Party at a party [Winter's End players, stay out!]

kengar

First Post
So the high CHA sorcerer has got the Leadership feat and is looking for a cleric cohort. He's got some zany scheme involving throwing a big bash at the Revel of Sune in Silverymoon. The rest of the party is "working security" and the sorcerer has hired dancing girls, a band, etc.

What I'm looking for are some ideas about ways to make this whole thing interesting to play for everyone. The sorcerer's player is totally into it because he loves working these convoluted plans. The rest of the group might not be so excited though. I don't want the party to turn into a complete melee, but I want some action to keep it interesting.

Any ideas? The session is tonight and I'm hoping to avoid having to just gloss over the party or have things drag for the group as a whole. I wasn't able to get much written this week because of real-life interference and the group taking up my free time with questions about buying magic items, etc. when they got back to town. :rolleyes:

Thanks.

Angelsboi

First Post
well im doing the same thing this friday. I would suggest some heroic melee, you know, swinging from chandeliers and such. Whats the party make up and level?

kengar

First Post
5 PCs 7th-8th level

1 Male Human Fighter
1 Male Human Sorc (Party-boy)
1 Male Human Rogue/Ftr/Cleric
1 Female Half-Orc Barbarian
1 Female Moon Elf Ranger/Wiz

I'm thinking maybe a "Stop! Thief!" situation or something like that.

Oh, and total crowd would probably be 200-400 people.

Corwyn

First Post
An other approach you could take is to throw in some thieves operating the party and the players, who being security, have to look into.
And thorw in a doppelganger plot to replace a prominent social person at the party...
That should keep them occupied.
Of course this could still en up with a grand melee.

Angelsboi

First Post
well, as i look at this make-up, melee is inevitable im afraid:

1 Male Human Fighter, 1 Female Half-Orc Barbarian
Security. Throw in a couple of low level thugs for them to take out.

1 Male Human Sorc (Party-boy)
Let him make some contacts and he's of course, throwing the party

1 Male Human Rogue/Ftr/Cleric
Let him be approached by some thieves from a guild who mistake him for one of their rendevouz. This may set up future adventures.

1 Female Moon Elf Ranger/Wiz
Someone has been kidnapped or is missing and people are looking for a bounty hunter. She can track and find the person

Maerdwyn

First Post
Drinking contests, or even just endless toasting accompanied by drink will make the party interesting. Security has to calm things down, without offending NPC who are of higher social status, etc.

Someone (a spurned lover, someone rejected as a cohort, etc. "Spikes the punch." Wasn't there a 2e cleric spell called "Feast of Dissention" that made everyone who partook of the meal start to argue?

The doppleganger idea is good. Or, consider a lycanthrope of some sort.

Catering mix-up. ("Hmm. This beef tastes strange." "Um...yeah...beef. That's the ticket.") Local druids get mad and arrive to shut down the Revels. They have to be kept away from the celebration without using deadly force or make the problem bigger.

drnuncheon

Explorer
Use the party to advance any ongoing plots you've got.

Bring in big names from the area (you did invite the big names, didn't you?) and have them bring their own agendas to the party.

Drop hooks for the future. Maybe someone - one of the staff- hears or sees something they shouldn't, and winds up on the run, or dead.

Someone important that didn't get invited crashes the party.

Someone challenges a PC to a duel for an insult, real or imagined - or upsets a PC (the barbarian, most likely) enough to provoke a fight. What if it's deliberate? What if they're there to disrupt the party?

An aging widowed noblewoman decides that one of the PCs should be her next consort. Make sure she's powerful enough that they won't want to upset her. If there's a character who's trying to romance someone, she should go after him. If there are thieves, she should be their planned target.

Remove ads