V for Victory!

ErichDragon

First Post
Anyone else feel ripped off that the V for Victory rules in the latest Polyhedron are based off D&D 3E instead of d20 Modern?

Does anyone know of any rules, official, third party or on the net dealing with a WWII setting for d20 Modern?

Bagpuss

Legend
I suppose folks that didn't buy D20 Modern would be annoyed that they couldn't use V for Victory without buying D20 Modern.

Although saying that WWII sure more than any of the mini-games they have done so far suits the D20 Modern book (except Shadowchasers which is Modern).

I suppose one advantage is it means you arn't lumbered with D20 Moderns stupid autofire and burst fire rules.

Ranger REG

Explorer
ErichDragon said:

Anyone else feel ripped off that the V for Victory rules in the latest Polyhedron are based off D&D 3E instead of d20 Modern?
Are you referring to the mini-game written by Green Ronin's Chris Pramas (former Wizards emloyee)?

Do I feel ripped off? No.

It's a d20 mini-game. That means whether you have Player's Handbook, d20 Modern, Star Wars, Call of Cthulhu, or Wheel of Time core rulebook, you can play the game.

Just because it is a WWII genre game does not mean only d20 Modern gamers can play it. That defeat the purpose of d20 as a whole.

Comprendes? :rolleyes:

Does anyone know of any rules, official, third party or on the net dealing with a WWII setting for d20 Modern?
Why not adapt the mini-game rules into d20 Modern? It shouldn't be that too hard of a tweak.

It's d20, for Pete's sake!

aurin777

First Post
Incorporating is easy. In fact, very easy. The feats go over fine. Use the d20 modern classes.. adopt the skills. Tadaa, you're done. I did it, and I can't do anything :)
~~Brandon

daTim

First Post
I agree, it would be very easy to convert... I actually like the rules for automatic fire and flame throwers in V for Victory better than the ones in D20 Modern.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I too was very disappointed that this wasn't converted by the author for d20 Modern. I know they wrote most of it before d20 Modern, but damn they had an awful lot of time on their hands before print to change it. And really, they should have. They tried to reinvent the wheel on so many things, and yet could have benefitted from the extensive playtesting that d20 Modern had before going to print, as oppossed to the less-than-extensive playtesting all mini-games get (I believe they have just one team work on playtesting for minis). And I felt it shows. The guns are not balanced against each other, nor against the massive damage rules they proposed (which felt like an afterthought rather than a well-thought-out plan. Like they said to themselves "oh yeah, guns can kill people in one shot, we should put something in there about that!" after the bulk of the rules were already done). And, it seemed as if there were no multi-class rules (though I admit I might have missed it). If that's the case, I feel it detracts significantly from the fun of play.

Overall I am still glad they did this game, but disappointed they didn't take the time to convert it to d20 Modern.

Katowice

Explorer
A bit of the material in V4V is based on d20 Call of Cthulhu, which in my opinion is the first WOTC effort to adopt the d20 rules to a modern setting. The article even states that some of the skills come from that game. The weapon stats that overlap between V4V and CoC are also identical.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Mistwell said:
Overall I am still glad they did this game, but disappointed they didn't take the time to convert it to d20 Modern.
I'm not disappointed, although they could add a sidebar to adapt the mini-game to d20 Modern, which BTW the game's approach the author, Chris Pramas, did not use.

As I said, a d20 product would reach a wider audience, regardless what kind of Wizards' core rulebook they own, than a d20 Modern for d20 Modern audience only.

Having said that, I'm positive we'll see more d20 Modern mini-games in the near future.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases