[D20 Modern] WWII Adventurers[Recruiting]

GWolf

First Post
Hello, I am slowly falling back to earth after a period of minor illness and extreme stress/busyness, and I'd like to start a new game.

The game would be d20 Modern fit to work in WWII, I would be using Grim-n-Gritty Hp system, as well as The Sleeping Imperium Martial Arts system.

The idea of the campigan would be a group of people (not part of the army) are funded (by the US/UK gov't) to do all types of spying/sabotaging and perhaps combat. There will be different types of missions - Predetermined (IE going to destroy a certain airplane) - Opprtunistic (Well, while we are in the area why not)
- Character (Based on Background) - Forced (Escape from POW Camp) and -Battle (You need to go battle for the Allied Army (not likely to happen/much)

I am looking for 4 people, post about one time a day, Characters put up asap.

Level 1
Hp as per grim n gritty
Wealth 4+Other Mods (Windfall etc) (Can request gear after game start)
2 paragraph - page background

I'd like to see some variation among characters, not four weapon masters or not four super spys.

Remember Tech level is Late 1941 (No STG 44's to say)
When you buy a gun (if you do at character creation let me know and I will stat it)

ErichDragon

First Post
I am definitely in. Point buy? How many? etc.

Also, do you have a link to the martial arts system you referenced?

Last edited:

ErichDragon

First Post
Sean Donlon

**Submitted for your approval**

Fast Hero 1

STR 12 +1 HP: 14
DEX 14 +2 Def: 14
CON 14 +2 MAS: 14
INT 14 +2 Wealth: 1
WIS 14 +2 Reputation: 0
CHA 10 +0

BAB: +0
Melee: +2
Ranged: +2

Fort: +2
Ref: +3
Will: +2

Occupation: Criminal (Personal Firearms Prof., Hide, Move Silently)

Talents: Evasion

Feats: Simple Weapons Proficiency, Personal Firearms Proficiency, Advanced Firearms Proficiency, Weapon Focus: Thompson SMG

Skills:
Drive 3 +5
Hide 4 +7
Know: Street 4 +6
Move Silently 4 +7
Sleight of Hand 4 +6
Spot 0 +2
Listen 0 +2
Prof: Hired Gun 1 +1
Speak: English, Spanish, Gaelic (Irish), French
Read/Write: English, Spanish

Equipment:
Thompson .45 Submachinegun ( I valued it DC 15 as per M16 )
Colt M1911 .45 Pistol
500 Rounds .45 Ammunition
2 100 Round Drum Magazines (SMG)
4 30 Round Box Magazines (SMG)
4 7 Round Box Magazines (Pistol)

Description:

Height: 5'10"
Weight: 165 lbs.
Hair: Light Brown - short but kind of wild looking
Eyes: Brown

Sean is of slight build but strong and quick. He walks with an easy grace and is rarely flustered. He has the bold features of the Irish with the slightly dusky complexion of his Spanish ancestry, giving him a rather disarming appearance. He carries his 'Chicago Typewriter' like a pro, having become intimately familiar with it both on the streets of New York and the foothills of Spain.

Background:

Sean Donlon is the offspring of an Irish/American businessman and Spanish peasant girl. He spent his early childhood in Spain with his mother and her family. When he became a teenager he was sent to go to school in America, and stay with his father. Sean's father was very strict and had little love for the result of his brief affair. This drove Sean from his father and into the willing arms of the organized crime gangs of New York.

His luck and wits helped him rise to the top of the organized crime family. Soon he was the number one enforcer for the Westies. In a bid for power on the streets, Sean killed the leader of a rival Italian gang and was forced to flee the country. He took refuge with his mother's family in Spain.

It was early 1936, and Civil War was emminent in Spain. His mother's family were staunch loyalists, and tried to fight the Fascists under Franco. Sean saw his aunts, uncles and even young cousins, tortured and murdered at the hands of the Fascists. Needless to say, he developed a deep hatred for the Fascists. Sean and his mother barely escaped into France before Franco won total victory. They made their way to stay with Sean's fater's relatives in Dublin.

It was here that Sean came to the attention of (whatever group / agency we are going to work for). His experience in combat and on the streets can be invaluable to any covert operation.

Last edited:

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
I like the grim-n-gritty rules. They have a sense of humor, too. From one of the examples: "... so the monkey gains no real benefit from the toughness feat. Poor monkey." :D

Right. I already know what I'm making, and I'll stat 'er up right away, but it'll be incomplete since I don't know what classes get which defence bonus and which get which hit point bonus. Doing it as per BAB, like it's reccommended to be done in D&D, is proboably a bad idea- most classes have the same BAB (medium), the strong hero would have more HP than the tough hero (and a better defence then the fast hero), etc. Proboably though, like BAB, not to many core classes should have "poor" anything.

Also good to know is what armor provides what bonus. And whether massive damage saves, as written in d20 modern, still apply, or whether the "wound trauma" rules take precedent. And whether all guns have 10 armor penetration, as written. Which of the "varient rules" are you using?

Basically, how does this apply to d20 modern? Thanks! Character should come up in a bit. (Tough 1, if it matters).

GWolf

First Post
you determine the advancement thingy by die type. A tough hero has the best one.

Would you like you use Wound Truama or the The Regular d20m massive damage rules.

GWolf

First Post
Dragon, sheet looks pretty good, Colt 45 Damage is as d20 Modern, and the SMG does the same damage as that (2d6 damage I believe). Yo

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
Sonja Perks

Tough Hero 1

STR 12 +1 HP: 16
DEX 16 +3 Def: +4
CON 15 +2
INT 10 +0 Wealth: 1
WIS 14 +2 Reputation: 0
CHA 8 -1

BAB: +0
Melee: +3
Ranged: +3

Fort: +3
Ref: +3
Will: +2

Talents: Energy Resistance: Cold

Feats: Simple Weapons Proficiency, Personal Firearms Proficiency, Track, Far Shot

Skills:
Climb 0 +2
Concentration 3 +5
Prof: Hunter 1 +3
Spot 4 +6
Survival 4 +7
Speak: English
Read/Write: English

Equipment:
Liscenced Winchester 94 (.444 hunting rifle) or equivalent (purchased at same DC)
53 rounds ammunition
Knife
Backpack
Fatigues
Compass

Description:

Height: 5'6
Weight: 120 lbs.
Hair: Dark Brown – roughly hacked off at neck level, more often than not pulled out of face and into one or more ponytails by various stray pieces of string
Eyes: Brown

Sonja is small but surprisingly tough for her size. Her skin has a very weathered look, her world war I-era fatigues are torn and patched up again inexpertly and a little bit to big; she’s not very clean, as if she’s spent a very long time outside. Which, of course, she has. Her rifle is her prized possession and her meal ticket, and she takes very good care of it.

Background:

Sonja has spent the last two years in the New Hampshire wilderness, living entirely off the land. Long story.

Her father was an American serviceman in World War I; her mother was a Russian farmer’s daughter who her father met in Europe and who he helped escape the bloodshed that encompassed Russia in particular and Europe in general. He was a New Hampshire native, and he settled there after the war with Sonja’s mother. There they lived until Sonja was born in the years immediately following the war.

Things went downhill from there. Sonja’s mother was a small woman, much like Sonja herself, and her small frame meant she handled birthing poorly. She died several years later of illnesses related to those problems. Her father did his best to take care of her, after that, and raised her in his isolated New Hampshire home in a way that was quite unorthodox. He hunted often, and was a skilled woodsman, and rather than leaving his daughter alone in the cabin, he took her along with him when he went out. Sonja was practically raised wild, and loved it.

Unfortunately, this was not to last. Her father had an encounter with a bear that left him badly weakened with injuries that eventually killed him. Only 17 years of age, Sonja’s closest relatives were her father’s cousin, who lived in Boston. She had visited there once, and had hated it with a passion- awful, crowded, dirty, noisy city! But they had custody, so there she would go.

Or not. She grabbed her father’s rifle, combat knife, camoflauge fatigues (her father was only a little bit taller than she was) and a few other supplies, and headed out in to the woods. She’s completely reverted to a state of nature- she hasn’t seen another human being up close in a year, she hasn’t spoken more than a hundred words since she left, and has gone almost feral. How she survived would be a mystery to anyone who actually knew she was out there (her father’s family has given her up for dead)- a teenage braving New England winters without shelter or warm clothing.

She has a little money that she keeps with her, and every few months or so goes in to town to buy some thread to sew up a rip, or similar small items. She’s become something of a legend among the locals- the strange wild girl that a hunter will occasionally catch a glimpse of. She doesn’t know the date, or that she’s reached her majority and wouldn’t have to go to Boston even if they did find her. She’s quite content with her life, although she hasn’t really thought about it- her thought processes are like an animal: find food, find water, survive.

With the ability to survive in the wilderness for two years with minimal supplies (and the fact that she can down a deer at three hundred feet with her hunting rifle), it’s obvious she has skills that could be employed at war. The only question is how they’d go about recruiting her.

ooc: I assumed that, since the Tough Hero has the second best defense progression in d20 modern, it'd have the second best in grim-n-gritty.

I think wound trauma is a good idea, since hit points no longer represent dodging- you get shot, you're going to be unhappy. Skip massive damage- it's already taken care of (and if a shot deals more than your con score, you're already suffering severe wounds). The optional rule I was wondering about was severe bleeding- you only have to take 6 points of damage before things get nasty. I like it. :D If we're going for realistic, we should go all the way, I think.

By-the-by, a quick question about the cold resistance talent and enviormental effects. If it's cold outside, you make a fort save every hour or take 1d4 damage; if it's really cold, you make one every ten or take 1d6. My question is, that since this damage is 1d4 per hour or 1d6 per 10 minutes, and I ignore the first 2 points of cold damage per round, and I immune to cold enviormental effects? If not, I may have to go for broke (literally :p) and buy a parka- otherwise, it doesn't make sense that she'd survive her sojurn in the wilderness...

Edit: Changed last name. See why! I thought it was amusing, anyway.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases