A Scarred Lands version of "The Apocalypse Stone" (Comments requested)

gambler1650

Explorer
For those who don't know of it, The Apocalypse Stone was an adventure (campaign for high level characters actually) for 2nd Edition AD&D that involved the PCs doing something they thought was good, and causing the end of the world. I liked the concept, but I didn't like the heavy handed approach the module took to make sure the players wouldn't find out anything was amiss at the beginning (things like detect alignment, any type of lie detection spells, etc not being permitted to work at all).

Still, I loved the idea, and while reading the Ghelspad campaign setting for the Scarred Lands, came up with this concept... Have the players do something that could eventually tear Scarn apart forever... and with no Scarn, the remnants of the Titans could eventually recombine. The idea for this campaign came about through three disparate elements:

1. The cycles of the Titans. It's implied (at least to me) that the cycle is actually continuing, with it being the Epoch of Denev. Yes, she 'merged with the land' and took herself out of the immediate lives of the inhabitants, but it's done to repair the damage called by the Divine War and this is really the best way for her to do it.. so her actions affect this epoch as much as any other Titan's ever affected his or hers.

2. The Aquifer of Denev. Supposedly the place where Denev merged with the Earth, and therefore where she is most powerful... and most vulnerable.

3. The acorns of a tree rumored to be able to destroy a Titan forever. Don't recall what it was called, but the tree lived in a region that no longer permits acorns planted there to grow. In other places, the trees don't grow to full strength...

So... Druids of Denev altruistically decide to recover these trees and allow them to grow to their full potential. They ask for the PCs to bring an acorn of this tree to Denev's Aquifer and plant it (or perhaps an infiltrator of Mormo or another evil Titan who realize the best way to bring back the cycles is to destroy Scarn in its current incarnation. Perhaps even Denev herself helped the Gods because she realized this was her way to start her part of the cycle, and she knows it eventually must come to an end for things to not stagnate). This fits in really nicely with the Serpent Amorpha cycle, since the PCs are asked to go to Denev's Aquifer, but the first free adventure on the web page is for 2nd level characters. The DM could create a short adventure where the PCs are asked to recover one of the acorns before being granted admission. This would also raise first level characters to second or third level.

PCs will certainly forget about the acorn as time passes. The small sapling will grow, quite slowly, perhaps even over two to three campaigns worth of adventures (the first PCs die or pass on to become powerful NPCs) so as to allow Denev a proper epoch. Finally, things start to go wrong.. Corruption begins in Denev's Aquifer as the tree's roots start to push deeper, finding Denev's essence, beginning to slide through it, push it apart.. Scarn reacts the same way, with earthquakes and volcanos. The PCs begin to realize where the problem is, only now.. so do other Titanspawn, some of which go to Denev's aquifer to protect the tree, allowing it to complete its destruction of Denev, and Scarn both, freeing the Titans who will create a new world.. one where Denev's spirit is reborn so that the cycle can begin anew...

Whatcha think?

Last edited:

Yeoman

First Post
Seriously, that is the coolest multi campaign idea I've heard in a long long time. Try emailing Nightfall for some more ideas, since he's is the Sage of all things SL.

Again, awesome idea! :)

gambler1650

Explorer
Yeoman,

Thanks! One of the main problems with the Apocalypse Stone outside of the heavy handedness I mentioned is that there is no
information the players can gather to even hint at the final outcome. In short, the apocalypse wasn't really a part of the campaign.

So... The more I think about it, the more I think the overall arc should be under Denev's direction. The books so far all state that Denev is viewed as more or less 'good' by the people of Scarn even if she still has a Titan's mentality. Be nice to throw a monkey wrench into that belief. Not sure how to resolve the 'Healing the earth' with 'Eventually destroying the earth..' aspect. Perhaps when Scarn is destroyed the cycle begins using the old raw materials. Therefore if the world was predominantly evil, chaotic, filled with Titanspawn, the Titans will be shifted towards the evil end of the spectrum on their rebirth. Maybe Denev's healing of Scarn is merely to bring life/death, good/evil, law/chaos into neutrality again before it's destroyed.

Anyhow.. I'll prolly toss the idea Nightfall's way, see if he has any thoughts on the matter.

Robert

Yeoman

First Post
Now I admit I'm not as well read on the Scarred Lands as some, but as each Titan's epoch changes, they reshape the world in their image correct? Then perhaps in Denev's mind the best way to heal the land is to "reincarnate" it by allowing herself to die and be reborn. That could lead to an interesting conflict between Denev's older worshippers and her newer (Post Divine War) worshippers. At certain points in the campaign arc, you could have odd natural effects pop up (the odd earthquake, or strange weather) from time to time until the time of rebirth is nearing (I.E when you are ready to run the campaign to stop Scarn's destruction) when they suddenly increase in intensity and frequency, or perhaps rumors other party's might hear of some sort of conflict among Denev's faithful. I might have to check out the Apocalypse Stone now, might be a good mine for ideas. :)

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Wow. Nice. I like it. I don't know what you'd call that tree (there are couple out there.) but that has to be one of the best SL ideas I've read in some time. As for Denev, perhaps after a long slumber she's decided she made a mistake...and decides to have her druids "restart" the world, destroying it whole sale and then remaking it using a few other titans to do so. Or even better, when she absorbed Golthain, part of his essence remained. That is what is now influencing her to cause this devastation. In any case I like the idea and I think you should definately run with it.

gambler1650

Explorer
Nice to see some good comments on this and seems as if the concept is worthwhile. Of course my problem at the moment is I have no RPG group and since I may be moving again soon (job funding drying up) it's on hold til I get something stable or go the NWN/SL route (tough since NWN is FR based). Still, it gives me more time to flesh things out...

Robert

Nightfall

Well you could run it online...I'd be happy to play. :) *Finally! A chance to run a SL PC! :)* Now it depends on what format you want to use online, but I run two chat games based of En World mIRC chat. That works for me, but if you want something different, I'm sure something can be worked out.

gambler1650

Explorer
Yeah but you know the secret Nightfall! :) Seriously, I may think about running a SL online campaign but I'd be likely to use one of two formats:

1. Neverwinter Nights - Yes, I know, it's a Forgotten Realms style setting, and also everyone might not have the software/hardware to run it, therefore it's my least likely choice.

2. Using a MUSH I can set up on my machine. Text only, real time conversation, ability to use descriptions in areas to set the scene..

Or alternatively I could do the EN world style.. Nevertheless it's unlikely to be anything run anytime soon, I will be sure to mention it if it is however. Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Robert Gamble

Nightfall

gambler1650 said:
Yeah but you know the secret Nightfall! :)

Yeah but you'd be suprised how well I forget things. ;) Besides I never...(pause).. okay maybe never is a bad choice but rarely use in character info when I'm playing.

gambler1650 said:
Seriously, I may think about running a SL online campaign but I'd be likely to use one of two formats:

1. Neverwinter Nights - Yes, I know, it's a Forgotten Realms style setting, and also everyone might not have the software/hardware to run it, therefore it's my least likely choice.

2. Using a MUSH I can set up on my machine. Text only, real time conversation, ability to use descriptions in areas to set the scene..

Or alternatively I could do the EN world style.. Nevertheless it's unlikely to be anything run anytime soon, I will be sure to mention it if it is however. Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Robert Gamble

Np. Like I said I would like to play, but NWN style, can't do (don't have the system for it.) Mush would be decent, depending on stuff. But in any case what ever happens I hope it works out for you.

Remove ads