D&D 5E B1: In Search of the Unknown (IC)

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Threshold - so named because it is the last bastion of civilization before the mountains and the wild plains beyond, thus serving as a threshold to untamed lands.

The so-called heroes of Threshold, Rogahn and Zelligar, led an expedition through the mountains in an attempt to conquer the plains barbarians and exact some revenge...but their expedition has not returned.

A year later, the Lord Mayor of Threshold has announced that Rogahn, Zelligar, and their expedition have been officially declared lost. This declaration has opened their stronghold, the Caverns of Quasqueton, open to any who would stake a claim, either to the stronghold itself, its rumored riches, or both.

The opportunity awaits for those who would seize it. Not many in Threshold, a small frontier community, have the skill, courage, or recklessness for such an undertaking. There are a few, however...

Norbit Nogginsplitter, a dwarven visitor to Threshold from nowhere in particular, or so it would seem.

Thedren, also a visitor to Threshold, from a monastery of the Healing Light, following a vision.

Nemaer, of Specularum, looking to make a name for himself away from the thieves' guilds of the big city.

Herger Sigismundson, an orphan taken in by the Healing Light.

Laron of the Coast, another orphan, who found life among minstrels preferable to life in a monastery.

Ragnar Rockheart, a member of the notorious dwarven battleragers, seeking his fortune.

A notice in the town square reads...

Those seeking to form an expedition to the Caverns of Quasqueton should meet with the Lord Mayor at noon, 9th Day of Middlespring, 579 C.Y. Provisions and supplies are the responsibility of the expedition members.

OOC: Feel free to improvise minor interactions with non-named NPCs. Also, please include a physical description of your character in your first post.

industrygothica

Adventurer
Norbrit Nogginsplitter scratches his chin as he read the Lord Mayor's notice. His beard is loose and unkempt, and is more brown now, in its unwashed state, than the bright orange it would be had the elders made him wash. But there were no elders here. No elders to decide for him what and what not to do. Those decisions were his and his alone now, and this one seemed an easy one to make.

"'At's tomorrow," he mutters to himself. "Just enough time t'go fill me mug somewhere."

Nemaer deftly maneuvers his way through the small crowd in the town square. Few notice him. With his plain clothes, loose brown hair, and slender frame, he looks like any common farmer or peasant that litters the village. His face is so common that few seem to remember specific details about his features when they see him...just as he likes it.

He brushes past a dwarf whose unwashed body causes his eyes to water. Blinking away the blurriness, his eyes focus on the notice...

An expedition? How interesting! A group would likely need someone of his skill on such an expedition. He reaches down to heft his pouch, frowning at the lack of weight there, wondering what type of fortune he can make.

Wolf118

Explorer
Thedren opened his eyes as the noise of the crowd reached him. His meditation interrupted, he glanced at the source of the commotion. Several people were gathered around the public boards, and there appeared to be a new posting. Apparently, it was generating quite a bit of discussion. His silver eyes narrowed as he watched the various reactions; mostly excited interest. Some few considered the notice with speculative glances or thoughtful expressions.

This, then, could be the sign he was waiting for.

He rose from his lotus position, without the use of his hands. His wiry frame was clothed in a simple shirt and breeches, of unbleached cotton. The wind tossed his black hair for a moment as he judged the distance, and then he stepped forward, off the roof of his inn. Catching the signpost as fell, he used his momentum to swing into a somersault that landed him on his feet on the street. Those pedestrians who witnessed his leap stood watching with mouths gaping, although some of the inn's regulars were used to seeing Thedren's acrobatics by now. They smirked at the others, forgetting how they had reacted the first few times Thedren had landed in the street in front of them.

Thedren ignored the reactions around him. His focus was on the notice, and on the people who were seriously considering it. One man checked his belt purse, while another gesticulated excitedly at his companion. After reading the brief wording, Thedren nodded in satisfaction. The loss of the expedition of Rogahn and Zelligar had been a blow to many in the land, and there might be clues in their stronghold as to the evil they had been seeking to vanquish with their expedition. Perhaps the same evil that plagued his visions....

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Laron, was playing his mandolin inside the inn's lobby when he saw his traveling companion decidedly heading outside. Something interesting must have caught his attention the half elf thought to himself Thedren doesn't easily interrupt his afternoon meditation.

