D&D 5E Dungeons and Dragons and the RPG Stigma

A curious thing happened to me today that I'm guessing has happened around a dozen times ove the last year. I work at a hospital essentially as a unit clerk, and as such I have quite a bit of time on my hands. Recently, I've taken to bringing my 5E books to prepare for material for upcoming sessions, and generally work on my campaign setting. I've recieved a few comments on it, generally curiosity, with very little of it being negative (in fact, a coworker recently has wanted to start playing, which I found extremely pleasing.). But today, a doctor approached who I hold in high regard, someone whom I hope will write a recommendation for me for medical school. The second he saw the book, he seemed incredulous that I would play it. Contempt was dripping from his voice, and he warned me to not bring up this hobby to the admissions boards under any circumstances. Not only that, but he went on, speaking in a stereotypical nasally nerd drawl, to the laughter of many of the nurses around.

This isn't something entirely new to me. I've had to deal with prejudice against nerds all my life. But in all those cases, it was children or teenagers doing the teasing, not adults, and it floored me how derisive he ws towards a simple hobby. With a resurgence of nerd culture into the mainstream, comic books and sci if action films being the highest grossing films, Skyrim and World of Warcraft being incredibly popular, I had thought maybe some of the stigma attached to D&D might have disappeared. It made my blood boil, and I truly had to take a moment to collect myself before I said something unprofessional.

has anyone else had similar issues recently? Any stories of good? I'm sincerely hoping that this is an isolated incident, but it doesnt make me hopeful for the brand or for RPGs In general.

redrick

First Post
A curious thing happened to me today that I'm guessing has happened around a dozen times ove the last year. I work at a hospital essentially as a unit clerk, and as such I have quite a bit of time on my hands. Recently, I've taken to bringing my 5E books to prepare for material for upcoming sessions, and generally work on my campaign setting. I've recieved a few comments on it, generally curiosity, with very little of it being negative (in fact, a coworker recently has wanted to start playing, which I found extremely pleasing.). But today, a doctor approached who I hold in high regard, someone whom I hope will write a recommendation for me for medical school. The second he saw the book, he seemed incredulous that I would play it. Contempt was dripping from his voice, and he warned me to not bring up this hobby to the admissions boards under any circumstances. Not only that, but he went on, speaking in a stereotypical nasally nerd drawl, to the laughter of many of the nurses around.

This isn't something entirely new to me. I've had to deal with prejudice against nerds all my life. But in all those cases, it was children or teenagers doing the teasing, not adults, and it floored me how derisive he ws towards a simple hobby. With a resurgence of nerd culture into the mainstream, comic books and sci if action films being the highest grossing films, Skyrim and World of Warcraft being incredibly popular, I had thought maybe some of the stigma attached to D&D might have disappeared. It made my blood boil, and I truly had to take a moment to collect myself before I said something unprofessional.

has anyone else had similar issues recently? Any stories of good? I'm sincerely hoping that this is an isolated incident, but it doesnt make me hopeful for the brand or for RPGs In general.

Wow, that's pretty bold-faced, especially coming from a colleague.

About a year ago, I told a friend of mine, with whom I'd played AD&D as a teenager, that I had taken it up again. His wife, whom I've also known for a decade, was learning that we had played D&D for the first time. She was shocked, and expressed some degree of "disgust," though she let it go very quickly, and we've talked about it together since. She plays Settlers of Catan frequently as well.

I don't talk about D&D at work at all. Co-workers with whom I am also friends outside of work know why I always hustle home on Thursday nights, but I've generally avoided bringing it up with anybody at the office.

Totally baseless conjecture, but I think the stigma is less about the fantasy components like elves and dragons, and more about the imaginative component. Board games and comic books maintain a very detached involvement that can easily be played for irony (the safest way for non-nerds to interact with anything nerdy). Actually role-playing a character requires much more direct involvement.

Mirtek

Hero
There's a reason why I would never mention my hobby at work and maintain a healthy distance from anything that could link me to D&D in a way an employer could see (not liking or following anything related to D&D on facebook or google plus for example), I just don't believe any good for my career could come from it

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Yeah, I think Morrus has the right of it. ;)

I don't know where you're located, or how old you or this doctor is but I get the impression this can also be a bit of an urban/rural thing or an age-based thing. Fantasy may be hip these days, but what's hip doesn't necessarily matter to well-insulated 50-year-old dinguses who haven't had to step outside of their comfort bubble in two decades.

I wouldn't sweat it much. Sucks that he's kind of an authority figure for ya, but just don't invite him to your gaming group and you should be OK. ;)

Agamon

Adventurer
Totally baseless conjecture, but I think the stigma is less about the fantasy components like elves and dragons, and more about the imaginative component. Board games and comic books maintain a very detached involvement that can easily be played for irony (the safest way for non-nerds to interact with anything nerdy). Actually role-playing a character requires much more direct involvement.

Who knows that much about it for that to be an issue, though? My thinking is people that are condescending towards RPGers are also quite likely to also be so towards comic readers, video gamers, cosplayers, board gamers, and any other "nerdy" hobbyists.

The funny thing is, a lot of the chafe comes from dudebros that drool over fantasy sports, but being a sports geek isn't really that far away from being a game geek (I would know, I'm both :p).

redrick

First Post
There's a reason why I would never mention my hobby at work and maintain a healthy distance from anything that could link me to D&D in a way an employer could see (not liking or following anything related to D&D on facebook or google plus for example), I just don't believe any good for my career could come from it

Every career is different, obviously. Personally, for me, I actually don't think I would have any problems if all the people I work with knew I played D&D. Some of them might make fun of me for it, and maybe even some wouldn't hire me back (as a freelancer,) but I think it would balance out overall. I wish I had been less secretive about D&D when I was younger (when I was actually bullied for it) and I wish I were more open about it now!

That being said, I'm happy using a screenname for my internet postings on the subject, because I don't want my posts on ENWorld or Roll20 or elsewhere to be the first things that show up when employers google me. Just like I don't facebook friend those types of people.

Who knows that much about it for that to be an issue, though? My thinking is people that are condescending towards RPGers are also quite likely to also be so towards comic readers, video gamers, cosplayers, board gamers, and any other "nerdy" hobbyists.

This is an interesting point to me. Not many that I've talked to have even known what the game entails, apart from perhaps Community or The Big Bang Theory. It just seems to be engrained in them that D&D must be the ultimate nerdy thing, that only the überist of nerds would possibly play it. The fact that people have that prejudice to start out with makes me really concerned about this hobby ever becoming more popular.

Remove ads