Workshopping SWRPG (Saga) one-off to commemorate a departed player

GeerBox

First Post
Hi, all,

I was looking for a place to get some help workshopping a one-off SWRPG (Saga Edition) adventure, with the intention of paying tribute to a friend that passed away a while ago. He was one of a few people in our group who would GM games (myself being another). He would most commonly run SWRPG, while my experience has been with D&D. Anyway, the group thought it would be a good tribute to play one last game in his memory. While the SWRPG Saga Edition is a bit out of date now, it seems the most fitting given his fondness for it (and SW in general). However, I don't have much experience running it, but more importantly, I am also somewhat inexperienced in coming up with something from scratch; I've tended to use pre-made modules for the games I've run. So anyway, would this be the best place to workshop, or could someone direct me to a more appropriate forum? I've already asked over at the WotC boards, but Wizards no longer holds the SW license, so there's no corresponding place over there anymore. While Fantasy Flight Games now holds the license, the FFG system is considerably different from the d20 rules of Saga edition, and I'm completely unfamiliar with it (as would be all the players), so that doesn't seem like the right location either.

delericho

Legend
What books do you have? And what areas, in particular, do you need help with - ideas, mechanics, etc?

If you've run any of the most recent three editions of D&D, you already know more or less how SWSE will play, as they're all based on much the same underlying structure. So you shouldn't have too much trouble adapting.

GeerBox

First Post
Yes, I'm not too concerned with the actual running the adventure part. I'm familiar with playing SWSE, and running D&D, particularly 4e, which is very similar in operation. My main concern is with the actual adventure creation, for which I am a novice.

Pretty much all of the books are available to me, so that's not an issue. I think I've come up with a reasonable outline for the plot. I didn't want to post it yet since it's a fair-sized chunk of text, and I first needed to see if this was a good place to post it to begin with. I'm looking for some ideas and assistance with fleshing out more of the details; there are some gaps in content at present that I'm not sure how best to fill.

GeerBox

First Post
Ah, thanks for the tip, jayoungr. I was not aware of that forum. It looks like a good place for ideas as well.

One of the additional issues is that I'm not sure how many players there will end up being. It could potentially be as high as 7. Thus, whatever encounters there are should be fairly easily scalable to the actual number.

GeerBox

First Post
Anyway, here's what I've come up with so far. Apologies in advance for the block of text.

----------

This will be for several 1st level players, in a one-shot adventure. I fully expect there to be at least one Jedi Padawan amongst the heroes since, let’s face it, this is Star Wars. Also, a Jedi is about the only reasonable method of providing on-the-fly healing in Saga Edition; medpacs and whatnot are really crappy.

We start with a cold opening, “roll for initiative”. The heroes are in a battle, providing support for a squad of Clone Troopers attempting to destroy some tank or artillery or some other type of heavy weapon from the droid army. Said squad will have almost gotten the job done (plant the bomb, do a large amount of damage, etc.), but will tragically take a heavy blast from the weapon, wiping out the squad almost completely, if not entirely. (Reasons for this will soon be apparent.) This leaves the heroes to do one small task (e.g. push the button on the detonator that went flying in the blast) to finish the job. The enemies then retreat. I may alternately use a portion of the “Bridge 242” mini-adventure from the Galaxy at War book, which tasks the players with blowing up a shield generator protecting a bridge.

The heroes contact base HQ to notify them of their success, where the Jedi Master(s) there congratulates them. (These being the same Master(s) under which our Padawan(s) study.) The conversation is short-lived, though, as the transmission is suddenly cut off…

… because Order 66 has just been invoked.
(This explains why there must be no Clone Troopers anywhere near our heroes, at least not ones that aren’t practically on death’s door. Our Level 1 heroes would be no match for them.)

In the pain felt by anyone Force-sensitive, experiencing Jedis being slaughtered across the galaxy, there is a knock at the door. Our Padawan awakens from the nightmare reliving that fateful day.

(Note: I would like to put in some sort of escape here for the heroes, as they are forced to flee a planet containing Clone Troopers who have been ordered to kill any remaining Jedi there are, but it could be trouble if things go south. Even so, should things go awry, that could also just be part of the nightmare. I’m not a fan of the “all just a dream” out, though. I’d like the preceding to be a memory of actual events.)

And so begins the true adventure. (Consider the above a sort of interactive cutscene, if you will.)

The knock is from someone letting us know it is time for the memorial service to begin. A small crowd has discreetly gathered to commemorate the fallen Jedi. They players can discuss their relationship to the masters, if desired; how they knew them, fond memories, etc. As part of the service, the heroes are tasked with returning the personal effects of the Master to the homeworld, as is part of the tradition for that world and/or species. Among the effects is a favorite poem of the Master’s, from a famous prophet/bard/writer of the homeworld, entitled “Opening the Heart”. It espouses the futility of conflict and the desire for peace, and how when only time remains, only then with the heart be opened. It seemed particularly poignant given the Clone Wars, so the Master wants the Padawan to heed its words should some terrible fate befall him.

So, circle wipe, and the players are headed to the homeworld. There’s a problem, though – as part of Order 66, all Jedi and their supporters have been branded traitors to and enemies of the newly-formed Empire. (Ideally, I’d like this to be a planet known to have generally supported the formation of the Empire at its inception.) The players must head to the council of a “holy city”, the latter of which also named after the above mentioned prophet, in order to petition the council to allow the belongings to be returned to the sacred grounds, the “Heart of {Prophet}” at the center of the city. The council is divided; on one hand, some do not want the remains and the associates of a criminal to be given access to the grounds. On the other hand, the Jedi Master was up to recently very well regarded on the planet, so some are hard-pressed to believe the charges. The heroes can negotiate with the council to be allowed access.

On success: The heroes will be given access to the grounds. However, one of the most zealous members of the council will surreptitiously contact the local security force, who will try to block them from getting there. They may fight the force, evade them, negotiate or bribe, whatever choice they’d like to take.

On failure: The heroes are denied access, and a larger security force is called to arrest the heroes. However, one of the particularly helpful supporters of the Master on the council offers to lead the heroes to some secret passages below the council chambers to escape. The passages will end up having their own type of hazards, perhaps some nasty critters have nested there, or maybe some sort of trap as a security measure. The tunnels could be an option even on a success.

Ultimately, the heroes arrive at the sacred grounds. There, they face one final challenge: the gates to the grounds are closed with some sort of puzzle lock (which I shall be adapting or blatantly ripping off from a Professor Layton game) :p . However, the players already have a clue in their possession. Remember the very important poem mentioned earlier? It’s also the key to how to open the lock. The lock is mostly intended just to keep the riff-raff out, and anyone with knowledge of the works of the Prophet should be able to figure out how to enter. I’m hoping they’ll clue in with enough references to the Prophet’s name, the “heart”, and other similarities to the poem’s contents sprinkled into the conversations and dealings up to this point. If they don’t clue in, or can’t solve the puzzle, there are alternative methods of entering (e.g. scale the walls, the Padawan can slice open the gates with a lightsaber, or something else the players might think of). The alternatives could lead to more conflict with the local authorities, though.

In any case, finally, the belongings are laid to rest and the heroes can say their farewells. As they leave, there is a light that turns their attention back. They get a glimpse of the Jedi Master(s) Force ghost (“blue glowie”) smiling at them one last time before it fades away.

----------

Going with the Order 66 theme solved a few problems for me. I knew I wanted some sort of a “commemorate a fallen comrade” theme for the adventure, to reflect the purpose of both the PCs and the players. The fallen comrade in-game was meant to be an expy of out recently departed friend IRL. In the plot, I knew there had to be some sort of opposition to the heroes, to prevent them from the completing the final task, from getting the MacGuffin to its destination. That could entail the villain trying to steal the object or otherwise just prevent it from getting there for some reason. However, I wasn’t sure what the best MacGuffin would be. Then the Order 66 approach hit me. If the PCS were suddenly outlaws, it’s not so much the items transported that were important, but the PCs themselves. This makes the specific items themselves largely irrelevant. It also enables me to do something that my friend liked to do when he GMed – he’d often ask the players to describe what they see in the building or the setting, rather than describe it himself. So, the players can decide what the other personal effects are, what the council chamber looks like, etc.

So, this leaves me with the following to workshop. I need to work out:
- what sort of heavy weapon the troops face at the beginning
- the security forces on the planet
- most notably, what should go in the secret passages beneath the chambers. A thought: The council member who aids their escape might warn them to keep an eye out for “sewer rats”. These could optionally be actual rats, e.g. scaled-down or reflavoured womp rats, or a gang of criminals using the tunnels as a hideout (possibly even called the “Sewer Rats”).

There’s also an option for a space battle, either when trying to leave the memorial for the homeworld, or when arriving at the homeworld. That would be more elements to figure out. In all, I want to make sure there’s a decent mix of roleplaying, non-combat solutions, and some combat, for those players who create characters geared towards the latter. At present, I don’t know that there’s much combat content, apart from the first pseudo-battle.

delericho

Legend
There's a lot of good stuff there. I especially like that you've planned routes for both 'success' and 'failure' options in places, so that if the PCs fail to negotiate (for example), it's not a roadblock.

Three thoughts:

1) Needs more action. In particular, the Star Wars movies all start with action (attack on Naboo, Tantive IV vs Star Destroyer, Hoth, Jabba's Palace), have action in the middle (pod race, speeded bikes), and then have a big action scene at the end (trench run, escape from Bespin...). Your outline has the first two, but ends with the puzzle lock rather than a big set piece - I would recommend at least having some Imperials show up just as the lock is opened, or something.

2) For a one-shot, you should probably beef up medkits and the like to provide plenty of in-game healing. Or just let everyone return to full hit points after each encounter.

3) I wouldn't bother with the space battle. Honestly, you've got enough, plus it's fair to say that those rules aren't the very best part of SWSE (or d20 systems in general) - they depend too much on the stats of the ship, and nowhere near enough on the stats of the crew.

GeerBox

First Post
Thanks for the comments, delericho. My thoughts:

1. I'll need to be careful how much combat there ends up being, since it typically takes the longest amount of time to run (especially with potentially up to 7 PCs). I don't know yet exactly how much time I'll have in total to run this, but I'd expect a single afternoon and/or evening. It also doesn't help that the players are scattered around somewhat, so at least some of them would be joining in on-line, which also tends to slow things down somewhat. (BTW, in the past the games have been run with MapTool, but I expect I'll end up using Roll20 this time, since there are fewer software and platform dependencies/requirements.)
I can come up with something, but it should probably be an optional encounter, in case we run short on time. It may also seem slightly disingenuous, for example, if the group takes the tunnels to avoid security forces, but end up facing them anyway. I could maybe make the encounter probability dependent on how stealthfully they get out of the council building if they go that route.
Aside: Upon reflection, "Imperials" is a correct, but in a sense weird, description of their enemies. After all, at this point in the timeline, the Empire will have been in existence for something like a month at most. :p

2. That's a pretty good idea. Since they're going to be starting in a battle zone, maybe they can have some sort of "combat trauma" kits that provide a temporary boost to health and condition, but which wear off after a time, at which point you need to be treated properly. (I forget; does SWSE have temp HP?) Returning to full HP shouldn't be an issue either; it's implied that there's been some time between the first battle and the "main" events, during which everyone can have healed. If there needs to be an HP reset between the council chambers/tunnel and the sacred grounds, I could potentially even artificially level them up and reset their HP that way. Nothing much happens between level 1 and 2 IIRC, apart from an HP increase, attack bonus goes up by 1, and a gain of a feat. It's not like I or anyone else is going to be tracking XP carefully in a one-off anyway.
Edit: I'll also have to be careful they don't try to use those "combat trauma" kits on the injured Clone Troopers in the first battle...

3. I tend to agree. Also, the few ship battles I've been in have been a bit boring; they seem to depend largely on the position/role of the character, with few options. E.g. as the pilot: "Well, okay, I guess I'll end up moving the ship the one square it can move, and, um, only the concussion missiles are at this station? Fine, I press that button, end of turn." (Although, that one time I remotely hacked the computer of the attacking ship was fun...)

Last edited:

Remove ads