Finishing his song, the slender, 5 foot tall, and dark brown haired minstrel adjusts his green tunic and heads outside to find his friend.

"What's going on Thedren?" he says, just before noticing the sign. As he reads it, a smile grows on his pale, gold-eyed face "This looks like it was meant for us!"

Skarsgard

Explorer
Herger

The crowd around the sign was getting rather pushy, there were all manner of races and creeds around him and Herger fought his way back through away from the sign. A questing hand brushes down his bow towards his coin pouch and he brushes is away. Turning his tattooed face to see who it was he stares at the crowd for a moment before dismissing the incident with a shake of his blond head.

The smell and lack of cleanliness in the group was repellent and he shuddered to think what manner of disease or infestations might be crawling through the tight-knit group. However, the promise of adventure and possible treasure that could fund the Healing Light for a long time was too powerful a draw.

Idly he wondered how many of these people he would see tomorrow.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
A dwarf, broad even by his race's standards, walks across the square at a leasurely pace. Ragnar Rockheart, which is the dwarf's name, has a big black beard with silver skulls woven into it and a bald scalp that is covered in scars and some tattoos, and it is obvious that those tattoos (and likely the scars as well) continue to run across this torso and arms, where the skin is currently covered by a fur-lined cloak. The dwarf wears a blue-and-red kilt and a matching pouch; for those who know of these things a symbol can be discerned on the cloth of the kilt, which proclaims this warrior as a member of the dwarven battlerager squad The Bloody Badgers. Apart from a simple backpack, from which protrude several javelins and two handaxes, Ragnar carries a huge steel maul over his shoulder, supported with one muscular arm to prevent it from falling backwards on the ground.

The crowd parts before this imposing figure, consciously or not. The dwarf does not seem to take note as he walks towards the commotion of a group of people around the notice. "What's going on," Ragnar's deep voice booms over the square. "You all act as if someone is about to give away free dwarven ale!"

Laughing heartily at his own joke, Ragnar steps up and scans the notice, his lips forming the words as he is reading. "Ah, the Caverns of Quasqueton! That sounds like just what I was looking for. Any of you folks considering joining me?"

Wolf118

Explorer
"Yes, Laron. This expedition certainly is a propitious event. We can learn more about these heroes and the evil they were to face on their failed campaign. Perhaps this will give us clues as to where to seek the evil threatening the land." He smiled over at Laron. "And you can gain material for a new ballad."

He scanned the crowd gathered around the board. A glint of metal caught his eye, and he noticed a priest of the Healing Light in the throng. His youthful face was tattooed in the manner of the barbarian clans, but his eyes were intelligent and contemplative of the crowd.

Thedren tapped Laron on the shoulder, and indicated with a slight nod of his head to the priest. Making his way through the crowd, he approached the priest and sketched the sign of the Healing Light upon his breast. "The Light of Healing be upon you, Brother. I am Thedren, and this is my companion Laron. We noticed your interest in the posting; are you perhaps seeking to participate in this quest?"

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
"Yes, Laron. This expedition certainly is a propitious event. We can learn more about these heroes and the evil they were to face on their failed campaign. Perhaps this will give us clues as to where to seek the evil threatening the land." He smiled over at Laron. "And you can gain material for a new ballad."

"You know me, I won't limit myself to only one!" Laron says jokingly. He proceeds to follow Thedren towards the priest, and nods his head in a friendly way when introduced.

Skarsgard

Explorer
Herger was almost clear of the press of unwashed bodies when he hears: "The Light of Healing be upon you, Brother. I am Thedren, and this is my companion Laron. We noticed your interest in the posting; are you perhaps seeking to participate in this quest?" .

Turning he sees two elves standing together one of them inscribing the holy sigil of the Healing Light on his chest in a practised, smooth manner that could only come from one of the faithful. Both the elves were slightly shorter than himself, one looked like a monk, but Herger was careful not to jump to conclusions, the other carried a mandolin or lute of some kind.

"And upon you as well brothers," he replies with a warm smile. "I am Herger and yes I was thinking of joining the expedition on behalf of the order. From what I understand, these things tend to require the odd sharp implement and copious amounts of healing. Are the two of you contemplating it as well?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases