Orcs in d&d vs LOTR

Stegger

First Post
I am new to the world of d&d. I just came into it upon the release of 3ed, so maybe I am just missing something. Well here goes:
I went and saw LOTR with my newly gathered knowledge gained mainly from the PHB, DMG and MM. In the movie they describe these Orcs as some tortured/corrupted Elves of some kind which is in no way compatible with the idea I had from d&d.
To me all the races in d&d has evolved to there present state. Is that completely wrong? Is this described differently in earlier editions?

Tiefling

First Post
It depends entirely on the campaign setting. In one, orcs might be corrupted elves, in another they're mutated hob-goblins, and in another they're peaceful farmers who enjoy Earl Grey tea.

Fayredeth

First Post
It's truly whatever you and your group wish it to be. If you would prefer them to be corrupted elves, then you work that in. If you want orcs that branched off from the rest of the humanoids and went down their own evolutionary path, then you work that in. If you want something different, well, guess what? You work that in!

However, if you mean to ask about the origin of orcs in the "standard" campaign setting, Greyhawk, then I am not sure. There are many who are more familiar with the topic of Greyhawk than I, but I would guess that they were developed seperately from elves. I would hesitate to use evolution though, because the races were probably creations of gods.

Stegger

First Post
Thanks for the replies! The confusion is not present in my campaign, but from a more general point of view.
As Fayredeth pointed out, I meant in commonly known campaign settings. Does anyone know about this in GH or FR (They are probably the same)?
Were the races initially created by the gods, and if yes, which god(s)?

Attachments

• rise_of_the_dungeon_master.jpg
    rise_of_the_dungeon_master.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 10,173

Dispater

Explorer
I really don't bother explaining why they're there. If my players ask me I say demon-spawn-something in an age long past.

Tiefling

First Post
I don't know about GH, but in FR the Orcs were brought in from another plane to be used as slaves in an ancient empire called Imaskar. When the empire fell the slaves escaped and became the traditional canon-fodder of the Realms.

As for the other races of FR, they were either created by gods, brought from other planes by force, or came from other planes of their own accord. Some of the current races are said to be descendents of created races, though, so evolution is suggested.

UD

First Post
Tiefling said:
It depends entirely on the campaign setting. In one, orcs might be corrupted elves, in another they're mutated hob-goblins, and in another they're peaceful farmers who enjoy Earl Grey tea.
ROFLMAO

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases