Avengers: Age of Ultron (spoilers)

delericho

Legend
Just back from this. And, yeah, it's great. Probably on a par with Thor 2 or Cap 2, but a little behind the first Avengers film.

That said, I don't think there were any stand-out lines like in the first one. The whole script is very, very good, but it's not quite as quotable.

In case you're wondering: there's a mid-credits scene, but no after-credits scene. So don't bother waiting for one!

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Does a ragtag group of heroes spend the third act defending against an overwhelming that from the sky?

horacethegrey

First Post
I thought it was good. Slightly better than the first film but not as good last year's Guardians of the Galaxy.

James Spader was great as Ultron, though his take is much different from the one in the comics. While he was an effective antagonist and suitable foil to our heroes, he still falls short of Tom Hiddleston's Loki, who was the highlight of the first film.

So yeah, won't spoil anything here. Suffice to say that in this film we get a couple of good newcomers (Elizabeth Olsen and Aaron Taylor Johnson as the Maximoff twins), a surprising romance, and a secret about one of our Avengers that even leaves the others stumped.

The negatives of the film I'll mention later on.

Oh... and watch out for Paul Bettany as the Vision. The best new addition to the film. :cool:

Bagpuss

Legend
So yeah, won't spoil anything here.

[sblock]
Oh... and watch out for Paul Bettany as the Vision. The best new addition to the film. :cool:
[/sblock]

Erm isn't that a pretty major spoiler? Although I've been avoiding the trailers before seeing the film last Friday.

I think the only thing I knew before going into the film was Ultron was in it, the twins (due to the after credits scene) and the Hulk Buster from seeing the Lego tie in.

Last edited:

I had fun.

The stakes were decent, and I liked the heroes being heroic. But.

"Age of Ultron"

The age lasted about a week. As Thor would say, "Oh, that's the whole story?"

One scene I wish they'd tweaked:

[sblock]Ultron comes flying in shooting folks in the quinjet, shoots the Hulk, and strafes onward. Hawkeye looks up and figures "I'm gonna get shot," and Quicksilver swoops in to save the day.

But we don't have any wide shots to establish where everyone is in relation to each other, and how screwed Hawkeye is. I'd say show that there's no cover to dive to, no allies in sight to help, no possible way they can survive, and then he closes his eyes and looks away. And when you cut to the close shot, you realize he's been saved.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Bagpuss

Legend
"Age of Ultron"

The age lasted about a week. As Thor would say, "Oh, that's the whole story?"

Be a whole other movie if they were going to have some sort of prolonged timeline, with Ultron ruling the world. Also the solution wouldn't have been anywhere near as simple, if Ultron was across the entire planet rather than mostly in one location.

Might have been better, might have been worse, would probably have been a harder to film/script, but year didn't really feel like an Age, I doubt most of the population even noticed Ultron.

[sblock]I would have perhaps liked to see a film where Ultron starts out as benevolent, trying to enforce peace with an iron hand. Overtime slowly realising that it is an impossible task so comes the conclusion that humanity needs to be eliminated. Be a very different film though.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
None of us liked it all that much. It felt like quite a mess, with the standard Marvel big battle ending; and the Whedon witty dialogue asides are starting to grate a little, making everybody sound the same. It had great bits, for sure (Hulkbuster armour - though why doesn't he use that all the time, and, hey, Hulk can be knocked out with a punch now?) but the whole was kinda lacking cohesion. Mass explosions and Whedon quips.

Of the series, Cap 2 is by far the best movie, followed by Avengers 1, then Iron Man 1.

Be a whole other movie if they were going to have some sort of prolonged timeline, with Ultron ruling the world. Also the solution wouldn't have been anywhere near as simple, if Ultron was across the entire planet rather than mostly in one location.

Might have been better, might have been worse, would probably have been a harder to film/script, but year didn't really feel like an Age, I doubt most of the population even noticed Ultron.

[sblock]I would have perhaps liked to see a film where Ultron starts out as benevolent, trying to enforce peace with an iron hand. Overtime slowly realising that it is an impossible task so comes the conclusion that humanity needs to be eliminated. Be a very different film though.[/sblock]

Well the comic line that it's based on used time travel and two alternate Earths and a number of non-avenger characters. I enjoyed the movie enough to plan to see it again.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases