retains its armor bonus while wildshaped, though it is melded into the form. There is no suggestion as to whether the downsides of the armor (such as armor check penalty) hold, but I assume it does.

For druid you're stuck with 3 types of armor (without use of the ironwood spell) - padded, leather, hide. Even studded leather cannot be used (AFAIK). There is an example ironwood +2 full plate in MotW, for the ridiculous sum of ~ 138k gp. I don't know if this was supposed to be errata'd - I would think it would be closer to 38k gp (or less) - compare to Demon Armor or similar.

zyzzyr

Dr. Zoom

First Post
Krash said:
Speaking of Con. What about the shifter who spends a few levels as a giant? Since he has had improved constitution for those levels, does he gain hitpoints as though he had that con?

Seems semi reasonable to me I would guess...
No. Although he benefits from a higher Con score in all other ways, the druid/shifter's hit points do not change. You can find that in MotW, page 11, under the rules update for Wildshape.

zyzzyr

First Post
Sorry

MoF = Magic of Faerun
MotW = Masters of the Wild

Btw, I've been doing some research on the use of Eschew Materials for druids ... So far (after reading half PHB spells) only 6 or 8 require a material component (many require a focus or divine focus, unaffected by EM feat). And most of these spells are not the sort of thing you'd cast while in battle, where EM has its greatest use.

zyzzyr

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Ironwood full plate costs so much, because it's a permanent version of the ironwood spell, with a spell level of 6, caster level of 11, times 2000 for always on = 132000. Simply put, it's a severe flaw in the item creation guidelines, which causes a spell which would normally last for days to cost as much to make permanent as a spell whose duration is measured in rounds (or is limited to a single round).

You're probably better off getting a wondrous item with 1 charge of the spell per day (which is still far, far more than you actually need, since the spell will last for 11 days). That'll cost you roughly one-quarter the price.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases